-->

Thread: Home School...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Home School...

Just finished one of many long drawn out chats with my cousin in Canada re: the benefits of home schooling. She's got 3 kids aged 3 to 7 and all have been home schooled, never stepped foot in a public school. The 3 and 5 year old seem to be doing alright but when I last met the 7 year old (August) found him to be socially inept, and mildly speaking a big baby... cried and threw 2 year old tantrums regularly, and had no clue as how to interact with other kids. For example, I convinced my cousin to take the kids to a playgroup, the 7 year old went straight to the blocks and seemed to be having a good time, until another child joined in and wanted to build with him. The fit he threw when another kid tried to join in was something I would have given one of my 4 year old students a time out for. My cousin says home school has it benefits and is becoming increasingly popular in North America, but I've got my doubts.... i think at any age, valuable social skills are learned by learning how to interact with peers. What do you all think, and if you've got a positive story to share, please do!!

vCash
    Thanks

As I full time curriculum its not postive, its bad, but as a "minor its okay". Sorry to hear about your cousins kid, thats sad. But how can they learn any social skills?.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I think the social skills and interection in school with other kids is important. Being with people that are different.

As for education, it's also important to have more than one, teacher, and I think it's important for learning about life from the different teachers we have, from Kindergarten through high school.

On the positive side to home-schooling, I recall reading that home-schooled kids tested well - even above average, and did well during and after home-schooling.

I worked with a guy who had his youngest son home schooled by his wife (his son's mother). The school didn't have the greatest reputation.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

To do homeschooling properly takes time, energy and more time and energy. But in the long run it can pay off. The big help with homeshooling is finding a community or group of other people that homeschool, not only for social interaction but support.

Think of all the time you wasted in school. 1/2 of the first part of the fall is just trying to get them back into doing school. You can spend as much or as little as you want. You can go on vacation whenever, also making the vacation somewhat educational. The subjects that require more attention get it and the ones that don't you can accelerate.

The time and effort required to do it properly seems much at first but becomes easier with time.

vCash
    Thanks

The homeschooled people i've met generally fall into two catergories, religious and hippy.
    The kids that were homeschooled by ultra religious parents were horribly socially inept, milquetoast, people I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes with. Sure, they may test better, but they were social rejects.

The kids that were done by hippies generally turned out better. They had more interaction with a diverse crowd of people, and just seemed happier.

But, I have to worry about any parent that homeschools their kid. Are they doing it for the kid's benefit, or their own?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Home School...

Social interaction with other kids is usually not available through home schooling; but who says school is the only place for kids to meet? There are many such socializing facilities for families here in Bangkok.
    School is first and foremost about learning. The question to ask is "Will this school teach my child how to learn?" If you think, "Well maybe", then look at other options like home schooling.
    For Thai language check out www.thaihomeschool.com
    For English language check out www.enigmainstitute.com

New Member Array Stylus Trouble's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    As for education, it's also important to have more than one, teacher, and I think it's important for learning about life from the different teachers we have, from Kindergarten through high school.
    I'm not sure i agree with this. Primry schools in Engand as far as i know have 1 teacher and concentrate on Maths and English skills. In Thailand, as young as 6 years old they have different teachers and many different subjects. I don't see it doing them much good.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My first reaction would be to say that the lack of peer contact would be extremely negative and make homeschooling a bad idea.

However, if you are in Thailand with only the option of sending your kid to a Thai school, it may start to look more attractive.

I have been following these threads about schooling options with great interest. Both my older kids had 6 years in one of the best International schools here and did very well, but I have switched to a smaller less impressive school now and am not certain that I would happily entrust my young baby's education to this establishment. Unfortunately, I love the work I do here and have a great group of colleagues, but I feel that for the sake of my son, I should think of moving on soon.

vCash
    Thanks

I have also been following all these parenting threads, trying to make that big decision as to where is best for my child. As I am not a teacher and have minimal contact in the educational system here, I get most of my info about Thai education here on ajarn.

As far as the home schooling goes, no way in hell. Social skills and street smarts take you much further in this world than does book smarts. Don't get me wrong, I am well educated myself and intend to raise my child the same. But I do stress the importance of social interaction and even social engineering in regards to getting things accomplished in this world.

I was primarily thinking about family values when trying to decide where is best for my daughter to grow. I was sure I had my mind made up, bu now I am back to the drawing board as to what is the best route to accomplish my goals with my daughter. Thank you all for your input and experience about raising your child here.

My opinion on home schooling is absolutely not. Have you ever met an adult that was home schooled? Not going to far are they? You can always read a book at any age, but can you really learn how the world works? That needs to be started very very young. I will of course supplement my daughter's education regardless of where she is schooled, but I am stuck on where she should start off in terms of learning the true meanings of life.
    The goal of travel should not be a destination, but to transcend through inspired travel the attachments and habits of inattention that restrict awareness of a larger reality.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I think home schooling is ok.....I think the problem is western culture in general. Take a look at how thai kids, of various ages interact. You can see Thai kids from 3 to 8 or 9 all playing together.

When I was back in the states, I took my oldest son(who was used to playing with Thai kids) to the library. There was a play area there and none of the kids wanted to play with anyone else, they were all a bunch of spoiled brats. Parents have one or two kids and refuse to let them really play with other kids and the kids become social misfits. It ain't the home schooling, it is the parenting.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

Homeschooling for the primary years would be ok as long as you have the support of other homeschoolers. Once they hit high school though I don't believe homeschooling is a good option. Many people I know who have homeschooled have stopped at this point and used the state school system.

In Thailand what are the options, over-priced international schools or private Thai schools with EP programs, neither fill me with enthusiasm.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

How bout a mix?

Home school your kid in the morning and then take him to a school after lunch to mix with the others in PE, Thai, Buddhism and that sort of thing. If the school is uncooperative, toss in a little extra cash in a private meeting with the director. What Thai would or could refuse cash?
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

It might work, I couldn't see it working in our present situation.....but food for thought. Although to be honest I'm not impressed with the behavior of a lot of these Thai kids, spoilt rotten.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarer
    It might work, I couldn't see it working in our present situation.....but food for thought. Although to be honest I'm not impressed with the behavior of a lot of these Thai kids, spoilt rotten.
    An option I might consider in the future, anyway...regarding spoiled Thai kids, you can't alienate your retirement plan!