Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Primary Reading Books

  1. #1
    Regular User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,423
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    0

    Primary Reading Books

    We have just fitted a new school library at our school and require books in the form of readers for primary students. The books need to run in a series so that students can choose the next book from the series for improvment. I have memories from school of certain books but would like to hear your choice of books. I have used the oxford readers for teaching in Thailand which were great but i need more.

    Please post a few links to websites to purchase the books and I'll have a look!

    Thanks in adavance!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,467
    vCash
    6868289671
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 265 Times in 167 Posts


    Rep Power
    20734

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah!! View Post
    We have just fitted a new school library at our school and require books in the form of readers for primary students. The books need to run in a series so that students can choose the next book from the series for improvment. I have memories from school of certain books but would like to hear your choice of books. I have used the oxford readers for teaching in Thailand which were great but i need more.

    Please post a few links to websites to purchase the books and I'll have a look!

    Thanks in adavance!!
    I have written 4 schemes of book for beginners. They're supposed to be on Isara.org website but I'm not sure if they've all been scanned yet. There are about 70 books in the 4 schemes which will cost you a whopping 200 baht to photocopy all of them. I have multiple sets in my class. The idea is the books go home with kids and they can write in pencil the English and thai for words they don't know. Check it out. It works for my Isaan kids 50% who are fluent readers by the time they reach P4.

  3. #3
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Hi
    I would be pleased if you can let us know further on the links related for primary students.

  4. #4
    Thailand, love it! Array
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    786
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulathome View Post
    Hi
    I would be pleased if you can let us know further on the links related for primary students.
    The "Oxford Reading Tree" you've covered. The "PN+" series and "TreeTops" are also used fairly widely by many Internationals, particularly those with the UK curriculum.
    Last edited by WhatsGrammar?; 9th May 2009 at 19:35.

  5. #5
    Established User Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    You need to know the reading ages of your students in order that your library is appropriately resourced.

    They'll soon stop visiting if the books are too difficult.

  6. #6
    Thailand, love it! Array
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    786
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by tosser View Post
    You need to know the reading ages of your students in order that your library is appropriately resourced.

    They'll soon stop visiting if the books are too difficult.
    As the OP states, he works at the school so it would be assumed he knows the current reading ages of the Primary students, particularly after having gone through the ORT series.

    Perhaps the OP is also looking at challenging the students further.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,467
    vCash
    6868289671
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 265 Times in 167 Posts


    Rep Power
    20734

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsGrammar? View Post
    As the OP states, he works at the school so it would be assumed he knows the current reading ages of the Primary students, particularly after having gone through the ORT series.

    Perhaps the OP is also looking at challenging the students further.
    I would not assume anything. 95% of pratom kids i have tested in the last 3 years do no have basic reading skills and when they can read, rarely can they read for meaning. I would guess that outside the top handful of schools, kids reading is not assessed, reading is not monitored and certainly phonics are not taught. My books on isara.org are affordable, easy to copy and get kids reading regularly. they should be online next week. Buying loads of books is only good if your school has a culture of reading. Too many libaries here open on parents day and are horribly underutilised. Get monitoring systems in place before you buy anything. Good luck.

  8. #8
    Established User Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    ..... assume ......
    Far too much reliance is placed upon this sentiment in Thailand.

  9. #9
    Regular User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,423
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Primary Reading Books

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsGrammar? View Post
    The "Oxford Reading Tree" you've covered. The "PN+" series and "TreeTops" are also used fairly widely by many Internationals, particularly those with the UK curriculum.
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. More on Books & Resources
    By Anonymous in forum The Library
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th June 2010, 13:04
  2. Thai-English books for learning center
    By gypsy skye in forum The Library
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th October 2008, 09:45
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17th June 2008, 15:11
  4. Books for sale.
    By Nana in forum The Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th May 2008, 21:18
  5. Maths Books for EP/MEP
    By Loner in forum The Library
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th February 2005, 10:02

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •