-->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Boarding School?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thai Boarding School?

Anybody know of a decent boarding school for a 9-year-old Thai girl? Esp. if it has a good English program. Thanks.

vCash
    Thanks

Why do you want to put a nine year old in boarding school?
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Some people put 5 year olds in boarding school in England - it's supposed to be 'Hi-So' for some reason. :sad:

Skyhaven:

Why not just get her adopted and be done with the hassle of looking after her yourself?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    Why do you want to put a nine year old in boarding school?
    Good question, why would you want to do that.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

St Stephens Int School have a campus in Khao Yai (about 2 hours drive from Bangkok) that is exclusively boarding. They were going to close it, but have now given a long-term commitment as parents were so keen to keep it open. It currently has around 85 pupils and are looking to expand. They offer broadly UK curriculum leading to IGCSE exams.

Established User Array el palestino's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Most Thai private schools have an ajarn who will take in boarders. The children are usually the kids of Army officers or government officials who are posted to different locations yearly. They board out the kids to ensure continuity of education. 2500 baht a month plus spending money is the going rate.

Why not just get her adopted and be done with the hassle of looking after her yourself?
    My stepdaughter is being looked after by an ajarn while I try to obtain a visa for her to come to Saudi. I could, of course, give up my well paid position to look after her myself. This would ensure that I would never earn enough money to take care of neither her or myself properly, with the added bonus that I would have to work alongside cretins who hurl insults from the comfort of cyberspace whilst having no knowledge of the character or situation of their target. :chug:

vCash
    Thanks

exactly right.
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Thai Boarding School?

Quote Originally Posted by the-ugly-one View Post
    Some people put 5 year olds in boarding school in England - it's supposed to be 'Hi-So' for some reason. :sad:

Skyhaven:

First time on this forum. Nice to see a level of tolerance and no one jumping to make quick judgements

I have a similar question...

Have a bit of a situation with my niece who lives in Bangkok and I am thinking that a Boarding School might be a solution. Here's the background.

Niece's parents seperated. Her mother moved out of the family home, which comprises her Dad (my brother in law), Aunt (my sister in Law) and her Grand Parents (my in laws). My wife when she lived in the family home was very close to my niece and effectively helped raise her. Niece now aged 11. The father is a bit useless as a parent. Loses his temper a lot, smacks the kid a lot, all that stuff. On the flip side she has been spoilt by most of the family all her short life.

The result is a kid that is fat, lazy, lacks confidence, sits at home, has no social skills etc.

The plan was to bring her to Australia for her High School education. Get her out of the family home, get a good education, build her confidence etc. I have no issue with that, and we are looking at a range of visa options and maybe even adoption if that is the best course. The family all like the idea of her having this chance at a new start.

My concern is that she will not survive in an Australian school the way she is. Barely any English skills (though we have paid for lessons), no confidence, needs everything done for her etc etc. (It's amazing my wife did so well given the family environment as the rest of them are fairly useless people who give up at the first obstacle in anything they try.)

I thought that spending time at a boarding school in Thailand might be a good first step in getting her language skills improved, getting her away from her crap home life, starting to build her self confidence and self reliance etc, in preparation for coming to Australia. The School would obviously need to have a strong focus on teaching some classes at least in English, teaching social skills, values etc. Education is not all academic subjects alone. Anyone who went through the English public (private) school system will know what I mean.

Knowing nothing about schools in Bangkok and even less about Boarding Schools, does anyone have any advice on how we might find one? Any experiences of them? Any tips would be most gratefuly received. Or alternatively if you want to suggest I have her adopted out, take a contract out on her or other similar options, feel free to suggest. But I really would like her to have another chance in life.

vCash
    Thanks

St. Gabriel's foundation run a famous boarding school for boys called Assumption. The girls' equivalent is St. Mary's. Google any of those key words+Thailand and it should come up.

The guy asked for a list of boarding schools, not our opinions on the merits there of.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crew View Post
    St. Gabriel's foundation run a famous boarding school for boys called Assumption. The girls' equivalent is St. Mary's. Google any of those key words+Thailand and it should come up.

Thanks, I'll have a look. My wife has just found a day school that may be OK. Though I think boarding might be best for her. thewphaingarm. Anyone know anything about it?

Had a look for St Marys. No luck. Loads of stuff about Gabriels foundation etc.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toplink View Post
    First time on this forum. Nice to see a level of tolerance and no one jumping to make quick judgements

I have a similar question...

Have a bit of a situation with my niece who lives in Bangkok and I am thinking that a Boarding School might be a solution. Here's the background.

Niece's parents seperated. Her mother moved out of the family home, which comprises her Dad (my brother in law), Aunt (my sister in Law) and her Grand Parents (my in laws). My wife when she lived in the family home was very close to my niece and effectively helped raise her. Niece now aged 11. The father is a bit useless as a parent. Loses his temper a lot, smacks the kid a lot, all that stuff. On the flip side she has been spoilt by most of the family all her short life.

The result is a kid that is fat, lazy, lacks confidence, sits at home, has no social skills etc.

The plan was to bring her to Australia for her High School education. Get her out of the family home, get a good education, build her confidence etc. I have no issue with that, and we are looking at a range of visa options and maybe even adoption if that is the best course. The family all like the idea of her having this chance at a new start.

My concern is that she will not survive in an Australian school the way she is. Barely any English skills (though we have paid for lessons), no confidence, needs everything done for her etc etc. (It's amazing my wife did so well given the family environment as the rest of them are fairly useless people who give up at the first obstacle in anything they try.)

I thought that spending time at a boarding school in Thailand might be a good first step in getting her language skills improved, getting her away from her crap home life, starting to build her self confidence and self reliance etc, in preparation for coming to Australia. The School would obviously need to have a strong focus on teaching some classes at least in English, teaching social skills, values etc. Education is not all academic subjects alone. Anyone who went through the English public (private) school system will know what I mean.

Knowing nothing about schools in Bangkok and even less about Boarding Schools, does anyone have any advice on how we might find one? Any experiences of them? Any tips would be most gratefuly received. Or alternatively if you want to suggest I have her adopted out, take a contract out on her or other similar options, feel free to suggest. But I really would like her to have another chance in life.
    I woul d think very carefully against boarding school in Thailand. For me you'll be throwing a lot of money at something you can't control. The prob;em is her environment and a couple of years paying a huge sum of omney won't chanmge the fact she'll be returning in holidays to an unsettled homelife. Kids are made of strong stuff. throw her in at the deep end in an Australian school and I gurantee she'll learn more in a term than she will in an exclusive boarding school in Thailand. Boarding schools don't want kids with issues to reform them, they want your money. If she goes there be prepared for a whole load of extra bills on top. If you want a child to have a good education, its entirely up to you.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    I woul d think very carefully against boarding school in Thailand. For me you'll be throwing a lot of money at something you can't control. The prob;em is her environment and a couple of years paying a huge sum of omney won't chanmge the fact she'll be returning in holidays to an unsettled homelife. Kids are made of strong stuff. throw her in at the deep end in an Australian school and I gurantee she'll learn more in a term than she will in an exclusive boarding school in Thailand. Boarding schools don't want kids with issues to reform them, they want your money. If she goes there be prepared for a whole load of extra bills on top. If you want a child to have a good education, its entirely up to you.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

New Member Array Amanda D. Collins's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re : Thai Boarding School

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHaven View Post
    Anybody know of a decent boarding school for a 9-year-old Thai girl? Esp. if it has a good English program. Thanks.
    Update!

Hi,

If your looking for a international boarding school that teach good English, then check this out :

Bromsgrove International School Thailand - International School Thailand - Home

and here's the list of Thailand boarding schools that also teach good english :

• American Pacific International School
    • British International School - Phuket
    • Chiang Mai International School
    • ISE - International School Eastern Seaboard
    • St.Stephen´s International School, Khao Yai
    There are still lots of best boarding schools and international schools that teach good English.

vCash
    Thanks

Amanda be sure you know what you are talking about before you post.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

And to check the date of the OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast