International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discipline!!

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Discipline!!

The most important thing with class room behavoiur management id " If it is not working then stop doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by scribble
    How do you normally control the trouble makers?
    If they are making a silly noise I get them to stand in front of the clas and make the noise untill they feel stupid.

If a kid parrots me I say very slowly I AM A BUFFALO when the kid repeats it the class roars laughing at them ..Usualy stops them

Quote Originally Posted by zehner
    yes sir!! gotta mark your territory...alpha males rule
    No way am I going to pee in the class room ( woof)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbuku
    The best technique I have found is to humiliate the student in front of their peers.
    Ritualised public humiliation is something they understand very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    'alex ferguson hairdryer' trick
    Please tell me more Sir
    My Behaviour is a function of my experience .

My Personality is a composite of my behaviour patterns,of my

traits,adjustments and the roles that I play.

I act accordingly to the way I see things

:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by re_fuse
    If they are making a silly noise I get them to stand in front of the clas and make the noise untill they feel stupid. If a kid parrots me I say very slowly I AM A BUFFALO when the kid repeats it the class roars laughing at them ..Usualy stops them
    Nice one!

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

When I was teaching a and m2 class of more than 40, I had particulary disruptive group of boys, whom I had warned 2 times to stop. The third time they were presented with an option to go see the assistant principle or sing and dance the 'i'm a little teapot' song at the front of the room. I really wish I had videod that...
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

scribble
    I'm a bit pissed off with myself. I normally keep a cool head in the face off a mocking adolecent but yesterday proved different. First time I'd taught this particular M1 class and I was giving a light hearted introduction, when one of the big bastards at the back( yeh, you know the ones) started making, sort of 'whoop' ing noises behind his hand. I warned him once but he carried on. Basically, I steamed up to him, with a look that must have read - " i will now damage you, boy" and gave him a verbal pasting, top of my voice. Well, it worked, not a peep out of the poor sod (until I prompted him) for the rest of the lesson.

Out of order?

How do you normally control the trouble makers?

Cheers.

scribble,

This subject was talked about awhile back. It may be of some help.

http://ajarnforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=12719

vCash
    Thanks

Got pissed off today with an M3 girl. Ended up briefly shouting at her. I was putting people in 2's for a roleplay, and this one girl just refused to be put into a group, and got all whiney that she didn't want to move from the group she was sitting in (a group of 3) ....I realise that this can happen when it's a boy-girl situation, but this was a girl girl situation, and they seemed otherwise perfectly aimiable.

I feel that with M3 you have to commence the year as a bit of an arsehole, fairly regimented, constantly having to keep the noise down, then loosen up as the year goes on with the classes that have responded to it.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

LDMA
    Got pissed off today with an M3 girl. Ended up briefly shouting at her. I was putting people in 2's for a roleplay, and this one girl just refused to be put into a group, and got all whiney that she didn't want to move from the group she was sitting in (a group of 3) ....I realise that this can happen when it's a boy-girl situation, but this was a girl girl situation, and they seemed otherwise perfectly aimiable.
    Yeah that is strange about the girl not wanting to move from her group. I have also made a seating arrangement to have boys then girls sitting together in a group of six. They have a really hard time doing the pair work with the boys. But, it's starting to work.

I implemented a incentive program using the Passport from;

http://genkienglish.net/Passport.htm

I also give group stickers, so if they work well as a group, and participate they get a group sticker. At the end of the month, whatever group has the most stickers gets a prize.. which is usually souvenirs sent to me from Canada.

Individual stickers can be earned for participating mostly. They need as much encouragement as they can get to just try and speak English.

But, I did definitely start the year with rules, that are even translated into Hangul. Repeating the rules consistently, also helps in reinforcing them. I have a card system where I use orange, yellow, and red card for warnings if they are misbehaving. They have different meanings. First warning, second warning, they have to stand in the back of the class for 3 minutes, and red card, means talking to their homeroom teacher who may call their parents. Overall, the students are pretty good in my school, with the odd problem, which is quickly acted on. My co-teacher who is male also helps alot with discipline and translation.

vCash
    Thanks

I'm sooooooooooo glad I only teach P1-4!

BIG respect to all of you who teach M.

A lousy and daring fellow Array Bubba's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Shouting should be your last resort, or you may find that they get used to your shouting.
    This is good advice. Try not to shout - ever, but you still have to establish some sort of presence in the classroom. So that means you have to keep the students looking at you for reasons other than you are making angry noises.

I haven't shouted in over two years and I don't really have discipline problems, but then agan I teach 15-18 year olds so maybe its a bit different.
    Nuts In A Blender

vCash
    Thanks

Ah but there's speaking loudly and there's shouting. If you can project a genial loud voice most of the time and a pissed off shout for emergencies, I think the students are able to detect the change in vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioPower
    I'm sooooooooooo glad I only teach P1-4!
    I heard that P4 have some of the worst behavioural problems...it's the Prathom version of M3...

vCash
    Thanks

personally, i wouldnt be too big on the "healing" aspect of that kind of discipline. if you did it- or do it seldomly- then do it with authority and DONT HAVE ANY REGRETS about it.

if you said really offensive things, thats completely different. but in large part, dont apoogize, nor act like your kinda apologizing by trying to create a "group closure on it".

if you do something that you think is right, you owe no one an apology. youre in thailand dude, and what you did IS PAR FOR THE COURSE here. you dont need a post-whoopin therapy session- that makes you look weak. or worse- it makes you look like you know that you were out of control- and being out of control in this place is a face-losing thing mak mak.

if you feel bad, then learn from it internally. if the kid hates you, so be it. he now knows that acting like that will provoke X behaviors from you. the others understand that and will kow tow in line.

but we here dont know what you said, and thats simply the fact. but if its what i suspect, then youre doing ok man. just dont let those outbursts happen often. once a year, or in the ballpark is tolerable IMHO.

if you do it too much:

-youre an asshole teacher
    -kids will lose respect for you, and making them have intrinsic motivation to communcate will be a chore from thenceforth
    -they will know what buttons to push with you, and its all over then mate
    -you will get your dander up more than it needs to be. for crickey's sake, its a kid

but a poster said it best- make them move to the front. or one i heard of- make them stand against the wall and hold a piece of paper to the wall with their nose hey man, its asia. thats the punishment de jour here.

keep it up and yen yen homie

'Scots Wha Hae' - RIP Array ruaraidh's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

i usually send troublemakers out the room to sit in the corridor.. they don't like that especially when Thai teachers pass, see the kid and ask me why they are there... i teach P6 to M3 and do not have much trouble... my M1 class i had as P6 last year, i had a wee chat with them last week about now being in Mathayom and acting as adults and i've had no trouble with them at all.. i work 75% of my classes without a Thai assistant and so far (just started my third year at this school) i've managed without losing the rag... i reckon if you win their respect and confidence then you should be relatively trouble free...
    i agree with other posters that embarrassing the kids in front of their peers is more effective than shouting at them where you are more likely to embarrass yourself..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

vCash
    Thanks

This sounds remarkably like an incident that happened to me a few years back - M1 class, first day of term, big kid with an even bigger mouth. I handled it by sending the boy out the class. When he was let back in i made him sit at the front by himself, which is where he remained for every subsequent lesson for a few weeks after.
    I never heard a peep out of him for the rest of the year, so job well done if you ask me.
    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I think you need a load of different modes for the class. I try to never lose my temper and if i feel angry or have blatant disrepect i open the door and ask a child to leave calmly. Before the child gets back I'll have a word. Thankfully the other kids have good respect and the misbehaviing child's soon realises that his mates respect me. thai kids are in general well behaved but we often don't know there homelife. Maybe a relative has died that day and we only here about it later. for me every kids entitled to a wobbly once a year but more than once then I'm going to deal with it.

to the O.P. we are only human, we're not perfect. sounds like you handled it o.k

vCash
    Thanks

Well we all loose it a bit.. get over it.. Use a bit of guilt... Bring the youngster to the front of the class.. focus the attention on him..

As much as it feels good to " Get in out" the Verbal Shotgun.. at times is useless.. i know.. Done it.. I mean don't give in to the poor form...

Find another way.. to express your outrage.. in the end your Blood Pressure will reduce..

Carry on.. Best wishes..

vCash
    Thanks

Exploding on a student does work to keep them in line. You need to be fully in control of your emotions when doing it though and do not do it often or it will have no effect. I actually *plan* to lose it every now and then just as a reminder.....(a) I haven't gone soft and....(b) I'm still the boss of the classroom. Afterwards it's forgetten about, grudges are never held...and we get back to normal.

At the end of the day you gotta find your own style ...you can't be somebody else in the classroom......and whatever gets the job done for you....is the right method.
    Last edited by My_Kow_Lope; 24th May 2007 at 18:12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12