things i've seen around the house here in samut prakan and i'm wondering if these things are common or is it just my surroundings. im in a little bit of culture shock here.
1. my wife's youngest brother, aged 23, has a 14 year old girlfriend, it's his 4th such girl of that age and has had 3 kids from those relationships. He doesn't live at the house, and the "mom's" from each of the 3 kids i have never seen. Two of the kids live at the house and are cared for by my wife's sister, and if not for her, they would be growing up parentless. I've seen other thai kids in the neighborhood in their 20's with underaged kids, is this normal here?
2. At what age must you attend school here? The boy mentioned above, almost 5 has not attended school or preschool yet. My wife's - sister's husband refuses to pay for him to go. Isn't school mandatory at a certain age here?
3. The eldest boy in the house, he is 14, sleeps with his mom and holds her breasts. Well, as of last month he did. Check #4 for why that stopped, but is that normal for this culture?
4. At age 14, he smokes, he's allowed to be out all hours of the night and now has a 13 year old girlfriend that is allowed to sleep over. To me this is insane.
5. The girl living next door is 17, and runs a little prostitution ring at the back of the house. The girls are dressed in their school uniforms when they come over and can't be a day over 14, some i could swear are 11 and 12. The guys who come over to have sex with these kids are in their 30's, 40's, 50's. She takes the proceeds and puts it all into phone cards while her 2 year old son looks like he's near starvation, doesn't have a set of shoes and barely has more than a tshirt and shorts to wear.
6. Thai's steal everything. I've bought cheap cutlery and everytime i've done so its been pilfered within a couple of weeks. dishes, stolen. my son's baby shoes, stolen. A cheap bike that i bought had it's chain hacksawed through when it was locked up by my wife's aunt at the market. Is that why every thai lives in a prison? Heck even americans don't prison up their houses the way thai's do here.
7. are all thai's obsessed with possessions? every time i buy a bicycle, or a pizza, or a t.v, my wife has to hear everybody put her down because i haven't bought land or a house and how they are sooooo much richer than us. It's like every person's agenda around here to point out how much better off they are than we are. Furtheremore, everytime i buy a small item the crazy neighbour goes out and tries to top it off. I'm resorting to hanging a glad garbage bag of manure outside the house saying its a sign of farang wealth to see if the neighbour tops it.
I don't even have it bad. Some of you that live out in Issan, and other rural communities, you guys are my inspiration for putting up with all this. I've lived in many different countries, and have never had to contend with things i see thai's do day in and day out. My soft spot is that i love kids, and i think they all have a right to an education and a chance to be shown the many different sports and activities there are to pursue. My greatest sadness so far comes from thai's disregard for their sons and daughters. grrr.
I live in issan and dont nearly have it as bad as you. this sounds awful. i actually like living out here. I wouldnt put up with living next door to a underage brothel. sounds like a total shit hole you live in.Originally Posted by iosufm
Ahhhhh Normality in our present age.....
Didn't Freud say Normality is a product of splitting, introjection,projection,intellectualising,reaction formation and denial?
Normal man in the last 50 years has murded and killed 100 million of his fellow normal man.
Glad I'm not Normal
Normal? Who knows!
Acceptable? Never. I would jolly well get out there and the little blighters to stop carrying on like Thai people in their own back yard. They want civilising up a bit in my opinion.
Your story is exactly why I'm reluctant to move any further out of Bangkok than I currently am. I work in Samut Prakan, but it'skind of the posh(est) end - although that isn't saying much
Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....
So why do you live there?
It is obviously a slum, inhabited by stupid, uneducated and uncaring people.
Fcuk no it isnt normal. Run, run as fast as you can. Get away so you dont get sucked into it.
Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.
Yes, these things are 'normal' in Kkon Kaen...but are moving towards the more 'extreme' end.
The sad thing is that the things you're saying are by no means the most extreme I've heard.
Most farangs don't hear about this stuff as they don't speak Thai, don't have a wife that tells them, or they mostly live in Moobans, where this stuff probably goes on less, and is more hidden.
I'll respond more when I have more time.
PS. I said things like this and people have told me I was full of shit. Even many farangs who lived in Thailand much longer than me have told me that this stuff doesn't go on. They're so busy propping up a barstool and supporting their bloodthirsty Thai wife that they don't have a clue!
Sounds like an exagerrated, but not ludicrously so, picture that I could paint of one of the more depraved streets on the council estate where I grew up.
Why not just move to a better area of town?
Sounds like Bristol
Riddle me this brother can you handle it
Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic
Can someone say "therapy". This seems to be the most unhealthy environment I have heard of. I remember back in the 1980's when some kid from NY killed another kid for his high tops. Sounds a lot like Kentucky and West Virginia. At first I thought you were discussing an old Jerry Springer show. You should definately get out of there. People like that will never change and will only bring corruption to you and your family. This is not normal and not accepted. Unfortunately, in the extremely poor and uneducated areas little is done. Those kind of people are rarely helped because they are of so low class that the one's who have the power to effect change don't care about them. Move out before it is too late.
I can see the new jangwat slogan now Ken,
Welcome to Bak Naam, Twinned with Bristol
I suggest you go and visit Isaan before you make such sweeping generalistaions. Some people maybe poor, but they still have their pride. You're a complete idiot if what you've said is true, which I take with a pinch of salt, and you put up with it.Originally Posted by iosufm
Well, i'm here because while my wife was pregnant we were living in panama and she was lonely. I don't have any family and we came to an agreement to move back here and live with her family. I'd really like my son to grow up in a warm caring family environment, and though my wife's mom and some relatives are very nice, there is just so many things that are making me depressed. Thing is, i really liked thai people when i was first in bangkok, when i met my wife, but i was either in bangkok having fun or we were travelling. What REALLY gets me, is that for our wedding, i offered to pay off the mortgage for the house so long as the title got transfered to her name, which i thought was a fair deal, it cost the equivilant of $12K US. But the little 14yr old sh*t has been arrested 3 times this year so far, the latest resulting in a 44 day prison sentence for dealing drugs. I didn't cough up the 40K baht bail money for him, and he had to serve time, for that lack of support i'm now keenok, jai daam. It really rubs me the wrong way, especially when i see the stuff that they do. I mean, who can justify sleeping all afternoon after sleeping 11 hours at night? Nobody works around here, she has 2 brothers and they do absolutely nothing. This is not what i had in mind when i thought of a family environment. Don't even get me started on the perpetual one year visa renewals revokable at any time. But thanks all, i'll be moving closer to a fellow farang community sooner rather than later.
Get out of dodge now.
Move the whole family out if you have to.
Relocate to a better village.
Villages like this are the way they are because of the head families and the police in the area. Usually one and the same.
There are better villages than this.
If the family doesn't want to relocate leave them there but get yourself, your missus and especially your child out of there.
No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end.
I really can't quite believe this thread. If it is true and not a troll then the only question I would like to ask (and I hope it does not sound too rude), is where the hell did you meet your wife?
dude, i didnt know you had a kid. i would make other arrangements today. go stay somewhere else tonight. you have a drug dealing nephew, and a brothel next door. i wouldnt put my daughter anywhere near this sort of thing, if you love kids take care of your own now. your wifes family is calling you cheap, why bother hanging around with this trash. sounds like the equivelent of a thai trailor park.