Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books in Bangok?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Books in Bangok?

I was wondering if anyone living in Bangkok could tell me if they have a wide variety of books to buy. I am used to large warehouse style books stores with anything and everything your heart could desire. I might bring a few books from home but would rather buy them there. I like the classics.
    Thanks

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Books in Bangok?

Quote Originally Posted by ugoonie
    I was wondering if anyone living in Bangkok could tell me if they have a wide variety of books to buy. I am used to large warehouse style books stores with anything and everything your heart could desire. I might bring a few books from home but would rather buy them there. I like the classics.
    Thanks
    Tons of bookshops. Asia Books does Wordworth and Penguin Classics for 125 baht...

vCash
    Thanks

Well, that all depends on your definitions... I would consider any of Eric Lustbader's "Nicholas Linnear" Novels to be a classic... You can try B2S, that is where I got all of my books, lots of good stuff, of various styles and authors. They have some CLASSICS like Oedipus, The Illiad and the Odessy, or The Tao Te Ching, as well as a few other Classics, like... say, Louis L'Amour, or the rare Harry Turtledove...

Though this is all relative to the particular B2S you shop at... There was also someone on the forum here who was opening such a bookshop, a really nice one from the sound of it, in BKK someplace... but I do not recall whom, or the website he gave... You could search bookstore or somesuch I suppose.

Hope that helps,
    Norng Citan

EDIT: Forgot about K-Books in the World Trade Center, lots of cool stuff there too, but a bit more expensive.
    Is le He.

vCash
    Thanks

Yup as stated before you can get almost any book. But they may be more expensive than you are used to. There is always Amazon.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

kinokuniya is the best new book store; try the emporiom branch or the paragon one.

shaman books on khao san road is the best used book store. also there is 'elite' (too small, expensive) opposite the emporium and 'dasa' (poor selection, pretentious staff, fusion music) a soi or two towards sukhumvit from the emporium.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

I might bring a few books from home but would rather buy them there.
    I'd bring as many as you can.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. I guess, based on your responses, I'll bring a few that I know I'll read and then browse when I get there. I like to collect old books but I can't carry them with me on my travels, unless I hire a pack mule.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

check out www.thailibrary.com. It has rent buy and sell books available.

vCash
    Thanks

Dasa bookshop, near the bts station for emporium(name escapes me)

vCash
    Thanks

phrom phong.

selection is meagre, jazz-fusion is annoying.

still this is bangkok. hopefully you might find something there...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Phuket has a number of good bookstores. Many are of the chain variety (i.e., similar to Borders or Barnes & Noble in the U.S. or W.H. Smith in the U.K.). These include:
    • B2S at Central Festival mall between Kathu and Phuket Town -- this is the largest bookstore on the island and has an excellent selection of Thai- and English-language books and periodicals; also a good variety of CD's, VCD's, and DVD's (both Western and Thai).
    • The Books at Central Festival -- primarily Thai-language books and magazines but there are a few English-language works along the wall close to the cash register; also has an excellent series of postcards (some of the best I've found for Phuket) and the clerks always remember to ask if you need stamps. (Other branches include a small -- mainly magazines -- booth on the ground floor of Robinson's, as well as a larger standalone store in Phuket Town; I have yet to visit the latter.)
    • SeEd Books (branches at Big C and Tesco-Lotus on the Bypass Road; there may be others I haven't found yet!) -- the one at Big C has mostly Thai-language books but there are a few in English along the front wall to the right of the entrance; Tesco's shop has a very large selection of English books and magazines and they also run a magazine stand in the mall itself.
    • Bookazine on Bangla Road in Patong has plenty of English-language books including plenty of the "usual" expat favorites (i.e., Dean Barrett, Stephen Leather, etc.).
    There are also a number of used bookshops on the island. I've noticed a large shop advertising English-, German-, and French-language books on Chaofa East Road, across from the turnoff to Phuket Zoo. I'll report back on that one once I have a chance to check it out.

Others I've seen (but not yet stopped in) include one on Rath-U-Thit 200 Pee Road in Patong close to the OTOP market and a street vendor selling used books from his motorbike-stall! There may be others (can someone report?)...

And of course, there's always mailorder:
    • I recommend Bangkok-based DCO Books who have a wide selection and low shipping rates.
    • Asia Books also does mailorder (and have a huge selection) but they don't have a payment gateway on their website. You need to fax them credit card details once they've sent you an email confirming availability and price. It's a bit of a deterrent as I'm not exactly willing to send my credit card info by fax, whether it be in the States or LOS.
    • Publishers Bangkok Books also has a limited number of books for mailorder on their site, including a few not available elsewhere.
    • And, of course, there's also American- and British- mailorder giants such as Amazon, but the high shipping rates can be a real deterrent.
    I'm a person who loves to read so I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive places to buy books...

vCash
    Thanks

Kinokuniya is best all around. But if you enjoy bookstores, by all means shop around.

Happy travels!
    "If you're not interested in changing where you work (and thus the student population, obviously) then a) your success at applying various and sundry teaching techniques is unlikely to have anything to do with how effective they are in general, and b) your sweeping generalizations about Thai students serve no purpose but to fuel your inertia and your feeling of being an 'insider'. Sadly (for you) few who read your sweeping generalizations will perceive it that way, but hey if it makes you feel good, knock yourself out." -zeusdogg

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I agree

Senior Member Array Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    Yup as stated before you can get almost any book. But they may be more expensive than you are used to. There is always Amazon.
    Sorry Pops, but books are about the same price here as they are in the UK or US.

I bought one from Asia Books last week.

Cover price 6.99 GBP

Thai price 395 Bhat (5.54 GBP as of today)

I have yet to buy a book in Thailand that is significantly more than the UK or US cover price.

vCash
    Thanks

How many books have you bought in the USA Marmers?? We have huge discount book stores such as Barnes and Noble. UK book prices are higher than USA prices as no books are sold at the cover price in the states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast