SEE TEFL -->
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

  1. #1
    very dodgy.... Array pornstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    osaka,Japan
    Posts
    76
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    175

    The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Seems like for ages that I could never quite square the peg. Some say 30k is enough some say it's a pittance and the sacrifices would be many. It popped into my head that it may come down to this;

    The importance of social contact to the individual.

    If a person places a greater value on things; a car, a PS3, a western kitchen, Levi jeans, etc then of course a Thai wage of 30k will seem like poverty.
    For many all of the above would be exchanged in a second for a few good friends or even the chance just to be surrounded by people. And for these Thailand really is still cheap.

    Standing on the street eating lunch in the UK, trying to get a smile out of a shop assistant, feeling a little bit attractive by walking into a 7/11, sit outside a corner shop drinking a beer. Do these things in the UK and they're either futile or you'd be branded a loser.
    But for many teachers in Thailand doing any of the above is a real source of pleasure.

    There are still many nice girls in Thailand that will be happy with a 150bht meal in a restaurant as a date. That's like trying to get a British girl to accept a M and S sandwich as a night out.

    The truth is that you can still have a social life in Thailand for a very low cost and I believe THAT is the reason why many people say that 30k is enough still. And the ones who don't I believe may be the ones who value UBC, a western kitchen, and owning a few status symbols (especially if they are still comparing themselves with their friends in the west) over the above.

    Of course there is a minority here who do want their social life to be a major part of their life, but who want to socialize with people who have a certain financial quality (as opposed to other qualities which I believe one can meet easily here) and these people will need a lot more than 30k to meet their life style goals. That also applies to guys who want to meet whores too of course.

    Personally I'd rather stay in a 5k room, meet my friends for a couple of beers and a fried rice on the street most nights. Take a trip on a bus with a mate and our Mrs to a beach once a month and smile and be smiled at by the locals than live in a palace, drive a BMW and eat only the finest if it meant that I only had a little social contact.

    Reminds me of when I used to collect money for charity in the UK: The working class areas where kids were playing on the street and there was (at that time) still a sense of community, the doors were usually opened with a smile. The posh areas were deathly quiet and often I met the most miserable looking poeple you're likely to find anywhere.

    So I still feel that if you love people more than things 30k can still give you a good life even in Thailand's capital.
    Old pond...
    a frog leaps in
    water's sound

    古池や蛙飛込む水の音

  2. #2
    Regular User Array been there done that's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,476
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    620

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    30 k isn't enough no matter how thinly you slice it

    there are only so matter bowls of 30 baht noodles you can eat before it's time to blow 300 or so for pizza hawaiian w/all the trimmings at pizza company
    Last edited by been there done that; 19th May 2009 at 13:45.
    Once is great.
    Twice is too much.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bangers
    Posts
    9,324
    vCash
    16975
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    15730

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    I prefer to have a social life, a nice place to live, holidays where I want, the things that I want...also not having to worry about being skint if things go wrong.

    30k is fuck all
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

  4. #4
    Regular User Array barfomcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    1,094
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2307

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    30k is okay for a few months, but long term it simply isn't tenable - unless you've already built up substantial savings in the West or elsewhere.

  5. #5
    CWM
    CWM is offline
    New Member Array CWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    81
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    700

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    There is a guy posting about his costs of living and to see if he can do it for under 30,000 thb on the ajarn website...

    After 11 days he has spent about 16,000 including his rent , but not utilities. I am guessing he will be able to do it (barely).

    You should check it out and see if the lifestyle he discribes would suite you.

    It is important to note that he appears to be single (doesn't appear to have any expenses associated with a family or a girlfreind).

    It also appears that he does not work because I have not seen any travel expenses related to going to work or any mention of going to work.

    It also appears that if he is able to do this it doesn't look like he is going to have much of anything left over for a "rainly day" / "emergency" / "savings" / "retirement" fund.
    Last edited by CWM; 19th May 2009 at 13:14. Reason: minor typos

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bangers
    Posts
    9,324
    vCash
    16975
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    15730

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by CWM View Post
    There is a guy posting about his costs of living and to see if he can do it for under 30,000 thb on the ajarn website... After 11 days he has spent about 16,000 including his rent , but not utilities. I am guessing he will be able to do it (barely). You should check it out and see if the lifestyle he discribes would suite you. It is important to note that he appears to be single (doesn't appear to have any expenses associated with a family or a girlfreind). It also appears that he does not work because I have not seen any travel expenses related to going to work or any mention of going to work. It also appears that if he is able to do this it doesn't look like he is going to have much of anything left over for a "rainly day" / "emergency" / "savings" / "retirement" fund.
    we know, the thread for it is here

    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/practic...-out-here.html (What does 30k in BKK actually get you? Find out here!)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10,302
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 179 Times in 122 Posts


    Rep Power
    14968

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    Standing on the street eating lunch in the UK, trying to get a smile out of a shop assistant, feeling a little bit attractive by walking into a 7/11, sit outside a corner shop drinking a beer. Do these things in the UK and they're either futile or you'd be branded a loser.
    Are you serious? Whenever I see someone drinking beer outside a corner shop from either a tin or bottle, I'm never inclined to say "now there goes a successful man"

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    Personally I'd rather stay in a 5k room, meet my friends for a couple of beers and a fried rice on the street most nights. Take a trip on a bus with a mate and our Mrs to a beach once a month and smile and be smiled at by the locals than live in a palace, drive a BMW and eat only the finest if it meant that I only had a little social contact.
    No disrespect but I'll take the palace and the BMW. You usually find you're never short of friends if you got those two. Of course you will tend to attrct the kind of friends who are constantly tapping you up for a loan. The 'couple of beers and fried rice on the street' friends will tap you up as well though. That's usually why they're drinking two beers and eating fried rice on the street in the first place.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

  8. #8
    CWM
    CWM is offline
    New Member Array CWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    81
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    700

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    I am glad to here that you know of it, though perphaps some of the other readers of this thread may not have known.

    Thanks for posting a link.

  9. #9
    SageAndOnion
    Guest

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    So I still feel that if you love people more than things 30k can still give you a good life even in Thailand's capital.
    That's all very lovely but many people don't consider a car a luxury and don't buy one just for the status attached to it. (??!)

    You can't save any money and if you are a bit older, life in a shoebox may not be all that attractive long term.

  10. #10
    CWM
    CWM is offline
    New Member Array CWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    81
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Rep Power
    700

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by SageAndOnion View Post
    That's all very lovely but many people don't consider a car a luxury and don't buy one just for the status attached to it. (??!)

    You can't save any money and if you are a bit older, life in a shoebox may not be all that attractive long term.
    I agree, I didn't buy my car here or when I was in the US for anyone other than my family and I...

    They are not status symbols, they are convenience items.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array stfranalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lumpy space
    Posts
    11,369
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 231 Times in 181 Posts


    Rep Power
    43847

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by CWM View Post
    It also appears that if he is able to do this it doesn't look like he is going to have much of anything left over for a "rainly day" / "emergency" / "savings" / "retirement" fund.
    right. its romantic to say that you live off of little....but not too romantic to be stuck someplace in life.

    Kerouac is cool in a book.

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    if you love people more than things 30k can still give you a good life even in Thailand's capital.
    so EITHER you love people OR youre a money whore!


    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    Whenever I see someone drinking beer outside a corner shop from either a tin or bottle, I'm never inclined to say "now there goes a successful man"
    right. i love his implication that hanging out at the corner store is somehow indiana jones adventerous. we're being all "travel channel" authentic, eh!

    no really. its lame anywhere. when you see the farangs and/or thais lounging at minimarts, its real class.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    The 'couple of beers and fried rice on the street' friends will tap you up as well though
    the line about the rich friends being the greediest for money struck me as so naieve and inexperienced i had to read it twice. from many examples ive seen, its the corner store dudes who are gonna hit you up for the scraps. everytime. anyplace.

  12. #12
    Regular User Array barfomcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    1,094
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2307

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    It's strange that Pornstar appears to be posting from Japan - in dreaming about the glories of a $900 salary in Thailand from afar, it's easy to forget about the harsh realities such a life actually brings.

  13. #13
    very dodgy.... Array pornstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    osaka,Japan
    Posts
    76
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    175

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Well the opposition to my post so far seems to suggest that you need a lot more money than 30k to live in Thailand. I know that at least Phil says that outside BK aint no cheaper either.

    Btw, I am trying to explain WHY people choose to live here on about 30k not about myself.

    So lets take Chiangrai, Phitsanuluk or any Thai town as a good example. If you can't live a good life on 30k then why are there so many foreign people teaching there on about 30k? If the quality of life was crap (by their NOT your judgement) then they wouldn't be there surely?

    Can any of the above posters explain why there are thousands of farang teaching in Thailand for a pittance then? And lets ignore the ones in their first year as rightly so they may be just enjoying the novelty of it. If you can't have a reasonable life on 30k and you have a degree or a skill then you must be mad to stay here if what you say is true. So what's your take on why they do?

  14. #14
    Regular User Array barfomcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    1,094
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2307

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Girls.

  15. #15
    SageAndOnion
    Guest

    Re: The real reason Thailand DOES have a low cost of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by pornstar View Post
    Can any of the above posters explain why there are thousands of farang teaching in Thailand for a pittance then?
    Because they are complete losers who had an even worse lifestyle back home, even less respect and no girls.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cost of living on Koh Samui or Phuket?
    By Claireabelle in forum The Newbie Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th October 2007, 13:56
  2. The cost of living thread
    By laoshi in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st September 2006, 09:34
  3. The best cost of living price comparator
    By legaleagle in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21st April 2005, 22:50
  4. Cost of living \ wife working?
    By johnny99 in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 25th November 2004, 16:38

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •