International House - Bangkok

Thread: Reading "ideas" needed

Radman Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Reading "ideas" needed

Help !!!

I need some good ideas for teaching reading to 10 - 14 yr olds.
    Yes,the kids have the books,and most are advanced speakers,but I still feel the same old questions about the books is just not doing it for them,or for me.
    I want to excite the kids,get them enjoying their reading period more,and looking forward to it...
    I need some good warm ups,class ideas,styles,methods of teaching story books.
    The 2 they are reading now are "Matilda" and "White Fang"

Thanks to all in advance...

Radman
    The really important thing in life is not to capitalize on your gains.Any fool can do that...
    The really important thing is to profit on your losses.This requires intelligence...
    It makes the difference between a person of intelligence and a fool.......
    A smart man learns from his mistakes...
    A wise man learns from others mistakes.......

vCash
    Thanks

'charlie and the chocolate factory' might be a good one right now...

lot's of roald dahl stuff would be good, 'the twits' is very easy and great fun. 'georges marlvelous medicine'.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Runway Models Gone Bad. My Pet Goat.

Junior Classics.

Radman Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks Jonny..that's helpful...I'll be sure to ask my boss to observe my classes during these...I'm sure these would be quite helpful for me in continuing my contract...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

word by word the kids write a story.ie: they narrate a story and you put it on the board. one lesson a week. copy it down every lesson. (this is more about grammar at this stage) get a short story together. usually takes about 4 weeks, and then write questions, ask questions about the comp./story after the kids have read it.
    i have only just started doing this.(thought of it myself!) and the kids have really responded to the idea. grammar to create the story, and comprehension when reading. as teacher you can guide the story as well. introduce certain ideas, western themes, while the kids are still "writing " the story themselves.
    my ss are enjoying it, and some are even writing quite lengthy stories to use in class. i have to check the grammar though
    i am using this in m1. and truly, i think i have piqued their interest in reading by using their own stories.
    some of them have even bought harry potter books in english, and from what i can gather, (with the aid of talking dics of course) seem to be enjoying/understanding what they are reading.
    just a thought. good luck. :chug: :chug:
    to be or not to be.......didn't know will was a tefler

vCash
    Thanks

Get them to draw picture (making a poster if possible), colour a picure or do a collage. Like unwell said, books that are movies tend to warm the kids up as well. I know "Matilda" was made into a movie and I believe "White Fang" was also years ago, if you could find them, the kids might identify with them more.

Check out this site for more information
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103247/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117008/
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Here's an idea

For my EP 4 Reading and Writing class we read the Penguin Reader version of "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. There are 9 chapters in the book. I broke the class into 9 small groups and assigned each group a chapter of the book to present as a graphic novel ( sounds better than comic book, but it's the same idea. ). The final project had to be done on A3 size art paper ( suitable for posting publically ) and must be colored using colored pencils.

They LOVED the assignment!!!

I don't know if this will work for your class but Thai kids love drawing and most are pretty good at it.

Good Luck!

Ernest