SEE TEFL
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snakes

vCash
    Thanks

Snakes

Hi everyone,
    I recently found a snakeskin in our garden in Nonthaburi and today I watched a large, fast moving snake make its way into our neighbour's garden. Damn those things look scary. I'm worried as I have a young child.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with snakes, especially in Nonthaburi? Are they usually dangerous? Apart from running away, what is the best way to deal with them? I've heard there are snake removal services but I have no other details.

Any help appreciated,
    Greg
    Last edited by tazmanian; 31st July 2008 at 19:41.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Snakes

You do appreciate Thailand is home to cobras. So yes there are poisonous snakes here, and a good few harmless ones too.

We would need a good description.

Either move to an apartment or buy a mongoose.
    Migrated

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

In order to get bitten by a snake you pretty well have to step on it.

I know there are cobras here, but don't think there are any poisonous indigenous species.

I'd be more concerned about the scorpions. They can deliver a hefty dose. Still, not life threatening.

Wouldn't worry to much about the child. Chances of a snake bite are probably about the same as winning the national lottery.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

There is a number you can call if you identify the snake as deadly. The day I was leaving for America in April 8 years ago there was a cobra in the yard. Very heavy rain pissed it off. Slithered right past me as I was going out to move a car. I did not know cobra, but soon the wife and help were sure. Their screams brought many people. Too many. When the crew arrived to get the snake all the wanna bees had done their job. No snake.

Who gives a shit? We left and have not seen a venomous snake again. But we do have an over 2 meter heeya living in the lotus pond behind the house. As big as a nice croc.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    I know there are cobras here, but don't think there are any poisonous indigenous species.
    There are plenty mate and it's the pit vipers that you need to be worried about rather than the cobras. Most pit vipers live in trees but the Malayan pit viper is a lazy sod, he just hides under leaves and waits to be stepped on. Those have a very nasty bite and it can be fatal.

As for scorpions, their stingers hurt but ultimately they are harmless. What you really need to worry about are those aggressive little beasties the giant centipedes, very, very unpleasant and much moreso than any scorpion.
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Found one of them giant centipedes while clearing an old damp wood pile. Biggest mofo I've ever seen, nearly a foot long. Now I'm no animal rights person, so I went ahead to see just how tough it was (after our relative hastily cut it almost in two). Here's what I found: they sure don't burn easily with a fresnel lens under the sun, and even (after a couple minutes of trying) with a hole burnt through their heads they're still writhing and running along. Tough bastard.
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

vCash
    Thanks

My Father-in-law hacked one to bits once and all of the bits were still running around, these buggers are dangerous!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tazmanian View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I recently found a snakeskin in our garden in Nonthaburi and today I watched a large, fast moving snake make its way into our neighbour's garden. Damn those things look scary. I'm worried as I have a young child.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with snakes, especially in Nonthaburi? Are they usually dangerous? Apart from running away, what is the best way to deal with them? I've heard there are snake removal services but I have no other details.

Any help appreciated,
    Greg
    Loads of snakes in Thailand but you need only worry about the pit vipers, the kraits, the cobras, the king cobras and the sea snakes. The fact that there's absolutely loads of them is obviously a slight concern. Had two green pit vipers in the garden while I was in Ayutthaya- I chopped them up, fried em with a few chilies and put an egg on top.

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss
    Samak- "Westerners have a saying, 'Look at both sides of the coin', but Westerners only look at one side, Myanmar is a Buddhist country. Myanmar's leaders meditate. They say the country lives in peace. We have three neighbours: Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. We use their resources, all three of them. If we have this great relationship, why should we pick on them?....They (the leaders) found new gas resources. I negotiated with them so we can sign contracts."

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OllySol View Post
    Loads of snakes in Thailand but you need only worry about the pit vipers, the kraits, the cobras, the king cobras and the sea snakes. The fact that there's absolutely loads of them is obviously a slight concern. Had two green pit vipers in the garden while I was in Ayutthaya- I chopped them up, fried em with a few chilies and put an egg on top.

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss
    Killed a red-headed krait a couple of months back at the families house in Ratburi. Bit the dog first though, though luckily it survived. The fiesty bastard was only 2 feet long though till it got it's head caved it. The red head is a dead give away. Avoid it.

Established User Array Sanitysub's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tazmanian View Post
    Hi everyone,

Any help appreciated,
    Greg
    I suggest the above while screaming loudly!!!

I suppose the best thing would to be to "watch where you tread" and to keep your child away from "snake friendly" areas such as heaps of dried leaves or logs?

You could get somebody to come and try catch it but to be honest I don't think this would put my mind at rest with regards to whether there were more? I think that if this was me (and I too have children so appreciate your anxiety there!) I would be inclined to remind them that Thailand has different "beasts" to the UK, to stay away from piles of leaves etc. and on no account to try and catch a snake should they see one?

S.
    I read it all, every word, and I still don't understand a thing. Travis

vCash
    Thanks

One thing you can do to reduce the incidence of snake visits is to remove their food. Do whatever you can to keep frogs rats and mice out of the garden.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chang View Post
    One thing you can do to reduce the incidence of snake visits is to remove their food. Do whatever you can to keep frogs rats and mice out of the garden.
    Chang is right. This past summer, we kept getting this snake that would be hiding near a small fish pond. I've noticed a sound like a baby bird cried....then I saw this thing with its mouth wide open and half a frog sticking out. I got scared of him and he got scared of me and he dropped the frog. Eventhough I got jumpy with the snake, I felt guilty for making him miss his dinner (although I was pleased for the frog). He came back several times and I was worried about the my cats but then after summer he sort of disappeared. No more frog left I guess.
    ชมนักผักตบซ้อน บอนแซง
    บอนสุพรรณหั่นแกง อร่อยแท้
    บอนบางกอกดองแสลง เหลือแหล่ แม่เอย
    บอนปากยากจะแก้ ไม่สิ้นลิ้นบอน

elc
    Lifer Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Lots of snakes where i live. Take a look at this site.

Poisonous snakes of Thailand

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    Wouldn't worry to much about the child.
    cant agree with you here. i killed two snakes while i was in thailand. one was a cobra in my yard in phitsanulok. small kids getting bitten by a poisonous snake is bad news. other time was one in the field and my brother in law is scared of snakes but loves eating them. I use to find reticulated pythons crossing the road in phitsanulok, big 15 footers. one outside our townhouse and the locals were ready to mash the thing. i grabbed it and put it in the brush nearby. great animals.
    i hate those centipedes as well, big ones in thailand.
    I've got to pick myself up Dust myself off And start all over again.
    -Peter Tosh

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitysub View Post
    I suggest the above while screaming loudly!!!
    Snakes don't have ears, but if it makes you feel better why not?!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast