Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Kid A Sociopath?

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Is Your Kid A Sociopath?

...I've always thought Thais came up a little short in the empathy department. Maybe losing something in the cultural translation.

Now there is a new that shows 30 percent of Thai children may be prone to violence. How do the results compare to your little Somchai?

There's a violent streak in many children - Nationmultimedia.com

There's a violent streak in many children

Published on February 5, 2009

A recent survey showed that about a third of Thai children have aggressive tendencies and often take out their belligerent side on friends and animals.
    Conducted by the Office of National Economic and Social Development Board, the study found that more than 30 per cent of the children aged three years and above had a violent streak.
    "These children have no compassion for animals," Prof Dr Sakorn Dhanamitta said yesterday, expressing concern that these youngsters will grow up to be troublemakers. She is a senior adviser at the Mahidol University's Institute of Nutrition.
    "The findings are very alarming," she said.
    Sakorn said the survey reflected flaws in the emotional development of these children, which might stem from the fact that they had not been given proper love and care by their parents or caretakers during their formative years.
    "Children start showing their violent side by the age of three," Sakorn said.
    "Even a sevenmonthold foetus can absorb love and warmth from their parents. If parents want to instil morality in them, they need to embrace them, show them kindness and have friendly chats with them from the time it is just a foetus until it turns six. It is at this age that children absorb the idea of love and kindness, which helps them grow into wellrounded adults," she advised.
    "Never think that very young children don't understand in kindness, because waiting to teach them until they are in primary school might be leaving things too late. If they don't understand love and morality right from the start, it will become impossible to change them," Sakorn added.
    According to her, young children should be encouraged to play in natural surroundings.
    "Children will be more attentive to lessons in natural surroundings, which will help boost their intelligence, emotional and moral quotients," Sakorn added.
    She also said that toys made from natural products were much better than the more expensive plastic versions.
    "It costs very little to raise children along the lines of brainbased learning [BBL]. Even late Princess Mother used these methods when raising her children, including His Majesty the King."
    The Education Ministry is implementing this learning method in state schools, but implementing BBL before school is up to the parents. Sakorn believes the government should make the issue a national one, adding that Mahidol University was thinking about establishing a learning centre where parents are given proper advice on how to raise their children.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Is Your Kid A Sociopath?

I wonder what the rate of violence is in western children?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sociopathy knows all races.

vCash
    Thanks

Children learn violence and cruelty from their parents or other adults around them.

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ I think the issue here is what is not being learnt. Are 30% of parents teaching cruelty to animals? I doubt it. There is simply a lack of actual positive interaction in which the parents can teach their children to show empathy to others.

An interesting example: A friend of mine offered some birthday money to a little fruit-seller girl who goes around the cafes and bars at night. Instead of taking the generous amount offered, she held out for more. Our hostess explained that the girl, rather than trying to be insulting, was simply using the money-making skills she'd been taught by her parents, and obviously had never been taught how to show gratitude.
    I married two separate women to save them from poverty - which was big o' me.

vCash
    Thanks

Spoilt kids are a problem also, my wife's cousin's son (former room mate just goes around hitting everyone all the time and no one says or does anything about it, if it was my kid i'd give him a warning then a bloody good hiding if he carried on.
    'After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box'

vCash
    Thanks

To put it bluntly I think most, if not all children are born bad. By bad I mean selfish. What do children do if they don't get there own way? They cry or lash out. I don't believe it's there fault as it is just a survival instinct, even if there is nothing threatening. A survival of the fittest mentality to be top dog. I think it is the parents that need to teach and nurture the children out of this natural behaviour as we are trying to be more and more civilized.

Although I may be proven wrong, I believe all babies are like a blank canvas and the parents will mold them into the adults they will become. Sure there may be exceptions, but babies born with a pre-disposition for good or evil I think is way off the mark. Good people are brought up to be good people just as psychopaths are bought up to be psychopaths.
    Ridicule is the burden of genius.

vCash
    Thanks

children go through the selfish age around 2-3, they get out of it through parental guidance which is something that seems very non existent here, as another example my brother in law doesn't show any affection or guidance to his two boys, they get most of that from me. It's quite sad really.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Nature/brain chemistry/heredity, has it's place in the nature -vs- nurture argument.

vCash
    Thanks

Thai children are indulged. They are not given choices when they are very small. The book Culture Shock put it something like this: "The indulgence Thai parents display with their children leads to a pleasing, although somewhat retarded personality."

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Fo me the world over its boys without boundaries. In thailand the girl grows up with loads of duties and resposibilities whilst the boy is often allowed to be a fuckwit at home and at school.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    Fo me the world over its boys without boundaries. In thailand the girl grows up with loads of duties and resposibilities whilst the boy is often allowed to be a fuckwit at home and at school.
    Be careful what you wish for. The west has almost rectified that, but lots of men cant handle it at all.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    The book Culture Shock put it something like this: "The indulgence Thai parents display with their children leads to a pleasing, although somewhat retarded personality."
    "something like...." link please.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Indulging children is a hangover from the days (3 generations ago?) when infant mortality was high. Parents didn't dare deprive a child or restrict a child in case it's life was short. Nowadays there is also the problem of parents not having the time/energy to do discipline properly and it's left to the 'help' and telling little Ponpong 'NO' is more than their job is worth..
    It's also been my experience that this attitude changes dramatically once kids get to school age, especially high school. Some kids cope better than others.
    Anybody not sure this isn't just a Thai thing should download a couple episodes of 'Supernanny'
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jane's diction View Post
    "something like...." link please.
    The book is called "Culture Shock."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast