Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raising a kid in Thailand - Tuition Fees

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Raising a kid in Thailand - Tuition Fees

I was wondering how much it would cost to put a kid through primary school through to secondary schol (highschool) here in Thailand.

What i need are quotes from highly reputable institutions, ie: the likes of international private school education. Say I was trying to raise my own kid here in Bangkok and I wanted him to have a perfect American accent and good education (and be able to understand, read, write and speak Thai)... in otherwords, i would want the best school for him/her.

Any one know?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Here we go again.... I think the best answer is, "If you have to ask...."

Rates for TOP NOTCH schools here (as you asked!) would easily be 300K-500K per kid per year, not including any possible "sign on donations" which smoothed the entrance process (because entrance can be quite competitive at a couple of these places). Let's say, easily a million baht the first year, 300-500K thereafter.

Not a cheap proposition.

"Steven"
    "Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."

Heard in a U.S. Public School

vCash
    Thanks

Whoa. @_@

With that, I don't even need to think twice before considering moving back to the States and raising my kid there instead!

Thanks for the enlightenment!
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^last time I checked, it was cheaper to send your little loved one to a mid-range boarding school in New Zealand than it was to send them to ISB.

Of course, this could well have changed.

But then again, last time I checked ISB claimed to have a better student success rate (for university entrance) than secondary education institutes in the UK -not that there's a lot of comptetion, but still

vCash
    Thanks

From what ive heared & seen of the Thai education system I would not want my child (if I had 1) going to such a place.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Um, ISB would not be part of the Thai education system, I think.

Though I would agree that I would not put a child of my own into any Thai-managed school. Or most American ones, for that matter.

"Steven"

Misuderstood sociopath Array bulldog's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I will have the same problem as you theanimaster in a few years.

Most of the "international" schools that I've checked out in chiang mai start off at roughly 150000baht - 250000 baht a year but the latter years of mathayom are about 400000 a year, which is kinda obscene
    By 2005 every previous resident of Warsaw had listed their temporary address as Portswood, Southampton, leading to it's appointment as capital of Poland. It is currently the subject of a hostile takeover bid from the home counties, particularly
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Steven:

Bangkok Patana just had two school outings. Like to guess where they were to?

Clue: when sending kids to "international" schools, factor in overheads

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Britain and America? No clue!

"Steven"

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

For me, Dad's poor. Sorry no boarding school or international schools for my kids. It's just the way it has to be. Moving back to the US is s little better but then you take the chance of your kids being harassed, beaten up, or worse there. America isn't the best place on earth. Some schools are scary!

You might try working at one of the schools for a term to get a discount or to get your kid in.
    I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. -Thoreau

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Steven:

One of the two trips involved snow-boarding!

Imagine - Number One son comes home:

Number One Son: "Dad, the school's going off on a field trip, can I go?"

Dad: "That's nice Number One son. Of course you can, and where can I ask is the school going on this school field trip?"

Number One Son: "xxxx, to do some snowboarding Dad. Our teacher says that if we don't learn to snowboard we're all going to have major problems and end up like Mr. Smeg."

[cut to picture of Dad on telephone to head master]

WTF - snow-boarding!

Ahhhh, I understand now. It was in a country known for its international banking secrecy laws. So there was a purpose to it after all

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Pardon me, but this gay father of six children sees a trap in Thailand:

a) young farang hetereo male comes to Thailand to teach school.
    b) being hetero, he begins having sex with nubile Thai women of legal, impressionable, impregnable age
    c) being fertile, this farang-Thai couple get pregnant and have 1 or more babies (leuk krung?)
    d) five years later, they discover that their leuk krung has attained school age. Daddy now makes the enviable sum of 40K/month, and tuition at a decent school runs about 20K. Wife makes kaow paht ghai.
    e) twelve years later, leuk krung is semi-literate in two languages, and has virtually no thinking skills.

Now, granted, my last four kids didn't finish 9th grade. But they are remarkably fluent in English, and while they make wrong choices sometimes, they can think for themselves.

I'm truly sorry to say this, folks, but some of you are trapped.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

vCash
    Thanks

[quote="PeaceBlondie"]Pardon me, but this gay father of six children sees a trap in Thailand:

a) young farang hetereo male comes to Thailand to teach school.
    Not a bad idea.

b) being hetero, he begins having sex with nubile Thai women of legal, impressionable, impregnable age
    Not a bad idea.

c) being fertile, this farang-Thai couple get pregnant and have 1 or more babies (leuk krung?)
    Bad idea - potential Darwin award.

d) five years later, they discover that their leuk krung has attained school age. Daddy now makes the enviable sum of 40K/month, and tuition at a decent school runs about 20K. Wife makes kaow paht ghai.
    Darwin award received.

e) twelve years later, leuk krung is semi-literate in two languages, and has virtually no thinking skills.
    There's always reincarnation. But then again, the Thais have been saying that for how many hundreds of years?

Now, granted, my last four kids didn't finish 9th grade.
    Sounds like a bad gene pool to me.

But they are remarkably fluent in English
    Yeah....along with about 285 million other people.

and while they make wrong choices sometimes, they can think for themselves.
    I'm letting you off easy here.

I'm truly sorry to say this, folks, but some of you are trapped.
    It's their choice.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KellysCreek
    ... America isn't the best place on earth. Some schools are scary!

You might try working at one of the schools for a term to get a discount or to get your kid in.
    My dad was always advocating that Australia was so much a better place to raise a kid (education-wise) than the US. Yeah, I've seen the news too - some elementary schools in the States are like prison camps, thugs included... maybe even worse.

Australia though has it's fair share of punk-ar$e asian-aussies and lebanese (a nasty lot, especially the chinese ones) 'ruling' the halls and get this - ever wonder why only the Aussies and Americans excel over the others? It's because they actually do their homework! In any case, stabbings are less frequent in Australia - the last report i saw of in-school violence when i was still in Ozland was this nutcase who shot and hit two girls with one crossbow bolt.

Hmmm...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

PB:

You have a very valid point.

But, in this there really are 2 schools of thought, which are very diverse:

(1) those who put some thought in to it and try and "economize" (for a better word) the cost of having a child;
    (2) those who say you cannot put a cost on a child.

Now, my missus and I are members of the first school of thought. Currently, between us, we make over 3 million baht a year (not braging, just so you have some figures). We've decided, if we were to have kids, it is unlikely we could hav more than one - and then not till we have significantly reduced our mortgage.

My sister-in-law and her husband, oth, make a little over 300k a year. They're just about to have their second child.

2 very different schools of thought - who is right, who is wrong? Answer, no one. My MIL thinks I'm crazy for not producing like a rabbit I tink she's crazy for asking us to

End of the day, having a child in an international school in Thailand means you best be earning upwards of 7 figures a year - and then some.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast