International House - Bangkok

Thread: Ideas for teaching 'have to/has to'.

vCash
    Thanks

Ideas for teaching 'have to/has to'.

Hola everyone. Got a pre-DELTA observation tomorrow and I can not drag myself round to do the lesson plan.

As you can see from the title above, it's a reasonably low-level class but they're quite strong and they'll grasp the actual concept within minutes. My problem is that I just can't settle on follow-up activities that will show a bit of imagination to our friends at Cambridge.

Anybody have any good ones?
    Samak- "Westerners have a saying, 'Look at both sides of the coin', but Westerners only look at one side, Myanmar is a Buddhist country. Myanmar's leaders meditate. They say the country lives in peace. We have three neighbours: Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. We use their resources, all three of them. If we have this great relationship, why should we pick on them?....They (the leaders) found new gas resources. I negotiated with them so we can sign contracts."

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Ideas for teaching 'have to/has to'.

act out the singular and plural aspect. He, she, and it with students and something very funny. Then the plural forms in the same way. Try to make it into a chant or a game to confuse them. In the end if you can get across the idea of one in singular. Anymore than that is plural. Act it all out. Then they can see, hear, and experience what is happening.

Use a variety of fun verbs that fit the context of the lesson and joke you are heading for.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    act out the singular and plural aspect. He, she, and it with students and something very funny. Then the plural forms in the same way. Try to make it into a chant or a game to confuse them. In the end if you can get across the idea of one in singular. Anymore than that is plural. Act it all out. Then they can see, hear, and experience what is happening.

Use a variety of fun verbs that fit the context of the lesson and joke you are heading for.

Can't do that. Tried a bit of acting a couple of weeks back and the veiled girls wouldn't get involved. They said it was contrary to their religious beliefs to act with men. It may actually have been an excuse for their shyness, but unfortunately it will have to be off limits for my obs.

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Split the class into uneven groups, single students and pairs. Prepare cards with an arrow and a verb phrase (or picture).

Example

Card with arrow towards individual student + go shopping ==> S forms 'I have to go shopping'

Card with arrow from individual student, toward pair (T indicates pair) + do homework ==> S froms 'They have to do homework'

Card with arrow from (prior indicated) pair to individual male S, + go swimming ==> Ss form ' He has to go swimming'

ad nauseum...

Make follow-up activity w/s with picture (m/f/group) +arrow to picture (m/f/group) + verb.
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Established User Array Sanitysub's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

ONLY an idea: Tell your students that the floor is ablaze and (a game) with the use of a hoola hoop/similar you may make the floor "safe" as the hoop moves along the floor (with you IN it each time to make that area of floor safe.) "I HAVE TO move towards the door" - " I HAVE TO move nearer" etc. Invite a more confident student to join you - "WE HAVE TO..." etc. THEN invite the confident student to repeat by him/her self - "HE/SHE HAS TO..." JUST an idea on the basis that you HAVE a confident student to help...

S.
    I read it all, every word, and I still don't understand a thing. Travis

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitysub View Post
    ONLY an idea: Tell your students that the floor is ablaze and (a game) with the use of a hoola hoop/similar you may make the floor "safe" as the hoop moves along the floor (with you IN it each time to make that area of floor safe.) "I HAVE TO move towards the door" - " I HAVE TO move nearer" etc. Invite a more confident student to join you - "WE HAVE TO..." etc. THEN invite the confident student to repeat by him/her self - "HE/SHE HAS TO..." JUST an idea on the basis that you HAVE a confident student to help...

S.
    Cheers bet, sanity sub. Put it back to Wednesday now so have time to consider. Will probably go with one of those.

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

How about a board game with a pronoun and a verb (+ funny picture) in each square? If they use the correct form of have to make a sentence they stay in the square but if they fail they go back.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe get the pronoun/subject from one of a a set of cards they turn over after moving their counter. You can boost their vocab with the verb/object as well.

Good luck.
    Last edited by tropic of cancer; 20th December 2009 at 22:07.

vCash
    Thanks

Ended up using something from the Teacher's Book. The first part was forming questions and the 2nd part was role playing and responding to the questions according to your card. It was pitched at Pre-Int but it was a difficult activity to set up and arrange. I set it up in stages and, fortunately, it went well.

I did warn my class beforehand that their compliance in this lesson was crucial, and that anyone stepping out of line could well be on the receiving end of a couple of kicks to the bollox .