--> International House - Bangkok

Thread: Camp Games

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Camp Games

I know camp season is just getting underway and the toughest thing is finding decent games to play with the kids. I got a few games in the back of my mind, but I do like new games. I found this site, http://www.mycampresources.com and it seems to have a lot of games for kids to play at summer camp, I have bookmarked it and I will use it.

http://www.mycampresources.com/games/human-alphabet/ is the human alphabet game, kind of interesting, at least some good idea.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Camp Games

Thanks! Nice website.

But...would this one work in Thailand??

Strip the Counselor: http://www.mycampresources.com/games...the-counselor/

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sounds like a band camp activity

Maybe do that activity at the commercial college english camp?

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks Whitey. That looks like a good site.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Camp season. What a joke. Give these kids a bloody holiday i say. Camps are just free babysitting where students learn even less than they did during term time (If thats possible) I say forget games altogether, its far too hot anyway. Another useless profit making venture in LOS using the guise of education.

vCash
    Thanks

I completely misunderstood the title of this thread.
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

actually, a lot of parents don't care about the learning side... they just want their kids to have fun... so don't be a meanie like me...
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    I completely misunderstood the title of this thread.
    LOL

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bewildered wanderer
    actually, a lot of parents don't care about the learning side... they just want their kids to have fun... so don't be a meanie like me...
    Camps or regular school. A lot of parents don't care about learning full stop otherwise they'd challenge schools to deliver a proper education and not one based on cheating. Camps are just another lot of disorganised babysitting.

vCash
    Thanks

another big generalisation from peel...got it down to an art really haven't ya mate...

thanks for the links white.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    another big generalisation from peel...got it down to an art really haven't ya mate...

thanks for the links white.
    Listen, I'm not doubting there are some excellent schools here or some people who are trying their best in often trying situations. Nor do I suggest that some summer camps are not worthwhile experiences which strudents enjoy immensely. But from reading the majority of posts on this board, the same issues come up month after month. how many people here truly enjoy their job or have a chance to make a difference. Not many I'd say. I like you work in a good school, work hard but also answer many E.Mails and P.m from teahers here who are screwed over by the system.

I try to challenge the system because I can. i will continue to slate the system here because in the vast majority of schools the conditions for learning English are shit, the methods used for teaching English are shit and the attitude of schools towards helping learning take place are shit. I only want others to challenge the system and not accept what me and you do not put up with.

In my 15 months here i have seen only 1 English camp organised by UNICEF that was enjoyed by everyone, it was planned well, took into account the student levels and was run by teachers who were informed before hand. Of the other 8 or 9 I've seen, volunteers turned up on the day with no idea of ages, levels or what to teach and performed their clown routines.

I do not blame the vast majority of westerners who are trying in this country to help but I do blame Thai admins and principals who make no effort to think primarily about the learning of the students. I will continue to open peoples eyes whilst i am still here. Some people do want to listen and those that do reap the benefit as do their students.

Sorry if this comes accross as sweeping generalisations but the time has come here top stop tickling the problems and for Thais to face facts.

Used Buffalo Dealer Array keekwai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

THIS thread came up in a Google Search .. It's like a dog chasing it's tail! .. so .. I'm giving it a bump 'cos "The Season" is here in Chanthaburi.

There is ONE link to a site with ideas .. No individual poster ideas .. and a bit of bitching.

Anyone with some IDEAS?

EDIT .. I've got a 3 day camp. The first two are sorted. I'm looking for an idea for the 3rd day, an outdoor one .. that involves English usage .. even just a little!

..... and if anyone suggests tired old chestnuts like "Treasure and /or Scavenger Hunts" .. I'll scream ...
    Last edited by keekwai; 7th May 2010 at 16:09.

vCash
    Thanks

Games depend on the ages of the children. I teach N-K3 and some of the ones I have found effective and fun are:

Mother May I? This is a game I played in the states as a child. One person stands at the front of the classroom our outdoor space. The other players stand in a horizontal line, they must ask for permission to take different steps to reach the mother. The 1st person to touch mother wins. Sentence structure is "Mother, may I take XX (baby steps, giant steps, scissor steps, bunny hops, sideway slide, skip, gallog. The "mother/father" would answer "yes you may" or "no you may not".

A game I used for our camp this summer for N&K1& K2 was Twister, another game I played as a child. We made the game together (2 black garbage bags cut open to form a square and taped together). The students would name their favorite color or shape and paint them in 4 rows onto the plastic. We then created a dial. One student would spin the dial, and call out where it stopped. (red hand yellow square, left foot purple heart) etc. The students then put their hands or feet on the shape color called.

Dr. Wok-Wok was a game I used for K3 & G1. One student would turn around and count to 10, while the other students became a human knot linking arms and legs. Then they would say "Hey Mr. Wok-Wok please help us, please help us" and the one student would go and untangle them without breaking the knot. To make it more challenging, they would have to say what they were doing "Khun XX's left arm goes under Khun XXX's right leg.

Final food for thought, flashcards can make excellent games, I use verbs and/or occupations and play charades. You can build in any sentence structure you like!

Hope these help!
    "Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own." -- Nikos Kazantzakis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Working Towards a Better Life
    for Thailand Soi Cats & Dogs

vCash
    Thanks

Hide The Sausage.

Used Buffalo Dealer Array keekwai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

OK you lazy bastards! .. I did a bit more Googling and came up with a few. I pop them in here for anyone else doing a search.

Laundry Basket Relay Race
    You will need:
    2 laundry baskets for each team
    5-10 identical vocabulary objects for each team
    How to Play:
    Divide the group into two or three equal teams.
    Each team lines up behind one laundry basket filled with vocabulary items.
    Place another empty laundry basket several feet behind each team’s line.
    Give the signal to begin.
    The first person in each line removes an object from the basket, shows it to the second person in line, and identifies the object in the target language.
    The second person takes the object, repeats the word, and passes it back.
    When the last player receives the object, he places it in the empty basket, runs to the front of the line, and chooses the next object out the front basket to name and pass back.
    Continue steps 5-7 until every object from the front basket has been transferred to the back basket.
    The first team to finish wins.

Picnic Waiter Race
    You will need:
    Several picnic blankets
    One picnic basket filled with 15 or more plastic foods (use an odd number)
    How to Play:
    Divide the group into two teams.
    Each team chooses a waiter.
    The other members of each team sit on picnic blankets that are scattered around the lawn.
    Give the signal to begin.
    The waiter must go to each member of his team, take a food order, run to the picnic basket to retrieve and deliver it . . . before the other waiter tries to get the same food.
    If the food is already gone, the waiter must return to the same student and take a new order.
    The team with the most food delivered correctly wins.

Steal the Hat
    You will need:
    One hat
    How to Play:
    Divide the group into two teams.
    Count off the players, so that each team has a one, a two, a three, etc.
    Line up the teams so that players are standing shoulder to shoulder, looking across at the other team several feet away.
    Place the hat between the two teams.
    Call off a number in the target language. The two players assigned to that number each try to be the first to grab the hat and return to their line without getting tagged by the other team’s player.
    Keep score and declare a winner once you reach a predetermined number of points.

Steal the Bacon
    You will need:
    5-10 vocabulary items
    How to Play:
    Just like “Steal the Beret”, with one twist . . .
    Instead of a hat, line up the vocabulary items between the two lines of teams.
    Call off a number and name an object.
    Players must “steal” the correct object and return to their line without being tagged.

Greetings Duck, Duck, Goose
    How to Play:
    Sit the students in a circle.
    One player walks around the outside of the circle and taps one other player on the shoulder.
    These two players stand, shake hands, and exchange greetings in the target language.
    After the greetings and introductions, they say “Goodbye” and run in opposite directions. The first to return to the empty space wins.
    The player left standing walks around the circle to choose the next player.

Grammar Baseball
    Create A LOT of questions that you want your students to answer or practice. Or better yet, have them create their own questions.
    Then 1 team "pitches" a question to the batter of the other team.
    If the batter gets the question right, they go to first base. (if you rank the questions in terms of difficulty, you could have singles, doubles, triples and home runs).
    If the batter gets the question wrong, they "strike out".
    To make this more active and physical, if the batter gets the question right, the pitcher pitches the ball to the batter and the batter gets a chance to kick the ball and try to get to first base. If the batter gets the question wrong, they strike out.