International House - Bangkok
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discipline problems with Leuk Kreungs

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Discipline problems with Leuk Kreungs

These comments that so many boys are problems to me is weird. I have been here 14 months and maybe taught 4 boys out of 500 who have been a mild problem. I don't think Thai parents are all that bad. Discipline if a joint effort between parents and school. Where schools ignore low level behaviour and allow cheating, copying and laziness problems will occur with any children in any country. My school challenges behaviour with positive schemes, fun time on Friday afternoon, whole class reward schemes. i teach 4 students who have Ferrang fathers. they are all beautifully behaved. the point of these kids being bored is very relevant but then it is the parents duty to find a school that will challenge their children. In a everyone does the same activity culture its not suprising that children who are bi lingual are bored. I think though its unfair to say that parents are crap here, just a different way of parenting. In schools in England many inner cities school are multicultural and everyone exists in harmony. Inner city schools often have poor parents and children have far more troubled homelifes. Kids who are bored and dont have guidance will often give the I dont give a shit attitude.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I have been in Thailand six years. My daughter is 11 and has had five years in an up country school. She is half Thai half Australian but culturally she is 80% Thai. She has built a reputation amongst her teachers as being extremely well behaved and most of all respectful. I think most people in this forum have forgotten what the behavior of kids in western societies is like especially at school. There is no way I would want to teach in a school in any western country. Back to my daughter, we have now moved from the bush down to Bangkok and she has started at a new private school here. She is in the normal program not IP. She has commented to me about the lack of respect shown towards teachers here and about the bad behavior of all the kids compared to her old bush school.

I think it's a matter of the western influence again changing Thai society. Up country where things are still traditional Thai the kids are great, down here in the big smoke where it is so weternised and traditional Thai culture is gone the kids are rotten little shits.

With krung krung kids I think a lot has to do with which culture they accept as theirs. My daughter has accepted Thai culture as being a part of her life so fits in to the scheme of things well.

What goes on in Bangkok is NOT a reflextion of Thai society. Bangkokians have lost their traditional Thainess and become who knows what ????

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajarnoz
    I have been in Thailand six years. My daughter is 11 and has had five years in an up country school. She is half Thai half Australian but culturally she is 80% Thai. She has built a reputation amongst her teachers as being extremely well behaved and most of all respectful. I think most people in this forum have forgotten what the behavior of kids in western societies is like especially at school. There is no way I would want to teach in a school in any western country. Back to my daughter, we have now moved from the bush down to Bangkok and she has started at a new private school here. She is in the normal program not IP. She has commented to me about the lack of respect shown towards teachers here and about the bad behavior of all the kids compared to her old bush school.

I think it's a matter of the western influence again changing Thai society. Up country where things are still traditional Thai the kids are great, down here in the big smoke where it is so weternised and traditional Thai culture is gone the kids are rotten little shits.

With krung krung kids I think a lot has to do with which culture they accept as theirs. My daughter has accepted Thai culture as being a part of her life so fits in to the scheme of things well.

What goes on in Bangkok is NOT a reflextion of Thai society. Bangkokians have lost their traditional Thainess and become who knows what ????
    My experience exactly. bangok seem sto be making the same mistakes as the West. poor parential control, spoiling kids so they lose respect for authority. In Isaan kids are naive friendly and happy. As a parent you can control your childs experiences to some extent and you are their role model. do your job.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Not to change the topic and all, but in a related note, what about Thai students that have gone abroad for a year and have no come back to their Thai school? I have a few of them and they understand that their Thai teachers speak English horribly. What are they to do after being abroad? What do you do with students that have realized that the education system in Thailand is failing them?

Oops, sorry, I didn't notice that this thread was so old.
    It's like I'm speaking a foreign language or something...

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Umbuku View Post
    I'm not sure if this should be in the staffroom or here.
    I have been working as a teacher here for five years now. I have noticed in this time a lot of discipline problems from Leuk Kreung students, especially the boys. As a father of a future male Leuk Kreung student I was wondering if anyone had formed this same opinion. That Leuk Kreung boys are generally more boisterous and a large number of them have authority figure problems.
    I have also noted that these authority figure problems are worse when the boy is dealing with a Thai teacher. Any thoughts?
    Google disipline "reasons for attention seeking" there is over 20 reasons on the list ..knowing where your students are comming from will enable you to cut them off at the pass

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Thankfully I only teach adults now.
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

vCash
    Thanks

^ If you say so
    My Behaviour is a function of my experience .

My Personality is a composite of my behaviour patterns,of my

traits,adjustments and the roles that I play.

I act accordingly to the way I see things

:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

But there's plenty of half-arsed bastards in need of a lesson.

vCash
    Thanks

Highly flammable playground skulking dirtbox bandits

vCash
    Thanks

The comment that the Leuk Kreungs are socially Thai makes sense to me. It seems to me that they in general have a higher standard of living than the 100% Thai and are a little more spoiled. At my school it seems the Thai-Chinese, Filipino, South Korean and Indian students as a whole are more academically motivated than the Thai or half Thais. It's a curious pulse point when the foreigners are kicking ass even in Thai language.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123