-->

Thread: Illustration and Publishing for Books

vCash
    Thanks

Illustration and Publishing for Books

Does anyone out there have any experience with having books published here in the LOS? I'm thinking of getting some of my ideas together and putting together a small booklet more for fun than as a money making venture. My mother compiled some of her poetry in the states and printed maybe 3 books for all us kids, but never got it "Published" published. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Are there any reputable publishers here in LOS?
    2. What is the best way to go about getting a book illustrated?
    3. Is there any particular computer software that is best for formatting a book?

Thanks for any feedback or experiences you may like to share!

Back to teaching tomorrow...I guess I should get back to lesson planning!

Aloha,
    DuYen

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Illustration and Publishing for Books

How about getting some arts students to help you with illustration. And I'm sure there must be some online print on demand publishers...

Established User Array Maximus999's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by du yen View Post
    Does anyone out there have any experience with having books published here in the LOS? I'm thinking of getting some of my ideas together and putting together a small booklet more for fun than as a money making venture. My mother compiled some of her poetry in the states and printed maybe 3 books for all us kids, but never got it "Published" published. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Are there any reputable publishers here in LOS?
    2. What is the best way to go about getting a book illustrated?
    3. Is there any particular computer software that is best for formatting a book?

Thanks for any feedback or experiences you may like to share!

Back to teaching tomorrow...I guess I should get back to lesson planning!

Aloha,
    DuYen
    1. Yes, there many - Bangkok Books (Books on Thailand :: Book publisher and bookstore Thailand ) is quite well known as is D&K and Heavens Lake Press among many others.
    2. Don't know - I guess find an illustrator and ask for some advice.
    3. Probably, although I just sent off my manuscript to a UK publisher on Friday and I didn't use any kind of software for for the formating, just did it myself.

I was offered a deal from Bangkok Books a couple of years ago which i turned down as they only offer 10% of the cover price which is measley and I get 60% on the UK deal after printing sots are removed.

cheers and good luck

Max

vCash
    Thanks

Great info Max, Thanks!

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

We were taught how to use QuarkXpress and (later) Adobe InDesign for book and magazine layouts. I'm writing a book myself, heavy with graphics, and I'm using InDesign for the final layout and proof, although most of it is Adobe Illustrator stuff just 'dragged and dropped' into InDesign. Why bother with InDesign then? Well -- some printers require it, although I s'pose here in LOS they'd go with just Adobe Illustrator files. I'd still recommend InDesign especially if your book is made of more words than illustrations -- but even though, InDesign just includes those itty-bitty design specs like bleed, overprints, etc. etc. Probably nothing you should worry about, again, unless you're putting a lot of graphics into it.

At a school exhibit a couple weeks ago I saw some students who had put together their own magazines for art class. The quality of the work -- especially the printing was just friggin awesome -- like real pre-press quality stuff! Thing is -- single runs like that would cost a fortune, wouldn't they (the actual authors of the work were unavailable for questioning)??
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Established User Array Maximus999's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    We were taught how to use QuarkXpress and (later) Adobe InDesign for book and magazine layouts. I'm writing a book myself, heavy with graphics, and I'm using InDesign for the final layout and proof, although most of it is Adobe Illustrator stuff just 'dragged and dropped' into InDesign. Why bother with InDesign then? Well -- some printers require it, although I s'pose here in LOS they'd go with just Adobe Illustrator files. I'd still recommend InDesign especially if your book is made of more words than illustrations -- but even though, InDesign just includes those itty-bitty design specs like bleed, overprints, etc. etc. Probably nothing you should worry about, again, unless you're putting a lot of graphics into it.

At a school exhibit a couple weeks ago I saw some students who had put together their own magazines for art class. The quality of the work -- especially the printing was just friggin awesome -- like real pre-press quality stuff! Thing is -- single runs like that would cost a fortune, wouldn't they (the actual authors of the work were unavailable for questioning)??
    Hi Animaster, what's your book about? Is it about Thailand? One assumes you are a teacher going by the reference to a school in your post. I have sent my book off now to the publishers and am waiting for the news that it has been published and the link to Amazon. I'll send you the link if you're interested. all the best Max