--> International House - Bangkok

Thread: Few handy tips would be nice.

vCash
    Thanks

Few handy tips would be nice.

HI, me again.

I've settled into my job in the sticks now and I have brilliant classes and then I have classes well, let's just say I want to pull my hairs out by the end.

Anyway, I've been asked by the director to make classes fun and simple (the level of English in the students here is extremely low in comparison to what I've previously taught) which is what I try to do when the classes willing to learn, which is I would say 80% of the time. I have been told I can teach what I like and I do not have to give any homework. Oddly enough the school seems to be very happy with me. (although I think that may be more to do with the fact that the kids love more than my teaching ability.

What I would like to know is if I'm am doing things right as I'm still a newbie and sometimes wondering if I'm actually teaching effectively. I usually walk into any lesson with a goal and that usually involves having them learn a model question and then the model sentence in response (I do take some lessons to increase vocab, usually using songs.) I choose a theme to base this around and try to make it as fun as possible whether it be by integrating games or songs to reinforce what I'm teaching. I have no syllabus so everything is basically what I think is suitable and I have not had much experience in effectively sequencing my lessons.

I would just like a little feedback on whether what I am teaching is suitable and if anyone has a few suggestions on games I can use for P1 2 and 3.

Thanks in advanced.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I've been asked by the director to make classes fun and simple
    I personally think it's one of the most depressing things you can hear a Thai director say. All the kids care about is fun! now get in there and clown around like there's no tomorrow.

vCash
    Thanks

lol, I was given a brief pretty useless booklet from my agency for idea on what to teach every week had songs and games in it. Apparently the reason for them wanting fun is the previous teacher (who were Dutch and Italian) were "too serious".

vCash
    Thanks

Yep, get the white monkey to sing and dance, the parents will pay the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you can't say something nice about someone, shut the f*k up
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Regular User Array The Quiet American's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

tip 1 : get out of the stix
    tip 2 : play more music , more class singing
    tip 3 : "the school seems to be very happy with me" ; this is a really bad sign

vCash
    Thanks

I'm always amazed - these schools hire people who don't know what they're doing, then tell them to do it better...

Actually they should just stump up enough money to attract a teacher that can do it, or they should just give up. The stress they put people through is just too much.

It is NOT unreasonable to blame students who will simply not learn, however if you cannot confidently answer a question about your lessons being fun enough or not, then it seems you don't really know how it works anyway.

Personally I'd simply ask the director for specific advice - I'd say 'I don't understand, what kind of activities are you talking about? Can you help?' and get some lesson plans drawn up by the school for me to follow.

If they can't help, then it seems they don't know what they're doing either.
    ~The beginning is the word and the end is silence.
    And in between are all the stories. This is one of mine~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben2talk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

well, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing even if I am a noobie the kids are responsive most of the time and in the last review it would seem most of the kids (I have 40-50 kids a class) absorbed 80% of what was taught. God knows what the hell the previous teacher were teaching them as the majority of them don't even know how to spell their own name in English. All I meant by "when the kids aren't willing to learn" is that when they aren't getting through a lesson and having most of the children learn something can be difficult to say the least

I asked some of my kids "in Thai" what their previous teach was like, I asked my p3's so I would get a better answer the answer I got was "Ta loong" I understand what that means and I asked them in what respect but all I got was mumbles and no real answer, that is a little worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet American View Post
    tip 3 : "the school seems to be very happy with me" ; this is a really bad sign
    well not sure what you mean by that, the school hasn't directly told me they are happy with me they have told the agency who have then told me that "they are very happy with me and think I'm a good teacher". Why would them seeming to be very happy with me be a bad thing?

Also how much Thai should be used in classes with kids this age? baring in mind their English proficiency is extremely low and this doesn't include when I am trying to sort out squabble or find out what is wrong with a child (who hit who etc) because I always use Thai then as it's impossible to sort anything out in English.
    Last edited by Rabid rabbit; 29th June 2011 at 12:34.