-->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American getting married to Thai national

Established User Array daniel36's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

American getting married to Thai national

As the headline says, I'm an American getting married to a Thai national and want to know if anyone here has experience with this process. What better place than the parenting forum to ask about this? I've had a few people tell me it is quicker to come to Thailand and get married then file for immigrant visa to the United States than to apply for a k-1 fiancee visa and then get married in the U.S. Anyone have experience with this?

From what I've read we will have to:

Go the the embassy and file an affidavid of eligibility to marry and have this translated to Thai. Cost?
    Go to Amphur with passports, affidavid, translated copy, and proof of dissolution of marriage because I am divorced. Cost?
    Once we go to the Amphur and have the marriage recorded we must go back to the American embassy and apply for immigrant visa. Cost?

It seems logical to me that if we marry in Thailand the embassy of more likely to grant a visa because we are already married rather than have the possibility of someone entering the country and never getting married or leaving.

My girl wants to marry in Thailand and out of respect for her I thought I could come there and seek employment and give the country a try like she wants me to though I suspect making a living would be very difficult there. I can apply for a 3 month visa to do this and take time off of work.

I've also been thinking about her status after she is married to a farang. I've read that a Thai can no longer own property if married to a farang, but also that this is no longer the case. What about children born in Thailand or in the United States and their status?

Anyone have experience here with the visa and marrying process? Thoughts?

Regular User Array Mr. Computer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: American getting married to Thai national

Quote Originally Posted by daniel36 View Post
    I've also been thinking about her status after she is married to a farang. I've read that a Thai can no longer own property if married to a farang, but also that this is no longer the case. What about children born in Thailand or in the United States and their status?

Yes. I am married to a Thai. First of all, that's all bullshit. My wife owns 3 homes + land here. Don't believe it. Don't worry about the cost. It's always just a couple of thousand baht.

Marry, take her back to the USA and apply for her VISA there. Don't do any VISA anything here if you can avoid it. My wife's tourist VISA lasts 5 or 10 years something ridiculous like that. In another words, get out of Thailand as quickly as you can. You can do paper work back in the States.

I guess children born here are Thai and if born in the USA they are Americans. Thais can't have dual citizenship. Anyway, where would they go to school? How would you provide for them? Any school here worth anything is about 1 million baht per year. If you're lucky you'll get 600-700,000 per year before taxes? The thought of having kids here makes me sweat a lot. I'll stop thinking about it now.

On a personal note, think about what you are doing CAREFULLY...LONG AND HARD before you make any decisions about coming here or marrying a Thai. Is there a gringa somewhere that bakes your noodle? Come on... try ... try! you can do it!

Does she know you have that Avatar? Seriously, WTF?

anyway, Good luck.
    Last edited by Mr. Computer; 29th December 2008 at 07:58.

vCash
    Thanks

First; if I'm not mistaken, you must get your wife's visa here. Second; as an American all you have to do is go to the embassy and swear to the fact you are not married. No proof is required. A friend just got his girlfriend to the states on a fiance visa, it only took him 17 mos. And many hassles. Get married here and then register the marriage; translation about 2,500baht. Your new wife must have a visa to go to the states. Your registered marriage is recognized by the states as fully legal. Lastly the OP is correct, think carefully; while I'm very happy, many many Thai/farang marriages end badly. Hope this helps. Oh, and Thai's can have dual citizenship; I know a Thai woman who is an Australian citizen and a Thai citizen.
    Last edited by THX 1133; 29th December 2008 at 08:05.

vCash
    Thanks

Oh yes, that's right. They asked my wife. They are worried Thais will go there to work on a tourist VISA. So I stand corrected, yes, take care of it at the Embassy in BKK. It'll be fun! I wonder if they give you any hassle because you haven't been married for a certain amount of time. You may want to take her on a tourist VISA for a few years. She may be like most Thais and end up back in Thailand anyway. She may not like it in the USA. But, what do I know maybe she's been there already.

God, I sure hope he meets a nice American girl... Ill go pray for you now.....

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Computer View Post
    She may be like most Thais and end up back in Thailand anyway. She may not like it in the USA. But, what do I know maybe she's been there already.

God, I sure hope he meets a nice American girl... Ill go pray for you now.....
    I've met many nice American girls...was married to one a few years back. I actually met this girl in the U.S. while she was on a teaching exchange her last year at university. She was teaching at a Buddhist temple I used to attend. We've been friends now for three years and I believe I can trust her just as much as any girl in the states.

The Avatar? Come on, David Hasselhoff rocks...at least the Germans think so.

vCash
    Thanks

My wife got a 10 yr. tourist visa right off the bat; her interview took all of 5 minutes. After all of the horror stories I'd heard I was wound up and ready for a hassle; but it was so quick and easy I was shocked.

As an aside, we had no intention of moving there and that may have made a difference.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THX 1133 View Post
    My wife got a 10 yr. tourist visa right off the bat; her interview took all of 5 minutes. After all of the horror stories I'd heard I was wound up and ready for a hassle; but it was so quick and easy I was shocked.

As an aside, we had no intention of moving there and that may have made a difference.
    I was under the impression that it was very difficult for a Thai national to get a tourist visa to the United States. More difficult for a female than male. I've read that the Thai government is reluctant to give them for fear they won't return and requires proof of intent to return to Thailand such as a job or property.

