-->

Thread: English Program English Books

Senior Member Array Just another BOF's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

English Program English Books

I teach Grade 4 in an English Program and beside English I teach Maths and Health. The books for both these subjects assume the student has first language familiarity with English, yet we teach English as a second language. Thus a grade four book assumes the students are elementary level and there is nothing that truly develops their fluency and comprehension.
    I truly believe that we should be introducing English books used in the U.K., U.S., Australia etc for English Programs to be truly successful.
    BOOM BOOM

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm sure you're right!!

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Too true, BOF. The MEP I work in uses age-appropriate US textbooks just for that purpose. The good is that my students experience a whole new level of English and about one-third of my class has dramatically improved their English abilities. Additionally, the different layout of American textbooks (more pictures, more activities, the availability of interactive websites) makes learning more enjoyable. The bad is that the parents (and a good many Thai teachers) cannot understand the books - therefore, the books are either too hard or not good. Sometimes, it is difficult to open schools up to new methods of education.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Good point. Say the math books we select for next year's M1 and M2 have the right curriculum for Thai students at that level. But a text designed for native speakers at that age and level will assume far too much skill in English.

Sure, after almost a whole year, my M1 students are whizzing through worksheets that the non-MEP classes struggle with. That's because they have 9 hours per week, 3 subjects, taught by native speakers of English. Now I'm about to teach them the simple past, but in effect we already taught it to them for 36 weeks. They're 3 weeks ahead of the other classes in studying the Thai textbook for English (which is all in English). They can write short essays or long paragraphs. In math and science, they can ask questions in English.

So, for the second year that students have been in EP or MEP, they should be ready for native speakers' textbooks. But not their first year.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

They seek him here, they seek him there, those frenchies seek him everywhere.
    vCash
    Thanks

I found that quite a lot of Thai ESL school books were written by Plilippinoes, presumably for Philippino students. Or perhaps chosen by the schools because they were cheaper than than American/British alternatives.
    ego misericordia fossor

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wangsuda View Post
    Too true, BOF. The MEP I work in uses age-appropriate US textbooks just for that purpose. The good is that my students experience a whole new level of English and about one-third of my class has dramatically improved their English abilities. Additionally, the different layout of American textbooks (more pictures, more activities, the availability of interactive websites) makes learning more enjoyable. The bad is that the parents (and a good many Thai teachers) cannot understand the books - therefore, the books are either too hard or not good. Sometimes, it is difficult to open schools up to new methods of education.
    I am proud to say my kids attend an EP program that follows the curriculum wang is talking about. As a matter of fact they just called me to say they could buy copies of next years books for half price today. 1000 baht a book for three instead of 2000 baht a book. Some of the best money I have ever spent.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajBA View Post
    I found that quite a lot of Thai ESL school books were written by Plilippinoes, presumably for Philippino students.
    As opposed to being written by a dyslexic???

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

I agree with you 100% on this issue. I donít know how these Thai teachers and admin can tell the difference between pure crap and quality material. Though, they in the end agree that materials brought in by most foreign staff as better quality. They arenít willing to budge, but continue to relay on their books. Even Thai students agree also.
    CharlieX / Abdul Jabaar
    If you really want to reach me, you'll know how.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
    Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
    Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
    Master of the Day of Judgment.
    Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
    Show us the straight way,
    The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_s View Post
    I agree with you 100% on this issue. I don’t know how these Thai teachers and admin can tell the difference between pure crap and quality material. Though, they in the end agree that materials brought in by most foreign staff as better quality. They aren’t willing to budge, but continue to relay on their books. Even Thai students agree also.
    They can't tell the difference. I'm sure most schools select their books on the basis of the suppliers generous discount. Sometimes on E.P's its not the book that is the problem but the school accepting sub standard students who can afford the fees. Schools that screen their intake carefully can choose an appropriate book. too often an E.P class is like a regular one, 3 superb students 6 or 7 with potential an 20 boys at the back who are bluffing.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    I'm sure most schools select their books on the basis of the suppliers generous discount.
    It's completely arbitrary at our school. Huge numbers of books have been purchased with generous kickbacks in play.

I use US Open Court, Blackline Masters series given to me by my brother.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    Huge numbers of books have been purchased with generous kickbacks in play.
    sadly this is true
    or at least from my experience when I designed an english programme at Uni

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^Those textbooks all go unused.