International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Students Talking in Class

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Problems with Students Talking in Class

How do you deal with students who make a lot of noise in class while you're teaching?

A. Shoot them
    B. Strangle them
    C. Cut off their tongues
    D. All of the above

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

1. Think about the TEFL course you took. Was there a unit on classroom management?
    2. Give them the stare of death.
    3. Threaten to tap them on the top of their head.
    4. Give them the universal 'shush' sign.
    5. Do your best not to teach that very nasty English curse, "Shut up!" Then, when you lose your temper, they'll know you're really mad.
    6. Have a penalty point system. When the kid's too noisy, give him a point.
    7. Walk back to where he is. See if he's done his work. Tell him to do his work.
    8. If half the class is being noisy, different story.
    A. Have something like a textbook that you can slap on the desk or on the chalkboard, really hard and really loud. Gets their attention.
    B. Show them that when they're loud, they get work instead of games.
    9. If there's a helpful Thai teacher who speaks nit noi English, ask her.

That's all I can think of during insomnia. It's a great question, just what we need in the staffroom and classroom threads. Maybe it was covered before, but it's good to review.

vCash
    Thanks

instill a classroom culture where you are the boss. if you want quiet, you get quiet. i'm afraid power of personality is often the only way to do this when you know the thai administration is not going to back you up on discipline matters.

i went into the classroom ready to be the cool, well-liked, liberal, pro-creative, pro-individualistic teacher i always wanted. in thailand, this is a one way trip to mental breakdown! very quickly became a sergeant-major in the classroom, take no shit, rule with a rod of iron and put up with no nonsense.

it's hard work for sure, and once you've instilled this culture you can loosen up a bit - occasionaly. but it really is for their own good. you can't learn in a classroom without a good classroom atmosphere and i'm afraid this means listening to me and not goofing around and yapping about the price of meat balls to your mates.

:smile:

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

Right on 9/11 from 9/11 Array Kerux's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I lay down a few rules during the first class, very few. One of them is no talking while someone else is talking, (to the class) student or teacher, because it's rude.

Also, I gain the student's respect and they usually don't talk in class, at least not so that it disrupts the class.

And finally, in our classess the students are talking (speaking English) most of the time anyway.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerux
    ...I gain the student's respect and they usually don't talk in class, at least not so that it disrupts the class...
    when thai disciplinary back-up is nil. this is the only way to achieve good classroom discipline.

vCash
    Thanks

Here's a good way to instill silence in a class of 58 m2's.

Stress positions. One hand up, one on the mouth in a shush position.

Have all students do it. Then try counting down from 10. If one person speaks point them out and restart the countdown. When you are able to do a complete countdown from ten in absolute silence allow them to put their hands down. If the then start talking again, back up go the hands.....

5 minutes spent doing this initially will reap rewards later.
    I had a noisy m2 class last week who initially wouldn't shut up, but were responding instantly to a shush sign by the end of the lesson
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Problems with Students Talking in Class

Quote Originally Posted by jaroenr
    How do you deal with students who make a lot of noise in class while you're teaching?
    One point worth noting is that myself and many of us in EFL didn't study Education at uni. we have never formally studied:

Classroom Management.

In B.Ed program students take a three month course on classroom management.

With a non-ed. B.A. and a CELTA/TEFL we learned by talking to each other, reading, and sharing experiences and different mean to deal with classroom management.

For any TEFL/CELTA programs out there, it would be helpful to include this.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Normally, I speak quite loudly. But, sometimes I have to teach in a big laboratory. The students in the back might not hear me if there is too much talking going on.

I bought a PA system with 4500 Watt speakers.

That should do it. We'll see next week. I just think it is a waste of my time and class time to tell one or two students to be quiet, and the lesson loses its continuity. I just teach louder. If it doesn't work, I'll try the above. I can always make them stand up and study that way; let's hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks for the advice.

Right on 9/11 from 9/11 Array Kerux's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I bought a PA system with 4500 Watt speakers.
    I hope you didn't pay for it. If you did

Senior Member Array dongintheklong's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Take the whole class outside, lock the door, and sit down back inside with a good book. Enjoy!
    banging the gong...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I wouldn't spend myown money on speakers that stay in one classroom all the time (unless I had the only key to the room), or which I had to lug around when I needed to use them. My last school had those cheesy $25 speaker/amplifiers with the $9 microphone. Piece of actually. But when the kids got too noisy, instead of shouting, I just turned up the volume full force and put the microphone in front of the speaker and got instant feedback. It worked.

When my inherited classes got too noisy, I dismissed them too early. By 'inherited,' I mean they weren't my assigned class, thire regular teacher disappeared, and she left me with a rowdy class of more than 50 M2 or M2. By 'too early' I mean more than 10 minutes. It wasn't my job to teach Thai children to respect an ajarn, so they could roam wildly around the campus during class time. When students refuse to be educated, it ain't my job to merely babysit kids who are acting half their age.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

vCash
    Thanks

exactly one year ago this was me
    i went into the classroom ready to be the cool, well-liked, liberal, pro-creative, pro-individualistic teacher i always wanted. in thailand, this is a one way trip to mental breakdown!

One year later, this is now me
    a sergeant-major in the classroom, take no doodoo, rule with a rod of iron and put up with no nonsense.

There is some fantastic advice here on Ajarn.com and in my time of need (last year) i found some real help here.
    The rod of iron i use is in fact a 12 inch steel ruler. I slam it down on the desk of offending chatterboxes. I take no sh*t anymore. The trick is to jump on ANY infraction of the rules you set. I dont even speak in class if a student is chattering. I hold up my hand and give them my death stare. Their partner usually nudges them and they shut up. Then i continue. My ruler is bent out of shape now from constant whacking on the desk. This is looked upon by the students with awe. They now know not to mess with me..............
    The absolute BEST advice i got last year, (though i didnt know it at the time) was "virtually ditch your lesson plans for the first month, instill fear, punish any infraction of rules by punishing the whole class, after a month, begin teaching". Damm, it works. I now leave ALL my classes in a chilled out frame of mind and i never raise my voice,
    as the other posters said,

it's hard work for sure, and once you've instilled this culture you can loosen up a bit - occasionaly. but it really is for their own good. you can't learn in a classroom without a good classroom atmosphere and i'm afraid this means listening to me and not goofing around and yapping about the price of meat balls to your mates.
    :smile:[/quote]

vCash
    Thanks

Thai academics in an International Conference:

Mobile goes off at high volume;
    Dr. Somchai answers phone at slightly raised volume to drown out the presenter's voice;
    Continues the conversation for a few minutes - blow who is around him.

Thankfully, I did not have a mobile go off during my presentation, or I would have had to stop & request the Session Chairman to instruct all folks to turn their phones down to 'vibrate mode' & to leave the room to take the call...

Honestly, if Dr. Somchai can be this inconsiderate, how on earth do you expect his students to behave?

diaw...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I can always make them stand up and study that way; let's hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks for the advice.
    That's good idea to punish them making a loud noise....
    or give them more homework because of their non-responsibilities in class. They should work at home much more than anyone who concentrates their lessons and have been disturbed.

I dont want to talk too much or waste my time either just to tell what they already known....

Keep going! CHEERS...
    My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will, never, never surrender to what is right.
    <Buddy_cute>

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I wait for silence as long as it takes... then when I have it I let them stew in it uncomfortably for a minute while simulataneously employing peaceblondie's option 2

they learn pretty quickly - I think it is well worth spending those initial lessons instilling your methods and boundaries

you also learn how to develop a presence... and know how to get their attention - and to save on stress (for you and the kids) try to master a technique that avoids making noise or feigning anger (I have a really hot temper so I find if I even fake anger to get their attention within seconds I am genuinely boiling mad... which is utterly pointless) ... so I never shout, clap or bang anything to get attention, but I have a very powerful right eyebrow

with really little kids, turning off the lights and plunging them into gloom is a good way

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast