Thread: Maths Books for EP/MEP

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Maths Books for EP/MEP

Hi everyone, I'm curious to know what matyhom math books teachers are using in english/mini english programs. I've been using New Exploring Maths for my students. It seems ok (the curriculum is more of less at the right level), but I dont like some aspects of it (problem solving is unrelated to the chapter it is in), and its a rather dull two tone colour. There is also not a lot of applications, hands on stuff, and language aspects, in it. Most western books, though better in many ways (and more expensive), are at a lower level than the Thai curriculum. For example, circle geometry is in grade 9 Thai, but grade 10 Australian (NSW). Anyone have any suggests for other books? How do the students find them?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I've been using the Singaporean text by Federal, "New Mathematics Counts," for Matayom 1, and 80% was unusable. It doesn't follow the Thai curriculum, doesn't cover same subjects or at same level.

For next year we need an English text for M1 and M2 that follows the Thai curriculum and at roughly the same level. I thought the Thai textbook was too simple - doing graphs but not showing linear equations on them. Then teaching linear eq. without displaying them on graphs. Showing solid objects and then not measuring volume (in fact, not measuring area on plane objects). I thought that would be covered in P5 or P6 (or 5th grade, say in New York State).

At the end of the semester and year, are your Thai students in MEP and EP going to have to take Thai math tests in Thai language? Mine do at least partially. And they're crappy tests. I mean, the test for end of first semester for Matayom 1 was tough, tougher than the problems I saw in the Thai textbook. Besides, I don't have a decent translation of the Thai curriculum.

It must be nice to have adequate resources and support.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I use "Glencoe Mathematics Pre-Algebra" for my M-1 students. It is published in America by McGraw-Hill/Glencoe. Excellent in following the strands, plenty of hands-on activities, lots of pictures. Overall, a great book. Check it out at http://www.pre-alg.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi PB, We have a document, translated into english, from the MOE. Its rather vague and there are quite a few mistakes in it, that makes it hard to follow. You may want to look at the New Exploring Maths books. When I uses Math Counts in grade 7 last year, half the class found it too easy. NEM is quite a bit more difficult. There are 2 levels for NEM (normal/academic and special/express). SE and NA cover similar material. but SE goes into more depth. It mopre or less covers the curriculum, and even goes beyond it in some areas (i.e. goes into trig in grade 9, when its done in grade 9 in Thai).

But alas, I'm considering Western books now, and seeing whats available. The Singpore books don't have the visual appeal they should have (unlike our ESL books and books for all other subjects).

Manchesters Best Array mrsquirrel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Singapore books use to many big words which we don't need - I have to try and use Science Singapore books but next year I am ordering ones from the UK simply beacause the English is easier to understand.

Senior Member Array Just another BOF's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I use My Pals Are Here from Federal Singapore for my Grade 4 students and the book IS as bad as the title.

It even uses the word thrice for fuxsake.
    BOOM BOOM