Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher's license

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Teacher's license

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty2
    OK, my wife has been hearing about new requirements for Farang teachers and called the KruSapa (Teacher's Council) and asked a few questions.

Here's what she was told:

1. The Teacher's Council is or will be issuing 5 year Teacher's Licences which will take the place of the 1 year licences that we are currently being issued.

2. Within 3 years all Farang teachers will have to get these licences. Her exact words were "In 3 years no more illegal teachers". In the interests of domestic harmony I didn't comment on this statement.

3. For teachers like myself, who qualify for the current license, but who don't have graduate level education credits or an overseas teaching license, the following will be required:

a. A 3 day Thai culture course that costs 4,000b. There are 5 schools in BKK that are approved by the TCT to offer this course: Ratchapat Jankesem, Ratchapat Dusit, Ratachpat Rangsit, Assumption College and Nanachat International University. Some schools are charging more for this course.

b. A series of 4 tests offered by the KruSapa on Thai Culture and Educational Techniques. These tests cost 1000b each.

4. These licences are not school specific, so a teacher won't have to reapply to the MOE every time he or she changes jobs, although they will have to inform the MOE where they are currently teaching.

When she asked about the 12K- 20K baht courses I have seen mentioned on this forum, she was told: "Some schools are charging more than they should for the course. Teachers should be smart enough to call us up to find out what the truth is. If they are stupid enough to trust their schools they may end up paying extra." However, the people at the Krusapa don't speak much English, so you should get a Thai friend to call for you!

Now, this info may be correct or incorrect. I may have totally misunderstood my wife, she may have misunderstood the fellow at the KruSapa, he may have been talking through his hat or the requirements may change next month! But, for what it's worth, this is what I was told.
    Qwerty2

Your information is completely correct. Yesterday I finished the 3 day course Language, Culture and Ethics at Chandrakasem (Jankesem) as written in my previous post. As I don't have any teaching credits I have to do the four tests. I applied already. More information can be found here: http://foreprof.ksp.or.th/

Stamp

vCash
    Thanks

Reading thru the information on the link above, it states the applications must be complete by Oct. 8. What if you're late????

vCash
    Thanks

I sure am glad I work in a university.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobman_y2k
    Reading thru the information on the link above, it states the applications must be complete by Oct. 8. What if you're late????
    Bobman,

I think you'll have to wait for the next test period. I've heard that the next one is in February 2008 and that there are plans to give the tests three times a year.

Stamp

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks!!!! I'm getting my WP and visa renewed this week or next...hopefully can just wait it out.

vCash
    Thanks

They told my wife that this was being phased in over 3 years. Your current paperwork should be sufficient for a while yet.

Anyway, who knows? If this wipes out too many English teachers, they may change their rules!
    __________________________________________________ ________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    And I thought that it was just a car!

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

They told my wife that this was being phased in over 3 years. Your current paperwork should be sufficient for a while yet.

Anyway, who knows? If this wipes out too many English teachers, they may change their rules!
    As someone else said. No 2 schools are told the same things. I for one urge all Ferangs to not pay a dime for any of these courses unless you want to do it for yourself. I've no doubt that the only school who promote them are doing so out of personal greed and a kickback.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I work at a school where they've told us all that they've applied for teachers licenses on our behalf and the school's shelling out for 'em. Also that in the very near future, unless you have a license, new job applicants will have to sit hours of exams before being accepted by the Ministry of Education. It currently takes about a year for the license to come through since the M of E is currently processing 60,000 licenses!
    He likes you but he likes your butt.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp
    I think you'll have to wait for the next test period.
    My wife gets real bad cramps with her real period...I hope it does hurt too much.

Asked about it today and the admin guy said "Teachers license, oh, no worry". When I hear stuff like that, it makes me worry...have I been in Thailand too long?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Looks like bobman_y2k has found his new sexual outlet.

vCash
    Thanks

Rum...

You're right...but its electrical outlets, not sexual ones. Friggin Thai houses come with one or two outlets in the entire house it seems. But I will admit that I was off topic and this is one of those thread that should be kept fairly serious.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks ubonmay.
    I have heard about this but now the info helps.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

ur welcome

vCash
    Thanks

^Mmmm........talking to yourself?

vCash
    Thanks

Okay, I'm getting ready to run the gauntlet. Have finished all the paperwork and the Thai Culture, Language and Professional Ethics course. Submitting the degree, foreign teaching credentials, recommendation letter and 500 baht (at least its going to the teachers council instead of beiong siphoned off by the local directors and administrators).

The 3-year thing is a misnomer. All course and exam results have to be submitted within 3 years of completion. The old law said it would all be in effect in 3 years, but that was 5 years ago.

As far as professional ethics, it was a review of the laws governing teacher and administrator licensing, suspension and revocation. It certainly can't be enforced, as all Thai government schools would be shuttered for lack of staff. And the Rajabhat professors certainly got an earful of what farang teachers think of the current state of ethics in Thai schools.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast