International House - Bangkok
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: discipline

vCash
    Thanks

Re: discipline

Quote Originally Posted by zehner View Post
    nope. hitting kids isn't allowed.
    It's not "allowed" at my school either... in much the same way that prostitution isn't allowed in Thailand.

Established User Array Radical Energy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Radical Energy (discipline)
    I've also seen them use physical abuse quite a few times and most of it is a beating upside the head or with a blunt object such as a ruler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor Ling View Post
    If my kid went to school here, and any teacher did that, that teacher would very soon be feeling my fist slamming into his / her face.
    What if the Teacher was a woman? And what if you saw other Thai Teachers you liked do that to students, especially the troublemakers? All of the other Teachers turned a blind eye and nothing was ever said. This kind of stuff never ever happened in my schools while I was growing up. Our Teachers were strict, but they never abused students like what I've seen in Thailand. And I've seen plenty of parents too who beat their kids very hard upside the head while in public on school property.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizara View Post
    It's not "allowed" at my school either...
    well if you're implying that it's the same in mine you'd be wrong.

i've never hit a kid and would never do so. i had some teachers in my primary school who hit me and they were assholes. one guy lifted me off the ground and smacked me on the face a few times because i accidentally knocked over a papier mache model. he also literally kicked another student over 2 rows of desks once. last time i heard he was still teaching at home too

that's not the way a real teacher should approach the job.

vCash
    Thanks

I didn't say it was. I'm saying it's how it often happens in Asia.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Energy View Post
    I've seen plenty of parents too who beat their kids very hard upside the head while in public on school property.
    so? just shows that their are plenty of parents doing a great job of fucking their kids up

vCash
    Thanks

What if the Teacher was a woman?
    Then I'd let her know what it felt like for a child to be hit by someone bigger and stronger than him / her (I was imagining my kid at Pratom level).

Shoulda pointed that out. Though it'd be equally wrong for a female teacher to hitt a Mathayom student stronger than her (with the assumption that social convention would prevent that student from striking back).

Only excuse for a teacher to use force is in self-defence / defence of her students.

Chai mai?
    Last edited by Lor Ling; 11th September 2008 at 19:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    When the great lord passes the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts

Established User Array Radical Energy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Radical Energy (discipline)
    What if the Teacher was a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Lor Ling View Post
    Then I'd let her know what it felt like for a child to be hit by someone bigger and stronger than him / her (I was imagining my kid at Pratom level).

Shoulda pointed that out. Though it'd be equally wrong for a female teacher to hitt a Mathayom student stronger than her (with the assumption that social convention would prevent that student from striking back).

Only excuse for a teacher to use force is in self-defence / defence of her students.

Chai mai?
    Chances are good that she already knows what it feels like as she was probably in an even more violent school setting when she was growing up. I've had a large number of Thais (and long-term expats) who've discussed with me about how much teachers use to beat students in school and how much things have changed in this regard.

Violence: it's a vicious cycle (they say). When a child is raised with violence he/she has a tendency to practice what he/she was taught when they become an adult. Keeping this in mind, I think it's a good idea to probe a prospective teacher about his/her upbringing. Were you ever abused by a teacher/teacher when you were in school? Did you ever see this when you were a student? What was your homelife like as a child? Perhaps it seems like a violation of privacy, but they ask such questions that violate our privacy anyway that have no bearing whatsoever on our job performance (i.e. last salary, marital status and so on).

vCash
    Thanks

There's no excuse for violence.

My father was a violent man. I'm not.

I make my own decisions, and live my own life.

We could all act like wankers and blame someone!

vCash
    Thanks

What was your homelife like as a child? Perhaps it seems like a violation of privacy
    i'd tell you to fuck off and mind your own business. as nicely as possible of course

Senior Member Array Piece Train's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timerbee View Post
    how do you keep your class in line?
    I like to ask them to please be quiet, and if that doesn't work, I add a "na krap." All in Thai, of course.
    Last edited by Piece Train; 14th December 2008 at 20:40. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Illegal aliens will make you pay...legal aliens can get you paid.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

GREEN

Established User Array martyboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The great length of this thread suggests there is not a universally prescribed structured disciplinary procedure at Thai schools. When I was at school they used a long thick cane not a ruler, two strokes on each hand. The swish of that cane and the smack sound frightened the life out of me. It frightened the shit out of 99.9% of kids so they behaved. The classrooms were peaceful like a church. It was the same 6-8 kids in a school of about 500 who were regularly thrashed. It didn't affect them, they didn't cry or rarely even winced but it kept everyone else in line. I hated the regularity of the thrashings but notwithstanding that I still think a caning should be the ultimate sanction and carried out by the Head, not other teachers. I can't imagine what it must be like to teach today in a rough inner city school. I have the greatest respect for those teachers.

vCash
    Thanks

^ Do you feel that the children's potential was maximised Marty?

Did they get to express themselves at all?

Or maybe that doesn't matter?

What sort of 'peace like a church' was it if it was a 'peace' that resulted from the children being scared of a beating?

If the 'peace like a church' was a result of the threat of beatings then what does that say about the church?

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy View Post
    I can't imagine what it must be like to teach today in a rough inner city school. I have the greatest respect for those teachers.
    More or less respect than you had for your own teachers?
    Last edited by Cyrille; 12th September 2008 at 01:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    You can and should wait for everyone to be quiet. If 2 people are talking thats too who when it comes to doing anything haven't got a clue what to do. what do they then do, they disrupt your class or copy others and disrupt their learning.

Its not enough just to occupy kids, you have to train them to listen first to you and then each others. Kids at my school shout and scream in Thai classes and even at the principal but in my class they talk in normal voices. I don't start if any kid is talking because later the problems start. In classes of 60 i'm the same. Start off training young kids with fun activities. Stick your fun activity on the board and wait. Shouting over kids is futile and leads to stress, illness and the whats the point attitude.

Dickheads who can't work it out get kicked out. Kids who don't want to do their work at the bare minumum are going to sit down and not speak when I am. then they can stay. 2 warnings and you're out. Consistency is the key. If I wanted to be driven insane I'd go back home and teach again.
    Finally some useful advice on this thread. My classes vary so much (in age - 12 to 18 - in English level, and in behaviour) that I really can't take a 'consistant' approach from class to class. But you're so right about training them to pay attention to the teacher. Indeed, I think that this is more important in a lesson that isn't teacher-centred than one that is, because if an activity is highly student-centred and the student hasn't paid attention to instructions it will be a complete waste of time, for him and perhaps his group.

But sometimes shouting over them works to a point (I have a very loud teaching voice).

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My classes are teacher-centered. That's how it works when your students can't count past 10 or name more than eight animals. If my classes were student-centered we'd be playing hammer-paper-scissors all period.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast