SEE TEFL

Thread: Are 'old school' Thai baht bills and coins worth any more?

Duriantastic! Array DeathbyDurian's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Are 'old school' Thai baht bills and coins worth any more?

Occasionally I recieve a 20 or 50 Baht bill from another era. Besides looking cool and fancy (pending the condition of the note) do they have increased value over a regular note?

I ask this because I was handed a crisp and basically unused old-style (90's?) 50 baht bill last week and I can't get myself to spend it.

I can't imagine it being worth more than say, 52 baht, but who knows?

I also got a shiny new commemerative 10 baht coin in change a while back.

Unfortunately I lost it in a game of cards to a Thai friend who proceeded to kiss it and take it out of play. Just made me think twice about what I should let out of my possession.

Any thoughts?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

If you get a 500 Baht note with the King's mother on the watermark, keep it!

Added after 1 minutes:

BTW - stamp collecting is HUGE in Thailand

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky

Added after 1 minutes:

An older western neighbour in Pattaya who is an avid stamp collector (philliwatistafile or whatever) says it's impossible to get proper mounts here (obviously never been to Soi 6).........
    "Only bad persons can think bad thing from the good thing."
    Ajarn Supat
    16/10/00

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I have found "coin wallets" in Tesco recently, which probably aren't the chemically inert archival things they need to be, but they keep the coins more or less protected and organized. Proper mounts for stamps are more important since the paper's easier to damage.

"Steven"
    "Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."

Heard in a U.S. Public School

vCash
    Thanks

Just back from the post office....2 customers in line before me were there buying commemorative stamps...one Thai and one farang.
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

vCash
    Thanks

I dont think they are. Unless a coin or a bill is in mint condition it is worth nothing. But hang on to them. Maybe they'll pay for your kids education in 30 years.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

amoxycillin

Added after 1 minutes:

Bloody oath, post it on here as soon as you can, I will buy! Biggest profit margins in town in my book!

Duriantastic! Array DeathbyDurian's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amoxycillin

Bloody oath, post it on here as soon as you can, I will buy! Biggest profit margins in town in my book!
    Does this note actually exist? I have a distinct feeling my leg is being pulled...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

That note exists and was in circulation circa. 1990/91.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

check out ebay they are on sale there to see approximate price.

But you have to remember, collecting stamps etc, are expensive and the value is not that much unless its like 20 years later.

Best bet is to buy GOLD while its going up!!

Its gone up about 400baht in the last month

E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

amoxycillin
    Its gone up about 400baht in the last month
    Had to do with that thai/chinese holiday last week where they all ate duck and paid respect to their ancestors (and bought gold for those important to them), wouldn't make any invetsment decisions on that fluctuation cobber.

expatwannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    I dont think they are. Unless a coin or a bill is in mint condition it is worth nothing. But hang on to them. Maybe they'll pay for your kids education in 30 years.
    Generally true. With coins and stamps, condition and scarcity are ultra-important. Maybe you can find out how many of them were minted, and how many are estimated to be in circulation?

Or .. best bet is to go to a few Thai vendors and ask how much to buy one - that'll give you an idea of the value.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Did an activity last year where the kids collected a whole bunch of 1B coins and sorted them by age- noticed that there weren't any of the current model before about 20 years or so ago- so would guess the previous model might have some value in a few centuries.

Bought a few silver coins from the French occupation of Indochina... those might keep some value, if only for the silver.

I'm thinking of sending a folder full of brilliant to near-brilliant coins back home and telling my family to hold onto them for a few generations and then see if they're worth anything.

"Steven"

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

What about the commemorative 100 baht bill, printed last year for the Queen's 6th cycle? I've got a couple of those in mint condition. I wonder how long it will be before those are worth more than 100 baht.

Senior Member Array Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

What about the commemorative 100 baht bill, printed last year for the Queen's 6th cycle? I've got a couple of those in mint condition. I wonder how long it will be before those are worth more than 100 baht.
    I think you'll find they already are worth more. I seem to remember a commerative 500B bill selling for more as soon as it was issued. There's a few dealers at JJ Market near the Kampangpaet MRT station that might be worth talking to.