Thread: The best text books for primary classes.

vCash
    Thanks

The best text books for primary classes.

Last year my school had Get Set Go for all primary grades, I asked them to change them.
    Without any consultation they have bought My Pals are Here English for P1 to P6.
    Though I really like My Pals are Here Maths, I really detest this English book and have been told that Marshall Cavendish the printers, have a much more suitable book for primary kids.
    but the moneys spent and I'm stuck with them.
    What book would you reccommend for primary kids?
    Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón
    It is often that a person's mouth broke his nose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: The best text books for primary classes.

English Time
    Student books, workbooks, teachers book, wall charts for each unit, CD's and flashcards.
    Also a seperate reading book that follows the book.
    The kids like it. It's not only easy to use, but fun for the kids, as well.

vCash
    Thanks

The Go Go Loves English set. Has all the above, plus fun chants and writing books.

A top set, makes the kids love to learn.

Comprehensive scaffolding at it's best.

http://www.gogolovesenglish.com/Abou...se/default.asp

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

In my opinion there are no good books for primary kids. in the west primary kids don't have textbooks and for good reason. They are still learning the basic skills of English. textbooks are completely futile here for kids who cannot read. I have only just started using them for a very bright P6 class. all the textbooks are here is fill in the blanks which just encourage copying. you show me a P1-P3 child even in international schools who is Thai and can read more than 10% of the textbook for meaning and I will eat my socks. Teach the youngsters their phonics. Teach them C.V.C phonetical words and then try to build up to short sentences ie cat hit dog and fan sit on man. You've also got to remember many Thai students are learning to read thai at the same time. Imagine you are 6 0r 7 trying to learn Chinese in England with a textbook entirely written in Chinese. Not very easy is it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion
    In my opinion there are no good books for primary kids. in the west primary kids don't have textbooks and for good reason. They are still learning the basic skills of English. textbooks are completely futile here for kids who cannot read. I have only just started using them for a very bright P6 class. all the textbooks are here is fill in the blanks which just encourage copying. you show me a P1-P3 child even in international schools who is Thai and can read more than 10% of the textbook for meaning and I will eat my socks. Teach the youngsters their phonics. Teach them C.V.C phonetical words and then try to build up to short sentences ie cat hit dog and fan sit on man. You've also got to remember many Thai students are learning to read thai at the same time. Imagine you are 6 0r 7 trying to learn Chinese in England with a textbook entirely written in Chinese. Not very easy is it.
    spot on! We use books that are hard even for a NATIVE speaker! I would have struggled aged 6 with our P1 books - I was still colouring in circles at that age. I never sat an exam until 11 years old and I ended up with a PhD (Cantab). Just think what I would have been in the Thai system sitting exams twice a semester (taking up 4 weeks of teaching time) and spending 30% of my time learning a foreign language I hate - rather than study about science, history, geography, the world's religions etc (sadly lacking in Thailand as the focus is on rote learning of so called "science" and arithemetic.

Factor in I prob only studied 20 hours a week at primary (3 breaks a day where we could run around and let some steam off) with no homework, no weekend study or extra evening study. Think what I would have been if I pulled in a 50-60 hour teaching/study week like a typical P1 in Thailand (with 2 lessons after school tuition, weekend study, homework)

Prob would be an unemployed dole dosser as I would have burnt out by end of P1 and my brain turned to mush.........
    There are two types of men in the world. Intelligent men without religion and religious men without intelligence. The third type can't count.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo.
    spot on! We use books that are hard even for a NATIVE speaker! I would have struggled aged 6 with our P1 books - I was still colouring in circles at that age. I never sat an exam until 11 years old and I ended up with a PhD (Cantab). Just think what I would have been in the Thai system sitting exams twice a semester (taking up 4 weeks of teaching time) and spending 30% of my time learning a foreign language I hate - rather than study about science, history, geography, the world's religions etc (sadly lacking in Thailand as the focus is on rote learning of so called "science" and arithemetic.

Factor in I prob only studied 20 hours a week at primary (3 breaks a day where we could run around and let some steam off) with no homework, no weekend study or extra evening study. Think what I would have been if I pulled in a 50-60 hour teaching/study week like a typical P1 in Thailand (with 2 lessons after school tuition, weekend study, homework)

Prob would be an unemployed dole dosser as I would have burnt out by end of P1 and my brain turned to mush.........
    Sadly the textbooks here serve 3 purposes. 1. to line the pockets of the principals by taking his kickback and then charging as much as he can for a bit extra. 2. to promote an image to parents that the students are clever. 3. to allow incompetent teachers to teach and give kids the answers. They are not designed one iota with beginners English in mind. what relevance is learning about Christmas and Easter have to a Thai student. None. so when finally a Thai student has learnt to read say by P5orf P6, they have already spent 5 years understanding virtually nothing in their textbook. no wonder many have given up by M1 level. If students can't read, there is no point on having a textbook.

vCash
    Thanks

textbooks are completely futile here for kids who cannot read.
    and ironically, the work needed to teach reading isnt staggering. if you look at the content of most textbooks, they provide very little- which is easy to duplicate yourself.

buy one textbook for yourself and use it as a reference. there simply no need to have young learners follow something they have very little handle on.

Teach the youngsters their phonics. Teach them C.V.C phonetical words and then try to build up to short sentences
    again, its not hard to make up 50min lessons worth of stuff. the trick is to be able to expand on it- and draw out some concepts, and skim over others they easily get.

if you have a whiteboard, the kids have paper-n-pencils, and youre able to make photocopies ocassionally- youre good to go with the little ones.

and yeah yeah i know- parents like books because they can then relax more easily knowing "their kid is learning"....going sans book though- the teacher just needs to tell them that they know what they're doing and their kid is in good hands.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum
    and ironically, the work needed to teach reading isnt staggering. if you look at the content of most textbooks, they provide very little- which is easy to duplicate yourself.

buy one textbook for yourself and use it as a reference. there simply no need to have young learners follow something they have very little handle on.

again, its not hard to make up 50min lessons worth of stuff. the trick is to be able to expand on it- and draw out some concepts, and skim over others they easily get.

if you have a whiteboard, the kids have paper-n-pencils, and youre able to make photocopies ocassionally- youre good to go with the little ones.

and yeah yeah i know- parents like books because they can then relax more easily knowing "their kid is learning"....going sans book though- the teacher just needs to tell them that they know what they're doing and their kid is in good hands.
    So far I have made myself to teach phonics

letter sounds written in Thai sheet

50 CVC 3 letter words that you can read phonetically.

Loads of CVC sentence sheets ie dog hit cat and fan sit on man etc. (Kids sra the sentences)

A series of 20 simple books in the present simple focusing on key verbs.

A picture dictionary of 200 words include animals, sports, foods, body parts etc

A picture verbs dictionary

a 500 word dictionary in English Thai with key verbs, adjectives, places etc.

40 other books for beginners and intermediates on transport, sports, animals

Cost of one of these resources is under 5 baht to copy. I have the scheme, it works. for the price of 200 baht you can have 60 reading books in English in your school. I also have questions backing up every book.

will any thai school in my area trial it, of course not because there's more money in flocking textbooks and keeping kids ignorant. I truly believe this sadly. Nothing that schools do here in teaching English seems to make any sense. Nothing on the walls for kids to see, no questioning, no challenging, no stopping copying and cheating, multi choice exam. The message that kids get in their Thai subjects is that cheating pays, there are no consequences to failing as daddy will bail you out. until schools have the balls to challenge these issues, the Thai smile will continue to win over and Thailand will continue to breed a generation of buffaloes. I'm no expert here, I've just had an opportunity and the freedom to do exactly what I did with students back home. Teach them what they needed to know to progress. As you say its not rocket science but as long as its a money making excersise I fear all our efforts are in vain.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Nothing that schools do here in teaching English seems to make any sense.
    Pretty incredible isn't it. After a couple of years, I can say that that's a pretty hard statement to argue.

Sadly the textbooks here serve 3 purposes. 1. to line the pockets of the principals by taking his kickback and then charging as much as he can for a bit extra. 2. to promote an image to parents that the students are clever. 3. to allow incompetent teachers to teach and give kids the answers.
    Yeh maybe. But they are glossy and have lots of nice coloured pictures in them, right.

At some point a few centuries down the road, some bright soul in MOE, is going to clue into the fact that when the vast majority of primary and a good percentage of Matayon teachers, can't actually speak English with much competancy, then there's going to be a REALLY BIG FUCKING PROBLEM.

I find it hard to take seriously these days. And I hate feeling that way. Also hate complaining.

Best maybe to simply see it as a bystander and glean as much humour from the situation is the only way to go.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    Pretty incredible isn't it. After a couple of years, I can say that that's a pretty hard statement to argue.

Yeh maybe. But they are glossy and have lots of nice coloured pictures in them, right.

At some point a few centuries down the road, some bright soul in MOE, is going to clue into the fact that when the vast majority of primary and a good percentage of Matayon teachers, can't actually speak English with much competancy, then there's going to be a REALLY BIG FUCKING PROBLEM.

I find it hard to take seriously these days. And I hate feeling that way. Also hate complaining.

Best maybe to simply see it as a bystander and glean as much humour from the situation is the only way to go.
    You're probably right Russ. I've kind of given up with others schools, education departments etc. They have my number, they've seen the evidence but they don't want to act. I love my job, my freedom here and my school. I don't have to deal with nonense ever here. went to a school the other day and their teacher said the kids really enjoyed the books I gave them. I asked the M2 students later in thai who had read my books and not one of them had any idea what i was talking about. when I showed them they said they'd never seen any of them in their life. 3 baht each they cost to copy to make a difference. for the cost of hiring 5 costumes for a thai dancing image enhancing excersise, you can put 300 english books in a school for kids to read. Crazy.

vCash
    Thanks

I fear all our efforts are in vain.
    watch your tongue there peckerwilly talk like that will only help to take your eye off the ball. youre dead focused on the nuts-n-bolts. dont think that noone notices.

sometimes people see it, but are slow to process the changes.

plant that seed. let it take time. how many famous artists were popular/successful during their own lifetime? patience man. if you ideas work, it will catch on. das a fakt

vCash
    Thanks

We had a guy at our school today flogging a text book and c.d package, ''Follow Me'' from cambridge and BBC.
    The biggest load of crap I have ever seen 4 text books, 6 c.d 1500 baht and 3 comic books for 500baht.
    The kids were all excited because of the funny presentation the salespeople gave.
    I want one, I want one they were calling.
    Oh well all the mummies and daddies are very rich, so what if its a load of rubbish.

vCash
    Thanks

English Time is OK for P1-3, I didn't think the P4-6 books were very good though. A series called Chatterbox is pretty good - just move the books up a couple of levels, as they are rather difficult. ie.: use book 1 for P2 or P3, book 2 for P3 or 4, etc...
    __________________________________________________ ________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    And I thought that it was just a car!

Goodbye :( Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I use 'Let's Go' series for Grade 3, and Gogo Loves English for my Grade six English class.

All of these workbooks come with different levels, cd's, and also an interactive games cd.
    cyrille and paullly can enjoy being on my ignore list until they realize how to be nice boys.