International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Teaching Dislexic Students

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Tips for Teaching Dislexic Students

I have a large class with students of drastically varied levels. Two of my students are dislexic. I have no idea how to help them. Its seems as though past teachers have just ignored them and let them pass on to the next level. They are in Level 6 English, and they would probably have trouble passing a level 2 class.

I thought about giving them easier, modified worksheets but I'm worried that will cause the other students to 1.) not want to do their own work and 2.) make fun of the dislexic students. The administration at my school has not been helpful at all. They just tell me to work with them when I have the time.

Has anyone had any experience with Dislexic students in a mixed class? Any tips that may help?

Thanks

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Tips for Teaching Dislexic Students

First question. How have you determined they have dyslexia?
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

dyslexia is enlightenment to thai's. you should be embarrassed that you only have 2 students.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The Internet is full of it, friend. I was lex as a child and it's no fun. No sense in my telling you all about the experience when a few clicks will take you to better authors than me. I know at least five of mine are. I ain't gona get involved, it's not on my contract and the word probably doesn't even exist in the vocabularies but for .0001% of Thai nationals.
    -----
    watdog:

you have mail
    Last edited by jonny danger; 6th November 2006 at 21:57. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I was told by the teacher who had them in class before I arrived. They seem to fit the mold, but its not like I've seen anything official.

I've read some articles, but they seem like they've been written by some theorist who has never been in a classroom. I would like to hear from some people who have taught dyslexic students, or people who have dealt with dyslexia themselves. Any insight into how I can help these students would be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to ignore them like everyone else has.

vCash
    Thanks

wow good going man!

Try keep the lesson light and fun, they know that they are not good in English and when it gets a bit tough they will probably give up.

Nice and easy with some games, more focus on speaking and listening rather than grammar and writing imo

vCash
    Thanks

Well for starters:

ensure their vision is okay
    do an educational assessment of their reading skills
    do a similar assessment for writing

Honestly though, in a class of fifty students with "widely varying" abilities what exactly do you think you're going to accomplish for these two ?

And then you should be aware of the stigma and family honour issue involved should you go out of your way to identify their progeny as being "defective."

With the time, resources and training you have you are much more likely to do harm than good. My advice...leave it alone.

And for goodness sake don't single these two out in class for your special attention.

Not in your pay scale mate. Not your job, not at all.

Good luck.

You are going to have to learn to compromize here. Even if their learning disability were correctly diagnosed, there ain't no resources here for follow up treatment.

This is the developing world. That dyslexia is hardly going to be a factor in them when feeding buffalo, getting sap from rubber trees or driving a sontaew.

vCash
    Thanks

Replace letters in words with pictures whose sound is similar to the picture. The key is to put the pictures in order by way of a story. They must learn left to right. What remains of my lex is to start to spell the next word before I finish with the first. It never goes away completely, I am sixty.

mig
    vCash
    Thanks

Even for someone who is diagnosed as having dyslexia the problems they have can vary widely. From someone who cannot make anything like letter shapes to someone who has problems with spelling, reading, writing and some math.

There is a program called Fast Forward that has been proved to help people who have dyslexia (the evidence is quite convincing). It is very expensive and available in Bangkok form some of the international schools and the Reed Institute.

In your situation, as Russell said, what can you do? Differentiation – the presentation of materials at different levels in the same class – is the norm and required in the real world. But there teachers have back-up and not so many students in their classes.

However, things that work for dyslexic children work for other children as well. The idea of holistic teaching – using visual, auditory as well as kinesthetic methods and therefore memory could be helpful. Do they know the sounds of the letters? Basic, but you may be surprised.

Dyslexic children can be intelligent and find their own strategies to help themselves. Get them to use a computer to do their work if possible.
    Bark like a Donkey!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watdog
    dyslexia is enlightenment to thai's. you should be embarrassed that you only have 2 students.
    lo, how true.
    -----
    I had one girl in my class who was like that. Basically be patient with them, not put them down or single them out for the other students. Offer some more attention, and encouragement, be positive. Basically, the students will see that and either make fun of you or respect that.
    Last edited by chuck_s; 7th November 2006 at 13:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CharlieX / Abdul Jabaar
    If you really want to reach me, you'll know how.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
    Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
    Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
    Master of the Day of Judgment.
    Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
    Show us the straight way,
    The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    Well for starters:

ensure their vision is okay
    do an educational
    That's an excellent point! It's amazing how many kids just need glasses or have them and don't wear them!

vCash
    Thanks

What amazes me is that there's no social support for school kids. Even in Mexico a student can get a free eye exam. When I was a kid in grammar school an eyevan would roll in every semester and check kids for free .. that was 1950. What nerve to those who call this a Third World nation. Fifth World!

vCash
    Thanks

That's too true Jonny. I am fucking amazed at the number of times that I pass a classroom peak inside and the bloody place is, I mean dark. Hunched around tables there are thirty students squinting with their eyes a few inches from the paper trying to read some text on that cheap fibre paper so common here. This is the norm, day in and day out throughout the school.

I think in the future this place is going to be a nation of half blind diabetics.

Just no common sense. Truly amazing.

vCash
    Thanks

And they want us more qualified. Hey! All you teachers in up-town Bangkok! You haven't a clue to the real Thailand.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. Like russellsimpson said, I will probably have to compromise quite a bit due to the lack of any assistance. I, however, refuse to just "leave it alone." My younger brother has special needs and I've seen how, not just teachers, but the whole educational system seems to ignore students with learning disabilities.

I'm sure a lot of you that have dyslexia have been ignored and have felt the effects of that. Even though its not in my job description or pay scale, what kind of person am I if I continue to treat students with learning disabilites like they don't exist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast