-->

Thread: ESL reading material - adventures of...?

vCash
    Thanks

ESL reading material - adventures of...?

A few years back I downloaded some text and audio files about a Korean (I think) girl's adventure when she travels abroad. It was a story for ESL learners, and although I never listened to the whole story - I wasn't teaching English at the time - it seemed very promising. The story was well read and interesting too. I'd like to use the story next year but I can't seem to find the files anywhere. Seems like I must have deleted them a while back, which is a great shame.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know the story I am talking about? Like I mentioned, I think the main character is Korean, but she could be Japanese. I remember she gets picked up from the airport and then realizes she's not being taken to her homestay (or whatever it was) and being kidnapped instead. Something like that, anyway. Might have been called the "Adventure of K...."

If I can find the story again, I'll post the links here. Alternatively, does anyone have a good link to suggest? Mattayom 4 English program with mostly crap skills. Them, not me.

Edit: it might have been "Takiko", not "K..."

Established User Array Hong Kong Phooey's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: ESL reading material - adventures of...?

Sorry, can't help with your 'Adventures of ...' story, Lemmax. Have you tried posting on other Korean-orientated boards like Dave's ? Maybe someone who's actually working in Korea will have what you're looking for ? Worth a try methinks.

Meanwhile, I'll offer the following:

Home - podcasts with texts for learners to read and practice. Very basic level (which you say your M4s are). You could extend this by using storyboards (e.g. Chris Fairbanks - Storyboards ) so the learners get to recycle the TL and/or do their own stories.

Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab - For ESL/EFL Students Randall's listening lab. Some useful audio files with texts.

Another suggestion is to get yourself down to a bookshop like DK and buy graded readers (with illustrations) and accompanying CD/cassette. To give you an idea, try Around The World In 80 Days. The learners can read along and listen at the same time. The storyline is engaging (important if you're teaching teenage boys) and there's plenty of spin-off activities you can do to extend the theme if you have time and motivation. I also did a graded Sherlock Holmes mystery which was a hoot. My class went on to develop their own mystery and created playscripts which they acted out.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of project work in EFL 'cuz there's so much you can do to keep the learners engaged. The combination of readers and audio seems to be under-rated in many Thai classrooms, mores the pity.

HTH

vCash
    Thanks

Re: ESL reading material - adventures of...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Phooey View Post
    Sorry, can't help with your 'Adventures of ...' story, Lemmax. Have you tried posting on other Korean-orientated boards like Dave's ? Maybe someone who's actually working in Korea will have what you're looking for ? Worth a try methinks.

Meanwhile, I'll offer the following:

Home - podcasts with texts for learners to read and practice. Very basic level (which you say your M4s are). You could extend this by using storyboards (e.g. Chris Fairbanks - Storyboards ) so the learners get to recycle the TL and/or do their own stories.

Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab - For ESL/EFL Students Randall's listening lab. Some useful audio files with texts.

Another suggestion is to get yourself down to a bookshop like DK and buy graded readers (with illustrations) and accompanying CD/cassette. To give you an idea, try Around The World In 80 Days. The learners can read along and listen at the same time. The storyline is engaging (important if you're teaching teenage boys) and there's plenty of spin-off activities you can do to extend the theme if you have time and motivation. I also did a graded Sherlock Holmes mystery which was a hoot. My class went on to develop their own mystery and created playscripts which they acted out.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of project work in EFL 'cuz there's so much you can do to keep the learners engaged. The combination of readers and audio seems to be under-rated in many Thai classrooms, mores the pity.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions. Last year I was given a "graded reader" of the Chrysalids for my M4 students, the only problem being it was way too difficult for the class and not targeted to their needs. They also told me I had to use the Bangkok Post in the lessons, but don't get me started on that...

Apparently, this year the school can't ask the students to buy any books - education is now supposed to be free - so maybe the school will be a bit more careful about what it wastes its money on. One good story book for the year and I'll be happy. I've got plenty of other stuff I can use.

Edit: Oops! Corrected my spelling.