Thread: Need to find a school in central BKK for my 9 yr old niece

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Need to find a school in central BKK for my 9 yr old niece

My wife's niece will be coming to live with us starting in March 06. She's from upcountry and can't speak English but is a bright kid, well behaved, has a great relationship with my wife and me, her own mom and the rest of the family. I need to find a school in the Suk/Silom/Sathon areas for her. I don't want to put her in an English immersion school but would like to find a school that includes English in the curriculum. Cost isn't too big an issue but I don't want to put her in a super-expensive school. Can anybody recommend a good school for her? My wife, niece and I would like to visit some schools to try to get a feel for what would be most appropriate. BTW, my Thai is quite bad and I really want her to learn to speak English.

a genuis in his own right Array Humbert's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi, I'm actually up in Chiang mai but am in a similar situation in that my ten year old nephew has just come to live with us.
    I honestly think the best way to teach em English is to just do it yourself. The school he's attending is worse than useless in terms of the education he's getting but his progress has been remarkeable in the 4 months he's been living with us.

My wife spends about an hour helping him with vocabulary every evening and he can't wait to practice with me as soon as I get home.

Good luck.
    I hope it all works out for you.

vCash
    Thanks

CX is spot on there. At home just immerse the child in the language. At this age they are like sponges and will absorb and remember all you imput.
    The problem with the better schools is the "Tea" money you may have to pay. My advice is look for a good local school that has smaller class sizes, and dedicated teachers. Not one of these pressure cooker schools, where the teachers are looking to line their pockets with extra classes.
    It took a while but I found a nice one here in North Bangkok.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Moved to pracs...
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Established User Array all mod cons's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

A mate of mine was in a similar situation, except with his step daughter,8 years old. He wasn't too keen on enrolling her into one of the top inter. schools Enrolled her into "Srivikorn School" (a Thai school with an English prog) up on Sukumvit road and is extremely happy with the results he's seeing.
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" Anonymous

vCash
    Thanks

Not to keen I guess so at 500,000 baht per year for the top flight ones. I went the same route and its worked out very well.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by all mod cons
    Enrolled her into "Srivikorn School" (a Thai school with an English prog) up on Sukumvit road and is extremely happy with the results he's seeing.
    tis a good school

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

That raises the question: What is considered to be a 'good school' in Thailand? Do 'good schools' not take tea money? Do good schools expell consistently poorly performing students? Do good schools have real entrance exams that are not just for window dressing?

vCash
    Thanks

At my kids school which is por 1-6. They do not accept tea money. They do fail students, the entrance quiz was good for a 1st grade kid.
    This little school just operates on a word of mouth basis. Not only the kid must be bright to get in but the parents have to show they take an interest in their kids life and education.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Aging one, is that a government school? I know some schools do fail students, but which ones? provate or government? I don;t know of any private schools that fail students or take entrance exams seriously. Correct me if I'm wrong..

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mad_dog
    Quote Originally Posted by all mod cons
    Enrolled her into "Srivikorn School" (a Thai school with an English prog) up on Sukumvit road and is extremely happy with the results he's seeing.
    tis a good school
    The 7-year old child (luk kreung Japan-Thai) of a lady at our apartment very sadly died when falling from a higher floor at Srivikorn School last month. It was well reported in the Thai press.

Nothing to do with education directly of course but you'd expect kids to be properly supervised too, especially at a relatively expensive school such as this. I know there's been quite a lot of trouble trying to get to the bottom of what happened, the school seemed to be not telling the truth or trying to cover something up.
    Prostitutes, lepers, and mischevious persons are not permitted to stay in this establishment.

vCash
    Thanks

It a private school and they got the parents permission to hold a kid back.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loner
    That raises the question: What is considered to be a 'good school' in Thailand? Do 'good schools' not take tea money? Do good schools expell consistently poorly performing students? Do good schools have real entrance exams that are not just for window dressing?
    My girlfriend used to study there she sings its praises

amoxycillin
    The 7-year old child (luk kreung Japan-Thai) of a lady at our apartment very sadly died when falling from a higher floor at Srivikorn School last month.
    Thats aweful news, I had completely missed it in the media, all the schools take tea money in one way or another, another option is to try and get the kiddie into an overseas exchange programme, perhaps staying with some of your family, Rotary and the like are worth checking out, in terms of learning English, six months OS can do wonders!