Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: English Public School International Schools

vCash
    Thanks

English Public School International Schools

Does anyone have any kids at either of these schools?
    Know anyone who does?

I'm considering them for my daughter (at the moment she's just 3 1/2, but if it's anything like the system in UK then I'd have to put her name down now).

Their websites look promising, but don't show much about what sports they play; I can't see anything about rugby, cricket & hockey, for example (the standard English public school sports).

How are these schools viewed within Thailand?

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    که خدای وغواړی

Senior Member Array goo_stewart's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: English Public School International Schools

If you are talking about Harrow and Shrewsbury type schools then yes, they play rugby, cricket and all other sports. I spent an eventful year coaching teams which played these schools. They have top-notch facilities and they are very highly regarded and give some of the best education in Thailand.

They are pricey, very pricey to send kids to though.

vCash
    Thanks

600,000 baht up for the best schools. Per year per student. Mine just got a 50% scholarship to Harrow which I had to turn down as the cost with extra sport, field trips and the suc
    hk was getting to near 700,000 for the two of them. Thats yearly house payments in America. So as said before gotta go.

I dont recommend the lower and middle tier schools having been burned early. But I do wish you the best of luck and hope to hear good things.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

I'm Getting Out Array carlosisgod's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

My mate just got a job at Regents BKK. Gets free education for his daughter (She's
    41/2). Maybe u could try for something like that so you don't have to pay the high fees.

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks, guys. I know it's pricey by Thai standards, but compared to the English Harrow and Shrewsbury, it's unbelievably cheap (you're looking at around 2m Baht per year for those places). It seems, basically, like a really good deal.

I'm hoping that when I graduate in June, I'l be able to get a decent job, but it'll very likely be based either in UK or ME. And I am really only considering this for the high school/mattayom stage of my daughter's education - which gives me almost a decade to get a salary which can afford it.

As you can see, all a bit up in the air at the moment, but time flies, so it's good to know all this schooly stuff now, IMO.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

[QUOTE=carlosisgod]My mate just got a job at Regents BKK. QUOTE]

Any idea on the salary range at this school?..they are advertising at the moment...

A lousy and daring fellow Array Bubba's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Not one of the highest payers and the owner is a bit of a loon. I think starting salary is about 70K p/m at Regents.

But I might be wrong.

To the OP. Why not just get / aim for a job at one of these Intl. schools. Then your kids get free education. That's what I do.
    Nuts In A Blender

vCash
    Thanks

Bubba, it's a very good idea, with one tiny flaw: I hate teaching. I'm rubbish at teaching. Although I have 2 years' experience teaching in Thailand, I have no formal teaching qualifications whatsoever. That's why I've decided on a different path in life...

I'm Getting Out Array carlosisgod's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Loner...Salary for my mate is 120K a month. He'll be teaching ESL to mostly very small classes of Thai kids to help them when they are in the mainstream part of the school.
    Good salary and things being handled very professionaly by the school since my mate got the job.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlosisgod
    Loner...Salary for my mate is 120K a month.
    Hell, I'd live in BKK for that kind of money. The problem is I only have a degre, TEFL and 12 years experience. No teaching cert from home which I'm sure is needed for this kind of dosh.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

Thanks, guys. I know it's pricey by Thai standards, but compared to the English Harrow and Shrewsbury, it's unbelievably cheap (you're looking at around 2m Baht per year for those places). It seems, basically, like a really good deal.
    But the teachers at the British version of the schools will be very well qualified and competent and probably will have been there for a long long time. The turnover in the public school system in the UK is very low or people generally stay withing the public school system which ironically does not require a PGCE or any educational qualifications. Having met people from quite a few international schools in Thailand, most of them come from the state sector. This is not to say that those in the state system don't make the grade to teach in the public schools, just that there is a difference in the recruitment practices and pool of talent available and that as the public schools pay more, they can be more selective as to who they choose the employ.

Also the exam results for the British Schools are way better. Harrow (Thailand) got 82.1% of students with 5 GCSEs Grades A - C last year, average 72% over the last 5 years according to their website and I would imagine that the results for Harrow UK would be almost 100%. A Level results will also show a larger disparity I would imagine.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boonmee
    Bubba, it's a very good idea, with one tiny flaw: I hate teaching. I'm rubbish at teaching. Although I have 2 years' experience teaching in Thailand, I have no formal teaching qualifications whatsoever. That's why I've decided on a different path in life...
    Good luck Boonmee. nice to hear someone admit they don't like teaching and are no good at it raher than sticking it out and being unhappy. good luck in your hunt. Plcs like Harrow inte U.K i believe are in excess of 20k a year. i think they're more about who you know. my stepbrother registered his kids there at birth almost as well as making a sizable donation to the school's library. I would say almost vry fee paying school in theU.k would be a good bet because ultimately results matter first. a school that doesn't produce top grades will ultimately lose students. in thailand it seems facilities and shows take a bigger priority to academic achievement. When choosing you school, go in and see with your own eyes the school. Schools that don't allow youto wnder round and interact with students are usually hiding something in my experience.

vCash
    Thanks

AO: I dont recommend the lower and middle tier schools having been burned early

So you'll slate all middle tier int'l schools because you had a bad experience with one or two? I work in a middle tier int'l school and all the teachers are qualified, hardworking, enthusiastic and reflective teachers -well nearly all. If I had a kid I would be happy for them to be educated there.
    Is doiligh an drochrud a mharu.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Donn
    AO: I dont recommend the lower and middle tier schools having been burned early

So you'll slate all middle tier int'l schools because you had a bad experience with one or two? I work in a middle tier int'l school and all the teachers are qualified, hardworking, enthusiastic and reflective teachers -well nearly all. If I had a kid I would be happy for them to be educated there.
    I'm sure there are some good ones about. it always amazes me how pricey they are though. our school's parents complain about paying fees of 4000 baht a term. the most expensive school in Nongkhai is about 10k a term. what are the fees for a middle tier school?

Senior Member Array goo_stewart's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^I worked at a lower tier international school and it was a shoddy disgrace of a place, no better than those Thai private schools which care about image rather than substance. It was a horrid nightmare experience, I wouldn't recommend the lower tier. I have friends working at other lower tier places, same story.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast