-->
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 94

Thread: Bad Medicine (or, are Thais really fucking stupid?)

  1. #1
    Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    BKK
    Posts
    2,216
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 47 Times in 30 Posts


    Rep Power
    4356

    Bad Medicine (or, are Thais really fucking stupid?)

    Sorry, not to be yet another of my hate rants, but I just can't stand the fact that Thais think that medicine is some fucking super juice that makes you feel better. Just earlier I caught our maid "under orders from my wife" giving my 11-month old baby paracetamol syrup. The cough shit was alright (though not entirely), as he had been coughing, but he's NEVER had a temperature. Thais think that just coz he feels a bit warm, he's got a fever. Fucking morons don't know what a fucking thermometer is for (and I even bought a goddamn digital one). I guess they're too pea-brained to wait a minute for the thing to start beeping? Perhaps I should get the one-second thing then.

    Anyways, so I call my wife and ask her how long this has been going on. Fortunately it was just the other day, but still... only hell knows how much they've been giving him and how often. I REMIND my wife what the fuck paracetamol does to the liver, ESPECIALLY at such a young age (ie: as much as possible you SHOULDN'T feed a baby ANY medicine if it's not really needed)... And tell her to go fucking google about why and how humans get fevers in the first place (hint: it the body's own fucking defense system kicking in). She seems totally uninterested and wants to hang up right away.

    When will this fucking country start teaching its robots that medicine can infuckingfact be BAD and HORRIBLE if misused? When will Thais wake up to this fact?

  2. #2
    Hangin' Around Array Cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    17,697
    vCash
    90000
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, this is clear evidence that over 70 million people are indeed morons.

  3. #3
    Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    BKK
    Posts
    2,216
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 47 Times in 30 Posts


    Rep Power
    4356
    Ps. It's not that I'm not trying to be around my baby as much as I can either. I get home from work as soon as I can just so I can attend to my kids MYSELF (because another thing I learned is that sometimes -- or most times, it's beat to look after things by yourself because TV, cellphones etc. Tend to distract Thais easily). I got in a lotta shit w my Thai family for being so "jai rai" in the sense that when my 3-year old got food poisoning, I personally managed his intake of foods (and medicine) until he recovered. So unthoughtful of me to take charge and bar them from giving him all kinds of shit laced with preservatives and sugar (all this while he had diarrhea). And yeah they wonder why jai rai farang doesn't let his poor son eat normal solids when he's crapping and puking his brains out.

    I have nothing but attention for my kids.

    ---Update---

    Well, that, and the fact that a few weeks ago there were a couple dozen kids sent to hospital because they overdosed on cough pills sold to them by some shmucks in their school looking for a quick buck. The kids were told the pills can make them invincible... The sheer number of suckers who signed up for it outlines just how inept this country's health and education system is.

    But it's examples like this that remind us of what we already know.

  4. #4
    Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere hot and wet
    Posts
    23,026
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked 246 Times in 149 Posts


    Rep Power
    101120
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    When will this fucking country start teaching its robots that medicine can infuckingfact be BAD
    About the same time they start telling them that whitening cream doesn't work and to stop putting MSG in all their food, I'd say.
    This space for rent.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    21,468
    vCash
    11260000
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked 115 Times in 102 Posts


    Rep Power
    59708
    It's a rant Animaster.

    I certainly hear where you're coming from.

    My advice would be to tell your wife in no uncertain terms that the child is not to take any medicine until you have given it your okay.

    That way it's going to be better for both the child's health and your own.

    I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again.

    In Asia individual life is worth shit. Unless you've got big money or your in a position of influence.

    Ignore that fact at your own peril.

    Put your foot down firmly and fly right.

    Good luckj with the little fella.'

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to russellsimpson For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    BKK
    Posts
    2,216
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 47 Times in 30 Posts


    Rep Power
    4356
    Oh man.. You are SO right on all points (first, yea, it is a rant. :P )... They'd only listen if I were about a couple million baht richer...

    I have told her in the past that they should out all medicine before me. This time she apparently decided to take it upon herself. Not nice of her to do that. I guess she realised the only way she was going to get my son to take the medicine was if she DIDN'T let me know. I'll have a talk w her again about this.

    Sometimes she doesn't take me seriously when it comes to raising the kids. I've told her the story of how my dad raised all 10 (out of 12) of us and NONE of us ever had to be stuck on a hospital (as compared to us having to take our kids to the damned place every now and then). Sure, my dad was a surgeon, but all of his methods were simple and without the use of so many drugs.

    Well, thanks. I'll heed your caution well!

  8. #7
    Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    13,203
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts


    Rep Power
    22823
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    Thais really fucking stupid
    I've heard this somewhere before but I'm having some trouble just now remembering where...
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

    George Liquor American

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,988
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts


    Rep Power
    18565
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    Sometimes she doesn't take me seriously when it comes to raising the kids
    is it perhaps because you're an overbearing control freak...

  10. #9
    better a tosser than .... Array manned-rake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    6,056
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 120 Times in 88 Posts


    Rep Power
    31208
    ^Hell, no. How could it be that?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his _________ depends upon his not understanding it!"

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,988
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts


    Rep Power
    18565
    Ani
    Sorry, I had just a moment to respond.

    I'll flesh out my response now. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying that you're going about it the wrong way. My guess is that most of your family are a bit 'munsai' about your behaviour, to the point that they are ignoring you. You need to step back, repair the situation with your wife by showing her that you are not trying to usurp her role as mother, then get her to put the rest of the family in line. Going all dictatorial and "Put your foot down firmly and fly right (sic)" is just going to breed resentment, which is what you don't need if you expect to have them help raise the child.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,481
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    10375
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    Sometimes she doesn't take me seriously when it comes to raising the kids. I've told her the story of how my dad raised all 10 (out of 12) of us and NONE of us ever had to be stuck on a hospital (as compared to us having to take our kids to the damned place every now and then). Sure, my dad was a surgeon, but all of his methods were simple and without the use of so many drugs.
    Yup - the division of labor in most of Thai culture means that dad is an idiot when it comes to raising kids. Just wait until they start chewing the kids food for him. If you are in Issan, remember one thing. It takes a village to raise an idiot.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to johnny larue For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    bet
    bet is offline
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,012
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts


    Rep Power
    11055
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    are Thais really fucking stupid?
    Who is more stupid, the Thai or the retard who marries a Thai?

    Get over yourself you inane retard. I would wager if there was an apple logo on the box, you'd have force fed the infant in a millisecond.
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  15. #13
    freak of nature Array 3leggedkitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    weet nam
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 225 Times in 139 Posts


    Rep Power
    47311
    the biggest problem in your tableau of travails i think, is your conflict with being the underachieving child of overachieving parents. someone probably deliberately married down, not out of love, but more likely to spite his own parents, to avoid marrying an 'equal' and the attendant insecurities that would bring, and, maybe not initially but certainly now, to feel infinitely superior to ignorant country folk and act out the arrogance that one hoped would so tidily conceal the humiliation one has laboured under for god knows how long, what with being the child of a surgeon and all.

    if you spent a tenth of the energy you spend on being bossy and enraged and hateful and superior, if you spent just that much, toward learning to communicate,(of which you presently show no indication of having even an elementary understanding) and another tenth learning how culture and individual psychology make all people, not just white people, what they are, and maybe another tenth resolving the deadly psychological conflict that is leading to your imminent demise from heart attack or aneurysm, and making the lives of your current family members a misery, then maybe i could sympathize with your very real problem.

    but as it stands, you're just the ordinary, ineffective prick you always feared you were.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,481
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    10375
    ^ I don't get it Kitty. What do you read into his rant that I don't see? He is a father who is concerned about his kid. In many instances the conflict between Thai and western culture is a battle between knowledge and ignorance. He shouldn't be derided because he fell in love with this girl. It's the village and family dominance in decision making that is the problem - not his attitude.

  17. #15
    freak of nature Array 3leggedkitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    weet nam
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 225 Times in 139 Posts


    Rep Power
    47311
    what is so not ignorant about marrying and having kids with someone belonging to another culture that you haven't spent a second trying to understand apart from declaring, noting, and repeating how fucking stupid and robotic and inferior they are? maybe i am missing something. don't you think if he took the time to learn to communicate across the cultural gulf that his knowledge would stand much more chance of being accepted?

    i don't know how diplomatically i can say it, so bear with me if it comes out too offensively, but too many western people in general do not feel it necessary or worthwhile to understand the people they become intimately involved with, because their trust in manifest destiny makes such considerations moot, and the underlying belief is that these 'inferior' cultures will simply withdraw and give way like the tide in the face of such generous enlightenment.

    to wit:
    the fact that Thais think that
    Thais think that just coz
    Fucking morons
    I guess they're too pea-brained
    tell her to go fucking google about why
    She seems totally uninterested and wants to hang up right away

    When will this fucking country start teaching its robots
    When will Thais wake up to this fact?
    tend to distract Thais easily


    ---Update---

    and i did mention, i do see it is a very big problem, and a very disturbing one at that. but there will be no resolution forthcoming with the preconceptions and ignorance of his own processes that is compounding everything. alone he will not change a thing, and alone he will be with it until he get past the warped place he is looking out from.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stupid stupid stupid! Seeking advice
    By kaychan25 in forum The Virtual Pub
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10th November 2007, 18:07
  2. Stupid stupid stupid! Seeking advice
    By kaychan25 in forum The Newbie Zone
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 6th November 2007, 14:50
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th July 2007, 13:37
  4. Scary Medicine
    By Whitey in forum Parenting In Thailand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th May 2007, 11:13
  5. Sippin' Back on Grandpa's Cough Medicine?
    By crew in forum The Virtual Pub
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 24th January 2007, 09:14

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •