-->

Thread: Single parent - Renewing a 'Luk Krung' Thai passport

vCash
    Thanks

Single parent - Renewing a 'Luk Krung' Thai passport

Originally posted on "TV" website.......

"My son's Thai passport needs renewing, however, I'm a single parent(foreign). His mother disappeared 4years ago which I reported to the tourist police."

According to the MFA website, you need both signatures or one with a letter ov consent from the parent who cannot appear. I don't know where his mother is....and well, after all this time I really don't care.

The MFA were reluctant to help at first and the info they gave me..., they could 've done when I wrote to them 1 1/2 yrs ago. By the end ov the day, they had helped me a lot and I got the passport.

If you are in the same position.....this is what happened to me!

I arrived at the MFA last Friday morn. about 11-45 with my son. Went to 2nd floor and told the lady at the desk I needed a new passport for my son. She spoke to me in Thai telling me what I needed and then I told her my situation. I gave her my passport, my son's, orig. B'cert (Thai), and the orig. police report. She spoke to me Thai (again) and asked some Q's. which I answered, going over and over the fact that I don't know where my wife is etc.. She told me to wait 5mins and went to see somebody in the office behind the counter.

A few mins. went by when a man came to see me....., this time speaking English! He asked some Q's about my wife and siuation etc., and showed me a piece ov paper with directions in Thai and a phone number for 'The Family Juvenile Court' in Bangkok and told me that I need to speak to a 'Lawyer' and that they can help me. I asked if he could help and........he said 'NO.' I told him that I didn't have time or money and that I had just travelled over night etc., and begged and begged him to at least phone the number for the 'Court.' He eventually gave in and phoned. After the call, he spoke to his assistant and told me to come back at 1p.m. as it was lunch time now (12:15).

I went back at 1p.m. and spoke to the same assistant who then made a phone call and asked me to follow her upstairs to the 'Passport Division' where the general public do not go. She spoke to the man behind the desk and then left. The man walked over to see me and asked for our passports and docs., police report etc.. He then took them into the back room offices and told me to wait. While I was waiting, I could hear them talking about me and they mentioned that they couldn't get the files until [/b[b]]2p.m. About 1:50p.m., a man walked past where I was sitting with two 'Big' files and went into the back room. Approx. 2:10p.m., a man came out from the back room and told me about 15 more mins. because they needed to check out all the info., and then sat down and asked me some Q's about my wife and situation etc. I explained that I took 5months to report the incident incase she came back, she has never contacted us, can check with the schools my son has attended ( only I have signed forms etc.), and check visas and stamps. Whenever I have left Thailand, so has my son with 'No Alert' on the computer screens when going through immigration. After 15 mins. or so, he back to the offices.At 2:35p.m., the same man came from the back room and handed some paperwork to the man behind the desk, came over to me and handed back our passports etc., and told me not to worry....'you'll get the passport' and to follow the assistant back to the 2nd floor. Back at the 2nd floor, he spoke to the assistant behind the counter and gave her the paperwork. She printed out a queue number and gave me it.............60 people in front ov me!! I sat down and thought about waiting and the train we had to catch at 5p.m.. I went back over to the counter showing her my ticket. After a few mins., she decided to help me and took me and my son to get his application, photos etc. done. I eventually left the MFA at 3:30p.m.

So, if you are in my position you could go to the MFA. However, I feel like I was lucky, and remember they originally told me to go to 'The Family Juvenile Court.' Most provinces have one, and if you need info on where they are etc., contact the MFA. Also remember, the MFA has info on both you and your Thai family.

At the end ov the day, the MFA now knows and has on file that I have taken care for the last 4 years, and now have sole custody ov my son.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Single parent - Renewing a 'Luk Krung' Thai passport

good story and a well done job dad!!
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Can't you get your kid a home country passport?
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

He can, and hope he has.
    I've got to pick myself up Dust myself off And start all over again.
    -Peter Tosh

vCash
    Thanks

Think about it Johnny.........????? it's easier to live & work here using his Thai passport, and btw he has dual citizenship, B'cert's and passports, but I didn't tell the MFA that !!

Only tell them what they need to know..........I was applying for a Thai passport.

vCash
    Thanks

Well done Omlagus...that's no mean feat getting hold of a passport without a Thai in tow.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS