Thread: Medical insurance

vCash
    Thanks

Medical insurance

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any good medical insurance. I've always had the government social insurance which I've just recently learned is almost double the cost of some private insurance companies. It also only allows you to choose just one participating hospital, which sucks if you live in a small city and the only hospital around is a govt. hospital where the average wait time to see a doctor is 4 hours who will then prescribe you a medicine cocktail and send you on your way.
    I am looking for something reasonably priced to cover my family and I that is good at any hospital in Thailand. I have heard of insurance companies like AIA, Bupa and even Ajarn.com seems to have one. I am looking to get some advice and opinions to make this search a little less time consuming. Thanks.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Medical insurance

Quote Originally Posted by gusto View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any good medical insurance. I've always had the government social insurance which I've just recently learned is almost double the cost of some private insurance companies. It also only allows you to choose just one participating hospital, which sucks if you live in a small city and the only hospital around is a govt. hospital where the average wait time to see a doctor is 4 hours who will then prescribe you a medicine cocktail and send you on your way.
    I am looking for something reasonably priced to cover my family and I that is good at any hospital in Thailand. I have heard of insurance companies like AIA, Bupa and even Ajarn.com seems to have one. I am looking to get some advice and opinions to make this search a little less time consuming. Thanks.
    It's true that the government social insurance costs more than some private policies, but there is a reason for that. Some of the cheaper private policies offer very limited cover and none of them will cover you for pre-existing conditions. Also, the social insurance scheme offers other benefits on top of a basic medical insurance policy.

I used to have Bupa insurance - provided by my previous employer - and it was convenient being able to visit (nearly) any private hospital in the area. Everything was very easy - all I had to do was show my card - and there was no queuing. Prior to that, I had government social insurance, and although the healthcare was every bit as good, the waiting times at my nominated hospital were sometimes long.

Since leaving my old job with the Bupa insurance, I have gone back to having the government insurance. This time, I was told that I could choose from a list of government AND private hospitals. Not surprisingly, I opted for a private hospital and I have found the service to be excellent. For me, the best thing is being able to get treatment for a neck problem that I have had for several years. 750 baht per month (employer pays the same) doesn't seem to be bad value at all.

vCash
    Thanks

I think Tony may be able to help you give him a call:

Tony Dabbs
    Expat Support
    E-InsureThailand.com
    Tony's Phone: 081-927-0829
    Office Phone: 02-990-8355 (Thai/Eng.)
    Office Fax: 02-990-8356
    Address: Preuksa Village 9, Soi 3,
    9/38 Moo 2, Rangsit,Bueng Yitho,
    Thannyaburi, Pathum Thani 12130

E-mail: insure@e-insurethailand.com

He has got a varied list of policies to suit all pockets so good luck

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

750 a month for soc sec adds up to 9000 for the year. What private insurance can you get for about half of that?

As lemmax said, there are other benefits with soc sec other than the health benefit. He pointed out the non exclusion of pre-existing conditions. That's important for many of us.

The soc sec plan also includes a retirement plan. It's not much, but it's there. There is also an option to not only get all of your money back, but your employers contributions as well. Plus interest. There are conditions, of course, but they aren't onerous.

One of the bad things about it is they don't cover families, only the employee.
    Depending on where you work, you'll probably have to pay into the system even if you get private insurance.

For those leaving the system, you still get coverage for 6 months without making a payment. If you want to continue in the program, but aren't employed, you can sign up at the soc sec office to make payments on your own. The payment doing it that way is only 432 baht per month. You have a six month window to sign up after leaving the system through work.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemmax View Post
    It's true that the government social insurance costs more than some private policies, but there is a reason for that. Some of the cheaper private policies offer very limited cover and none of them will cover you for pre-existing conditions. Also, the social insurance scheme offers other benefits on top of a basic medical insurance policy.

I used to have Bupa insurance - provided by my previous employer - and it was convenient being able to visit (nearly) any private hospital in the area. Everything was very easy - all I had to do was show my card - and there was no queuing. Prior to that, I had government social insurance, and although the healthcare was every bit as good, the waiting times at my nominated hospital were sometimes long.

Since leaving my old job with the Bupa insurance, I have gone back to having the government insurance. This time, I was told that I could choose from a list of government AND private hospitals. Not surprisingly, I opted for a private hospital and I have found the service to be excellent. For me, the best thing is being able to get treatment for a neck problem that I have had for several years. 750 baht per month (employer pays the same) doesn't seem to be bad value at all.
    Hi Whats the story on this insurance, how do you go about getting this type of cover, thanks mate

Got the answer just now thanksgo back to me tea

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TONSKIE View Post
    Hi Whats the story on this insurance, how do you go about getting this type of cover, thanks mate

Got the answer just now thanksgo back to me tea
    Speak to your employer. If it's available where you work, they will pay their half of the contributions.

vCash
    Thanks

From what I understand the social insurance is 1,500 a month. My employer pays half and I pay half as well. That adds up to 18,000 a year for just one person. For me the non exclusion of preexisting conditions is not as important as reasonable coverage for my wife and son. I would also like a policy that is not limited to just one hospital. I teach in a small city where the health care options are limited and going to the hospital is worse than being sick.