Second; as an American all you have to do is go to the embassy and swear to the fact you are not married. No proof is required.
    I was actually in Thailand in early November and went through this at the embassy. I went and made a statement, but since I am divorced the Amphur required divorce papers from the U.S. and translation to Thai. I didn't have that with me and wasn't allowed to marry her. The affidavid of eligibility to marry I did at the embassy was not good enough according to the Amphur.
    Last edited by daniel36; 29th December 2008 at 08:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

^ Well, I think that's mostly true and why I was worried. My wife is a Thai civil servant (teacher) and may have had something to do with it. We had every document imaginable; financials, marriage registration, etc. They only looked at her application and her ID card, and that was it. The one thing "they" tell you is not to expect anything based on what one hears about others. Meaning, You have heard my experience, but, yours may be very different. Each case is decided on it's own merits, or lack therein.

Good luck

Did you have a notarized document from the embassy? That's not my experience, the sheriff of our Ampur didn't require that of me. If he had I'd have been in big trouble as my divorce was almost thirty years ago. Would have taken a monumental effort to track down the divorce records. Well, every case is different and this is after all Thailand.
    Last edited by THX 1133; 29th December 2008 at 08:55. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Did you have a notarized document from the embassy? That's not my experience, the sheriff of our Ampur didn't require that of me. If he had I'd have been in big trouble as my divorce was almost thirty years ago. Would have taken a monumental effort to track down the divorce records. Well, every case is different and this is after all Thailand.
    Yes, had notarized copy and translation, but since it stated I was divorced they told me I needed a dissolution of marriage decree.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

I was under the impression that it was very difficult for a Thai national to get a tourist visa to the United States. More difficult for a female than male. I've read that the Thai government is reluctant to give them for fear they won't return and requires proof of intent to return to Thailand such as a job or property.
    Firstly the Thai Govt. has no direct influence over who gets a US tourist visa and who doesn't (except in criminal cases.)
    It is up to your fiancee' to prove to the US immig. dept. of her intent (need) to return to Los when applying for a tourist visa. (property ownership papers and account balances seem to be favored. family photos, proof of emplyoment, character letters generally get swept aside.)

Secondly, your wife will (most likely) have a much easier time getting that tourist visa, AFTER your marriage has been registered. Tho, she'll be qualified for other (longer term) visas, those are time consuming to apply for.

My 1st wife was denied one tourist app. and two fiancee' visas, BEFORE we married. After married she got the 10 year tourist visa, no questions (although that embassy was in Saudi Arabia).

vCash
    Thanks

I've met many nice American girls...was married to one a few years back. I actually met this girl in the U.S. while she was on a teaching exchange her last year at university. She was teaching at a Buddhist temple I used to attend. We've been friends now for three years and I believe I can trust her just as much as any girl in the states.

The Avatar? Come on, David Hasselhoff rocks...at least the Germans think so.
    Yea, but most students like her have to go to an English speaking country before they can graduate. I mean would she make it if she lived there? Anyway, I don't know...

Jimbo is right. Once you get married, that's it. It's not a difficult process. Her VISA has nothing to do with Thailand. If the girl is not married is a pain in the ass. They don't want Thais to go there on a tourist VISA to work. Even if they show all the papers and ownership of land and so on, still many people are denied the tourist VISA. If she is married to you, then it is no problem. Just make sure you have the marriage certificate.

Getting married to a Thai woman and leaving the USA to live and work here, that's another Thread. Not my business anyway.

I like the Hoff, but in a speedo?

Good luck.... again......

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Computer View Post

I like the Hoff, but in a speedo?

Good luck.... again......
    I can't stand the Hoff, but I get a chuckle every time I see that pic. He's such a pimp.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm an American and married to a Thai. We went through the process in Bkk, and although there was a lot of running around involved, we did it in one day. You can actually pay someone to do the running for you, but money was tight, then and we did it ourselves.
    My wife got her first U.S. visa in Kuwait, and because she applied for it outside her home country she was only given one year. The reason being, the U.S. Embassy is leary of anyone applying outside their home country and considers the possibility that they're just trying to get into the U.S. to live permanently. The next time we applied, we did it in Bkk and she was given 10 years, no problem. Both our children were born outside of the U.S. (1 in Kuwait and 1 in Thailand) and they hold both American and Thai passports. Their American citizenship is no problem. You'll apply for a foreign birth abroad and the child will receive a birth certificate through the Embassy.

BTW, I would strongly suggest that you NOT wear that same outfit you're wearing in your avitar when you go to get married. The local Amphur in Bkk has a strict policy against getting married in your underwear, especially briefs!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingdomcome View Post

BTW, I would strongly suggest that you NOT wear that same outfit you're wearing in your avitar when you go to get married. The local Amphur in Bkk has a strict policy against getting married in your underwear, especially briefs!

I wouldn't dream of it. For that I think I'll wear silk pajamas, an ascot, my smokin jacket, and carry a pipe. Wonder if they have a smoking policy?

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by kingdomcome View Post
    Both our children were born outside of the U.S. (1 in Kuwait and 1 in Thailand) and they hold both American and Thai passports. Their American citizenship is no problem. You'll apply for a foreign birth abroad and the child will receive a birth certificate through the Embassy.
    Thanks KC, good to know.

Interesting how your wife didn't get the 10 year in Kuwait, but mine did in Saudi(?)

Ahh,...the wheels of immi.!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast