International House - Bangkok
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 118

Thread: Who is Thailand kidding?

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    22,765
    vCash
    11025000
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked 198 Times in 174 Posts


    Rep Power
    77231

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Getorfmoiland View Post
    Exactly how many generations will it take to bring everyone up to a good enough level so that they can discuss the finer points of Macaulay duration or Black Scholes across the globe? As you were...
    Exactly.

    Nine out of ten people I run into in Songkhla probably have taken compulsary English up to the M3 level.

    I can tell you that had they no it would have been money well saved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Getorfmoiland View Post
    And, at exactly what age are you going to decide this?
    I have no idea.

    I don't have any solutions I'm just recognizing the enormity of the problem.

    I'm also thinking reduced government expendure per capita is probably a pretty good bet.

    You can take the pain now or take it later
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

  2. #47
    Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    3,003
    vCash
    1006
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 58 Times in 35 Posts


    Rep Power
    11756

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra View Post

    Wonderful. You are a great teacher. just what Thailand needs
    Sarcasm at the Ops ridiculous assumptions on the lack of prospects for the children of working class out of towners. Flick the humor switch mate. My wife is a lawyer in BKK, guess what her folks do………………
    Those that want to read whatever they can want all freedoms, but have to understand they can have freedom, but it must be within the law.

  3. #48
    Mexico City Array Guy Mandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,417
    vCash
    666
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 188 Times in 162 Posts


    Rep Power
    45580

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by haltest View Post
    Agreed, the truth is that not everyone is good at languages so why force people to study it who have no aptitude and/or no motivation....
    I was going to argue against this position, as well as Russell's, but then I thought, "This is Thailand. Let's just figure out an ideal curriculum, even if we TEFLers have to cut ourselves out of the picture."

    Let's ditch English and EVERYTHING else in the current Thai curriculum.

    What would make a government affordable, Thai-centric course of study that would benefit Thai children and prepare them for a viable future in their own country? Let's not forget to recommend a maximum class size per grade level either. Scratch English, first of all.

  4. #49
    Silver Surfer Array Chang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,017
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts


    Rep Power
    26385

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Classic-Chassis View Post
    My wife is a lawyer in BKK, guess what her folks do………………
    Pack judges' lunchboxes?
    Migrated

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,481
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    10376

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    I think MONEY is both the true god and king of Thailand. The love of money is why Thailand is one of the most corrupt nations in the world. If the folks who have money speak English, there's the incentive to learn it.
    Thailand is no more corrupt than most countries. It is better hidden and more obscure in other places.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #51
    Senior Member Array Getorfmoiland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    left at 7/11
    Posts
    3,439
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts


    Rep Power
    24847

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    What would make a government affordable, Thai-centric course of study that would benefit Thai children and prepare them for a viable future in their own country? Let's not forget to recommend a maximum class size per grade level either. Scratch English, first of all.
    So, let's just ditch any connection to the rest of the world shall we? That sounds like a mighty fine idea... I'm sorry, but we're not living in the 19th century, Thailand lives off tourism and exports so, who is going to speak to everyone else? Oh, that'll be those that can afford to be taught English, thereby perpetuating and exacerbating the financial divide... And that's a good move? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    I have no idea.

    I don't have any solutions I'm just recognizing the enormity of the problem.

    I'm also thinking reduced government expendure per capita is probably a pretty good bet.

    You can take the pain now or take it later
    Kinda have to disagree with you here. What's best for the future of Thailand, an educated population that takes the country further or an insular one based on an ignorant and, briefly, obedient one? Like it or lump it, English is a major part in global trade and every country has to embrace it or get left behind. IHMO.
    "Always forgive your enemies -- Nothing annoys them so much !"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,481
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    10376

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    I was going to argue against this position, as well as Russell's, but then I thought, "This is Thailand. Let's just figure out an ideal curriculum, even if we TEFLers have to cut ourselves out of the picture."

    Let's ditch English and EVERYTHING else in the current Thai curriculum.

    What would make a government affordable, Thai-centric course of study that would benefit Thai children and prepare them for a viable future in their own country? Let's not forget to recommend a maximum class size per grade level either. Scratch English, first of all.
    How noble! C'mon dude - why do you think that foreigners know better than locals what their students need to learn. As in most countries - employers teach graduates learn what they need to know to do their jobs. For the movers and shakers, there is mover and shaker level of education. Everything is in order.

  8. #53
    Silver Surfer Array Chang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,017
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts


    Rep Power
    26385

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Give a Thai a fish and he'll eat for a day.

    Teach a Thai to fish ....
    and he'll think you're daft because there are plenty of fish at the market.

  9. #54
    Regular User Array chuck_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In Bangkok, at the moment.
    Posts
    718
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Rep Power
    395

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Well, this is a good point to consider for future prospects of getting a job here and living in paradise.

    Now, the current language trend in Asia is first their native language, then a choose between studying English or Chinese.

    Now, the parents will decide mostly what language their child will study. Though on the other side of the coin, you do see more and more university students taken up Chinese as their second language.

    When, I worked in the High schools in Bangkok a number of years another language choice has popped called Korean. Why, Super Junior and Rain is popular among the girls to learn. Call it a trend.
    CharlieX / Abdul Jabaar
    If you really want to reach me, you'll know how.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
    Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
    Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
    Master of the Day of Judgment.
    Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
    Show us the straight way,
    The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.




  10. #55
    Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    3,003
    vCash
    1006
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 58 Times in 35 Posts


    Rep Power
    11756

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chang View Post
    Pack judges' lunchboxes?
    No mate, grow fruit. Farmers in other words. My wife has worked hard, both through uni and in the corporate world. She's still on the way up mate.

  11. #56
    Silver Surfer Array Chang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,017
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts


    Rep Power
    26385

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny larue View Post
    Thailand is no more corrupt than most countries. It is better hidden and more obscure in other places.
    I beg to differ.

    Any new business enterprise here is entirely hampered until Thais have figured out who wants what. The BTS extension is a prime example. You cannot work to a deadline here because the moment you announce the date there will be an army of people looking for ways in which to compromise that deadline if they aren't paid off.

  12. #57
    Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,481
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    10376

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chang View Post
    I beg to differ.

    Any new business enterprise here is entirely hampered until Thais have figured out who wants what. The BTS extension is a prime example. You cannot work to a deadline here because the moment you announce the date there will be an army of people looking for ways in which to compromise that deadline if they aren't paid off.
    And this is different than say - New York? I don't think so.

  13. #58
    Boss Shaggers Club Array 8ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,413
    vCash
    1500
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 179 Times in 126 Posts


    Rep Power
    29579

    Official Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post

    A small chance is better than no chance at all.


    X act ly ,,,,,,,,,,






    wen peel had been here 4 a few months

    he was spoutin,,,"All Thai schools shud b closed"

    direct quote

    he wants to save the Thais from themselves,,,,,,,,,,

    he's so silly sumtimes

    Last edited by 8ball; 19th November 2009 at 10:27.
    I-never-dun-a-ting-rong-in-me-life-m8

  14. #59
    AJ
    AJ is offline
    Established User Array AJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingsbridge (In a World Without End)
    Posts
    384
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    In 5 years here I've met only 5 people who acquired good English from their own hard work and support through Thai education.
    Talking from own experience, I work at a respectable large secondary school. The school has a parent-financed EP. About half of the Thai English teachers there cannot ask even a simple question in English, while the other half of teachers can mutter some incomprehensible sentences with strong accent. (The latter half is close to retirement age, while the other half is in their mid to late twenties).

    On the other hand, in my apartment building most of the staff can speak English fluently - almost all of the staff are Muslim and ethnically Malay; many were born in Pattani in Thailand's South. Also, some of the tenants in my apartment building - wives, etc. of "farang" (e.g. from Sweden) speak English fluently and almost accent-free.
    Last edited by AJ; 19th November 2009 at 10:24.
    "You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater." - Austin Powers

  15. #60
    Hangin' Around Array Cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    18,833
    vCash
    90000
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 169 Times in 142 Posts


    Rep Power
    26744

    Re: Who is Thailand kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Classic-Chassis View Post
    No mate, grow fruit. Farmers in other words. My wife has worked hard, both through uni and in the corporate world. She's still on the way up mate.
    I'm sure that has something to do with something somewhere.

    But I'm damned if I can work out what.

    Anyway, err, well done classic chassis' wife.


    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Also, some of the tenants in my apartment building - wives, etc. of "farang" (e.g. from Sweden) speak English fluently and almost accent-free.
    This some sort of competition to make the most irrelevant observation possible?
    Last edited by Cyrille; 19th November 2009 at 11:41.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •