-->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopting in Thailand

vCash
    Thanks

Adopting in Thailand

Does anyone know the logistics of adopting children here in Thailand?? I know there are plenty of Burmese refugees in the North...but does anyone know of any good agencies???

By the way, if any of you followed the pregnancy in Pattaya thread ...I just wanted to say thanks so much for the info...found a great doctor at PIH and prices are reasonable...

32k bt for natural birth
    50k for c-section...which I am going to reallllly try to stay away from!
    2000 bht per visit

not bad..the prices include 2 days stay at the hospital.....
    "That's the reason they're called lessons, because they lesson from day to day." -Lewis Carroll

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Adopting in Thailand

I looked into Thai adoption last year. Although my experience is of wanting to become the legal father of my Thai wife's son.

If I remember you correctly, you will want to know the process for 2 foreign parents adopting a Thai/Burmese child.

Can't help you with Burmese.

There is an adoption centre in Bangkok,
    Child Adoption Center, 225 Rajvithi Rd, Bangkok 14000.
    Tel. 02-2468651, 02-2475084.
    Email: adoption@loxinfo.co.th

A lady at the adoption centre gave us a checklist of about 26 documents we had to produce E.g. birth certificate, criminal record check, letter from biological father and many many more.

The lady said that we must hire a lawyer to oversee the process, on visiting a lawyer to discuss this, he informed me that the process would take 2 years to complete, this is the period of time that the Child Adoption Center will send a representative to our house to observe my relationship with my wife's son before determining if I am a suitable father.

We didn't do it because I had to come back to the UK to go to University.

This website could be helpful to you:
    Intercountry Adoption Thailand
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

you guys trying to imitate brad and angie? 3 nights stay is the most common in Thailand. How do you find your doctor to be. Has he had some education abroad?
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the o'connors View Post
    PIH
    Pattaya International Hospital?

My wife went there once with a stomach-ache, they first diagnosed it as a pregnancy, Once I came round from fainting, they changed their mind and said that it was just a minor stomach problem.

Prescription: you guessed it - SaRa.

I guess they really know their stuff when it comes to childbirth!!

Established User Array DontTaserMeDude's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Troll o'connor: abort the fetus and go the adoption route instead. We dont need a baby o'connor troll too!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DontTaserMeDude View Post
    Troll o'connor: abort the fetus and go the adoption route instead. We dont need a baby o'connor troll too!
    haha good one....first they want a baby in Thailand....now they want to adopt as well....Troll as far as i'm concerned
    "Orchids are universally acknowledged to rank among the most singular and most modified forms in the vegetable kingdom" - Darwin

"Education without Experience & Exposure is Incomplete!"

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogerman View Post
    haha good one....first they want a baby in Thailand....now they want to adopt as well....Troll as far as i'm concerned
    A troll can be amusing (take Jack Straw for instance). O'connor is just plain boring.

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Ever notice how Thais never adopt?
    Is it a 'loss of face' issue?
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bewildered wanderer View Post
    Ever notice how Thais never adopt?
    Is it a 'loss of face' issue?
    I think they do, but it tends to be more overseas people adopting them. I don;t think it's loss of face. Perhaps they don;t like the thought of raising someone else's kids (though they don;t seem to mind raising their own relatives children). I visited the Pak Kret orphanage last year and took my son as it was his birthday. We took some food to give to the children. It's a very sad and depressing place. My son (3 at the time) wanted to leave and wouldn't go near the children. Many of them were disabled - I saw one older girl bring a younger boy with a disability into the lunch room. I guess the lucky, health children are adopted early. There weren;t too many smiling faces and not much talking among them either. It's a bit of an eyeopener, and it's worthwhile to visit and give something to the children. It can also help your own kids realise how lucky they are to have parents who love them.

vCash
    Thanks

Troll o'connor
    Troll or not, it's a good opportunity to collect information on a topic that someone could use.

vCash
    Thanks

Thank you and I am very interested....I will check the place you suggested...

I still don't get what a troll is, but I will provide pictures real soon!

Also , I'm still not to clear on what a troll is, however, I will provide pictures real soon!
    Last edited by the o'connors; 23rd May 2008 at 21:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

We dont need a baby o'connor troll too!
    Troll babies. Lol

Sadly the troll has attached his name to a real issue. So he thinks it is all about him.

It isn't and future searchers might come to this thread to get real information. So I post here not in response to them but to others.

It is possible to adopt in Thailand but very difficult. The Thais feel that Thai Children should have Thai parents. Adopting another nationality in Thailand would be viewed largely as Trafficking.

There are several orphanages in the Pattaya area. The Redemptionist home is the best.

We dont need a baby o'connor troll too!
    Troll babies. Lol

Sadly the troll has attached his name to a real issue. So he thinks it is all about him.

It isn't and future searchers might come to this thread to get real information. So I post here not in response to them but to others.

It is possible to adopt in Thailand but very difficult. The Thais feel that Thai Children should have Thai parents. Adopting another nationality in Thailand would be viewed largely as Trafficking.

There are several orphanages in the Pattaya area. Including:

Redemptionist Home for Street Children. The Home for Street Children project was initiated by Farther Brennan in 1990 to provide a place of refuge for children living on the streets.

A local motorcycle club has charity events that support many of the local children charities. Pattaya Jester Care for Kid took this charitable event to raise funding for the benefit of the underprivileged children from various institution such the Merter Center, Koa Baisee School, Ban Jing Jai, Pattaya Redemptionist School for the Blind, Youth Retention Center, Foster Home for Wandering Kids and School in the Southern part of Thailand.

There are one center for children whose lives were affected by HIV and AIDS. (Some are positive and some are just impacted as care givers or parents had AIDS/HIV and have died or are too sick to care for their children. This center is in Rayong. It is called the Cammillian Center. (I believe it is under the support of a Christian Foundation.) They certainly like donations. They would like you to "sponsor" one child (as opposed to adopt). Basically you commit yourself to paying for expenses of that child. Like school uniforms, books, special training, costs of food, medications, dental care. One umbrella foundation that does work with several is called the Pattaya Orphanage Trust and it appears to be tax exempt in Britain.

That said the orphanages generally want time spent with the children as say volunteer tutors, or help in fund raising for building projects and supplying food, shelter, and clothing to the children in their care.

Adoption would be complex. Unless you are Madonna, or Angelina Joline, it would be time consuming and costly. (Something that would prevent most from pursuing it any further). One would also have to have their home country adoption placement agency do a home survey to see that the children would be in a fit environment. Since the OP claims to be moving to Thailand, this would be impossible to get. It takes months and requires home visits.

The majority of Thai children who would be adopted by a farang are ones where the farang has married the children's mother and the children already live in the home. This is possible. It requires a lawyer. The authorities generally require information as to the whereabouts of the biological father and if alive he would have to consent to the adoption.

To the O'trolls. Don't have baby trolls and don't allow this topic to become a shambles it is an emotional and sensitive issue to many. PS you are on my ignore list so need not respond to me.

To anyone else reading the column. Good luck.

http://www.pattayaorphanage.co.uk/pd..._factsheet.pdf
    Pattaya Orphanage Trust

http://www.pattayaorphanage.co.uk/pd..._factsheet.pdf
    Pattaya Orphanage Trust

Jesters Care For Kids Charity Drive 2006 --> Pattaya Daily News : pattaya daily update news
    Pattaya Jester Care for Kid took this charitable event to raise funding for the benefit of the underprivileged children from various institution such the Merter Center, Koa Baisee School, Ban Jing Jai, Pattaya Redemptionist School for the Blind, Youth Retention Center, Foster Home for Wandering Kids and School in the Southern part of Thailand. cited from above
    Last edited by Killing Me Softly 101; 24th May 2008 at 02:19. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cawphad Guy View Post
    Troll or not, it's a good opportunity to collect information on a topic that someone could use.
    Agreed. The thread is going in a good direction rather than being controlled by the troll.

vCash
    Thanks

But it sounds like the woman in "the o'conners" is going to post a picture of a troll.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    But it sounds like the woman in "the o'conners" is going to post a picture of a troll.
    The suspense is killing me. C'mon O'connor, plz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast