SEE TEFL
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 68

Thread: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

  1. #31
    New Member Array hilly_jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bangna, Bangkok
    Posts
    79
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    99

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    I completely agree with the OP. I live on 40k a month in Bangkok and easily save 15k of that. Just got back from a weeks travelling down south, and two weeks back in England. On my salary I have more than enough. I understand if people have kids and families to look after then they need more. But I have a dog, a gf and can afford holidays! It just depends on how you value things in life. I'd rather take a 10baht bus or sawngtail over a 100 baht taxi ride any day. Not just cause you see different things but because that is how the majority of thais live, and I didn't come to Thailand to live a western lifestyle.

  2. #32
    Regular User Array torbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Don't really know anymore...
    Posts
    1,262
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    661

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by hilly_jr View Post
    I'd rather take a 10baht bus or sawngtail over a 100 baht taxi ride any day. Not just cause you see different things but because that is how the majority of thais live, and I didn't come to Thailand to live a western lifestyle.
    I wonder what form of transport your Thai fellow passengers would rather?

    Actually I don't wonder. I know.

    So if, for example, you were visiting Turkey...would you opt for the cheapest, least safe form of transport just because you "didn't go to Turkey for a western lifestyle"?

    And taxi is "western" is it?

    No rickshaws in Asia? Isn't a taxi just just a rickshaw with an engine? So the better off Thais switched from rickshaws to taxis. (The even better-off, who I imagine owned their own rickshaw in the past, bought their own cars!) Does that make them less Thai?

    Your response would be more credible if you said "I didn't come to Thailand to live a middle class or better lifestyle."

    Then you'd at least be acknowedging you are living the life of the poor.

    I completely agree with the OP. I live on 40k a month in Bangkok and easily save 15k of that. Just got back from a weeks travelling down south, and two weeks back in England. On my salary I have more than enough. I understand if people have kids and families to look after then they need more. But I have a dog, a gf and can afford holidays! It just depends on how you value things in life.
    So you live in Bangkok on 25,000 per month supporting a dog and a girlfriend.

    Admirable.

    Of course, as we've already established, you have chosen to live the life of the poor, so I suppose it's doable.

    And let's see...two weeks in UK. Airfare has to be 50,000 baht or more (for one). 50 quid a day (and that's not much or a holiday)? There's another 40,000 or so. Followed by week down south? Had to cost at least 10,000. Can't be much more of that 15,000 a month savings left for a rainy day or retirement...

    But good on you. You got the values.
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

  3. #33
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    242

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Many Western women will pay for the second date and go halves on most things.

  4. #34
    SageAndOnion
    Guest

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    What has that got to do with the price of fish?

    (My gf goes at least halves on most things, although we don't keep accounts)

  5. #35
    playing the field... Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upinyourburi
    Posts
    4,275
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts


    Rep Power
    4650

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Discussion about taxes and European economies moved here:

    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/banking...iscussion.html (Taxes and European economies discussion.)

    Discussion about shorts and what's proper to wear to the mall moved to here:

    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/practic...shorts-ok.html

    Let's try to keep this on topic from now on please.
    Follow the three Rís: Respect for self Respect for others and Responsibility for all your actions.
    --Erma Bombek

  6. #36
    Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,583
    vCash
    40800
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 252 Times in 167 Posts


    Rep Power
    50444

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Taking the cheaper option because you choose to is very different from having to.
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

  7. #37
    jkd
    jkd is offline
    Regular User Array jkd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    611
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts


    Rep Power
    6233

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    Seems like for ages that I could never quite square the peg. Some say 30k is enough some say it's a pittance and the sacrifices would be many. It popped into my head that it may come down to this;

    The importance of social contact to the individual.

    If a person places a greater value on things; a car, a PS3, a western kitchen, Levi jeans, etc then of course a Thai wage of 30k will seem like poverty.
    For many all of the above would be exchanged in a second for a few good friends or even the chance just to be surrounded by people. And for these Thailand really is still cheap.

    Standing on the street eating lunch in the UK, trying to get a smile out of a shop assistant, feeling a little bit attractive by walking into a 7/11, sit outside a corner shop drinking a beer. Do these things in the UK and they're either futile or you'd be branded a loser.
    But for many teachers in Thailand doing any of the above is a real source of pleasure.

    There are still many nice girls in Thailand that will be happy with a 150bht meal in a restaurant as a date. That's like trying to get a British girl to accept a M and S sandwich as a night out.

    The truth is that you can still have a social life in Thailand for a very low cost and I believe THAT is the reason why many people say that 30k is enough still. And the ones who don't I believe may be the ones who value UBC, a western kitchen, and owning a few status symbols (especially if they are still comparing themselves with their friends in the west) over the above.

    Of course there is a minority here who do want their social life to be a major part of their life, but who want to socialize with people who have a certain financial quality (as opposed to other qualities which I believe one can meet easily here) and these people will need a lot more than 30k to meet their life style goals. That also applies to guys who want to meet whores too of course.

    Personally I'd rather stay in a 5k room, meet my friends for a couple of beers and a fried rice on the street most nights. Take a trip on a bus with a mate and our Mrs to a beach once a month and smile and be smiled at by the locals than live in a palace, drive a BMW and eat only the finest if it meant that I only had a little social contact.

    Reminds me of when I used to collect money for charity in the UK: The working class areas where kids were playing on the street and there was (at that time) still a sense of community, the doors were usually opened with a smile. The posh areas were deathly quiet and often I met the most miserable looking poeple you're likely to find anywhere.

    So I still feel that if you love people more than things 30k can still give you a good life even in Thailand's capital.
    It's an interesting thread. I do see your point. I did find that life was lived much more outside in Thailand, people smile more (LOS after all), and there was more of a social life than here. It's all true and it's what draws me. There's always an interesting conversation waiting .

    having said all that, I'm taking some of my back home income with me. There are certain compromises I'm not willing to make.

  8. #38
    Meche Array Mvinci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Asoke-Din Dang
    Posts
    281
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    1703

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Bravo! 30K in BKK can be tough, the rents that are being charged are outrageous, and I am not sure who they are renting the $25K a month studios too...but, if you live simply - like a native for the most part - then 30K is very decent. I live in Pathumthani, make 32K and have more than $20K left over each month for travel and savings. My place has a/c, cable and is furnished - no kitchen but a 3-in-1 cooker allows me to make simple meals at home when I get bored of the talat food.

    Social interaction is cheap -and by far the best value for your money!

  9. #39
    Established User Array Silverfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In a box
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    197

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    you cannot have an outdoor lifestyle in the UK. you can have a debt ridden, dangerous, meaningless, 6 months of gloomy weather at least every year kind of lifestyle with shit food.

    People who come to Se Asia are not losers, they just dont want the crap of NE Europe. And yes the women are beautiful..whats not to love? Its like would anyone go to an art gallery to see paintings they knew they wouldnt like. mind you all teh whores just annoy me.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Please feed my monkey

  10. #40
    Holy Diver Array robitusson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bkk
    Posts
    16,316
    vCash
    1200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    8197

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    People who come to Se Asia are not losers
    No. No way. They move to Thailand on a winning streak.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  11. #41
    Regular User Array colnelkurts77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    500
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Rep Power
    320

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    ^

  12. #42
    Senior Member Array Matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,849
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 316 Times in 232 Posts


    Rep Power
    47967

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Thread Closed
    "If you're not interested in changing where you work (and thus the student population, obviously) then a) your success at applying various and sundry teaching techniques is unlikely to have anything to do with how effective they are in general, and b) your sweeping generalizations about Thai students serve no purpose but to fuel your inertia and your feeling of being an 'insider'. Sadly (for you) few who read your sweeping generalizations will perceive it that way, but hey if it makes you feel good, knock yourself out." -zeusdogg

  13. #43
    Member Array Cawphad Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    907
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    816

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mvinci View Post
    have more than $20K left over each month for travel and savings.
    Saving $20,000 a month - are there any jobs going at your place?
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

    I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  14. #44
    Established User Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    suphanburi
    Posts
    476
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    432

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cawphad Guy View Post
    Saving $20,000 a month - are there any jobs going at your place?
    Hear,hear

  15. #45
    ex ex-member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,591
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 303 Times in 193 Posts


    Rep Power
    40962

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Thread = subjective..but do carry on with all your objective comments about it...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cost of living on Koh Samui or Phuket?
    By Claireabelle in forum The Newbie Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th October 2007, 13:56
  2. The cost of living thread
    By laoshi in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st September 2006, 09:34
  3. The best cost of living price comparator
    By legaleagle in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21st April 2005, 22:50
  4. Cost of living \ wife working?
    By johnny99 in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 25th November 2004, 16:38

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •