International House - Bangkok

Thread: Help! Ideas need for M1 teaching demo

vCash
    Thanks

Help! Ideas need for M1 teaching demo

OK to set the scene, I got myself canned at my last uni job. I was stressed out from separating with wife, and missed my son terribly, and I guess something had to give. So one morning when my boss chewed me out over a problem that I felt was of her making I pretty much told her to f*** off and stick her job up her arse. Neither big nor clever of me and hopefully something that I'll never find myself doing again. In my defence I can honestly say that the recent period of my life has been the hardest ever. And that includes the periodic bouts of severe depression from which I've suffered since age 13 and, about 5 years ago, losing both of my parents and arranging my own wedding all within a few months.

So scene set here's the deal. I had an interview with an agency today and they've fixed me up with a teaching demo tomorrow morning with a group of about 30 M1 students. I don't know what to expect of them, level-wise, as I've only ever taught at uni level before. The demo lesson is to last 40-50 minutes and can apparently be about anything (no specific topic was given). That said I imagine there must be some sort of MOE syllabus of topic and expected outcomes / targets for each age group?

So I'd be very grateful if anyone can furnish me with some ideas for a stone-cold killer, rock 'em, sock 'em demo lesson. This is obviously at very short notice but I only got home an hour ago and read the email from the agency inviting me to go along.

Of course it goes without saying (but I will anyway) that there'll be a beer or three in it for anyone who sorts me out and who lives in my neck of the woods (Bangkok) or to whose neck of afore-mentioned woods I may venture at some point. Cheers in advance y'all!

PS, forgot to say, the class is "conversational English" as opposed to Maths, Science or whatever.

PPS, replying to my own thread (sad) as i read though previous potentially useful ones, I've got the following ideas so far :

1) To introduce myself put Ss in teams of 4-6 and one at a time flash up (on OHP?) answers to questions about myself for which the teams have to produce a correct question e.g. "red" - "what is your favourite colour" , "Yes a brother called Jason" - Have you got / Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Teams put up hand to answer.

2) Ss interview partner and then tell class 5 things about him / her (whatever they like) after we've brainstormed questions as a class first

3) A mingling "Find someone who..." activity e.g. a worksheet with "Find someone who has an interesting hobby / who is an only child" etc.

Feedback on these ideas / suggestions of more interesting ones much appreciated!
    Last edited by Lor Ling; 15th December 2009 at 18:16. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    When the great lord passes the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts

No space to add a decent Array you_me_no_savy_talk_talk's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Help! Ideas need for M1 teaching demo

"3 truths and a lie" is a good one. Read out 4 sentences about yourself and have the class guess whether they are true or false. Have them do the same and see if you can catch them out. Make sure one of your sentences is related to football and, if you are not a fan, then pretend to be. It is a sure way to get in with the in crowd of students.

Like you have said, "find somebody who" is usefull and can be dragged out by first eliciting the questions (or simply showing the students how to form them) and by having some sort of presentation - maybe just have a handfull of students tell the class of their findings.

Put up a load of info related to your life on the board (age, date of birth, nationality, favourite sport, etc) and have the class ask you about each one.."is 01/01/01 your date of birth?"

Loosen your tie, roll up your sleeves, lean back on your chair and look relaxed.

Good luck!!

vCash
    Thanks

Cheers for that, longnamed dude - may well incoroprate an idea or two either tomorrow or during another lesson.

Other suggestions gratefully accepted!
    Last edited by Lor Ling; 15th December 2009 at 18:59.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Q and A's may be a good option -

Give students a blank sheet and get them to draw a picture of themselves in the middle. Branch off these questions from there on.

My name is .........
    I come from ..........
    I am ........... years old
    My address is ..........
    My telephone number is .......
    I live in ..........
    I've got .........sisters and .......... brothers
    My mum is a ............ and my dad is a ...........
    I've got .........pet(s) Its/Their names(s) are..........
    I'm good at .........
    I'm bad at ........
    My favourite food/sport/place/computer game/football team/group/singer/subject at school is ...........
    My friends are called ........
    I love/hate ........

Good luck mate.
    Last edited by William money; 15th December 2009 at 18:57.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William money View Post
    Good luck mate.
    Cheers, I may need it (a bit short of money right now otherwise I'd slide some under the appropriate table)

vCash
    Thanks

Take ur shirt off brotha

then ther'll b plenty of quezzies

wot a perfek warmer

I-never-dun-a-ting-rong-in-me-life-m8