Thread: Kindergarten - why no part-time?

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Kindergarten - why no part-time?

We've looked at a couple of schools for my daughter, who will be 3 in August. At the moment she spends most of her day with our English-speaking Nepali-Burmese nanny. We want her to go this May for two main reasons: social development/increased play and activity resources, and to start picking up more thai language (she understands and speaks a little). The first school we looked at none of the staff could understand any English, and since that is how my daughter (whose language is fantastic for her age) communicates, I felt she would be unhappy and isolated there, at least initially. The second school, she would've received one hour tuition (singing and stuff) in English and I was assured that staff understood enough English (I'd be happy for them to respond in thai). This school is pretty expensive, but my rich brother-in-law is apparently in any case prepared to pay. Unfortunately, the class for her age group is full and she'd have to join the two-year-olds.

I drove away thinking 'what she really needs is what she'd get in he UK, which is part-time nursery'. Really, our nanny is great, and Cat is really happy with her, but naturally she can't create the sort of interaction outlined above. My wife says part-time schooling does not exist here: is she right? We live in Kaset-Nawamin.
    Last edited by tropic of cancer; 12th May 2010 at 11:24.

poltroon and blagard Array reinvented's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

its tough
    i found a decent one at lad prao for my little girl who started when she was 2 and is about your girls age, and she loves it, and the staff arent too dumb
    she learns 3 languages there and staff communication is an issue, not ability but planning
    so they are out there
    as for part time, well they sleep most of the afternoon so effectively it is
    pm me if you want anymore specific information
    Serial Wolf Bagger

vCash
    Thanks

Will do and thanks. To clarify; when I said part-time I meant 2 or 3 days a week rather than half days

Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Not trying to be a nebbish here, but I can't understand the urgency which parents feel to institutionalize their kids. I think that 2 and 3 year olds really need mommy more than the barney song.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny larue View Post
    Not trying to be a nebbish here, but I can't understand the urgency which parents feel to institutionalize their kids. I think that 2 and 3 year olds really need mommy more than the barney song.

That's a fair point, and it's important to resist this Asian-style drive for kiddy-attainment from the off. What I really want is just for her to play along with a group. I don't know about you, but I never felt 'institutionalised' by nursery. I felt it a lot later on for sure.

Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I never attended a nursery except to buy plants.

poltroon and blagard Array reinvented's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny larue View Post
    ut I can't understand the urgency which parents feel to institutionalize their kids. I think that 2 and 3 year olds really need mommy more than the barney song.
    totally agreebut both my wife and i work full time
    and the nipper has outpaced the nanny and mother in law already

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You're very right to be cautious. If you're paying top whack, demand nothingless than high standards. Ferrangs up where I am complain about the local nursery offering very little for a high price. I teel them my school has a qualified western teacher teaching 1 hour a day of English for 600 baht a term but no-one comes to check it out. If a school is not accomodating to your needs keep searching till you find one that does. a school that accomodates your needs is probably going to be a school that cares. good luck.