-->

Thread: Bookshelves

vCash
    Thanks

Bookshelves

If you have one, which book has been in the collection the longest?

My shelf in Thailand started when I got here. I was reading The Damage Done on the flight. I kept it and Warren Fellows began my most recent collection.

What does your bookshelf mean to you and why have you kept the books that remain there? Are your books resources, highlighted and marked up? Or are they like temples not to be blemished?

These are the books I value more than others. I re-read most of them at some point and that's why I've chosen to keep them. Books by Bill Bryson are marked while works of fiction tend to remain clean.

What do think your bookself says to those skimming the titles?

Although I don't build my collection for others, I think it might say I've got a mind for facts and classical literature has escaped me.

For the books that haven't made the cut, what is done with them?

Most of my books are passed on in some way or another. I've rarely sold a book but am considering doing so more often.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by crew View Post
    Possibly The Stand by Stephen King. I discovered it by accident when I was a teenager, and I've read it several times. I have the uncut version with me in Thailand, but the original still proudly stands on my bookshelf in England.

What does your bookshelf mean to you and why have you kept the books that remain there? Are your books resources, highlighted and marked up? Or are they like temples not to be blemished?
    The books on my bookshelf are books that I feel are classics, or that have made a distinct impression on me when I was reading them. Only a small proportion of my non fiction books have been annotated.

Probably nothing. I've read a wide variety of books, most of which seem unrelated to each other. To others looking at my bookshelf it probably looks like a random collection of books thrown together.

They are piled up on lower shelves, where they gather dust. I don't like to get rid of books I've read. Often a family member will choose one to read.

vCash
    Thanks

I don't have any books salvaged from my childhood home, so it would be something I did for my 'A' level English Lit. course - probably 'Macbeth', 'The Power and The Glory' or 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles'

I used to leave books behind when I moved, but about 15 years ago I decided I wasn't going to let anything go. I've only ever re-read three books I think. 'London Fields' by Martin Amis, 'Crime and Punishment' and 'The Insult' by Rupert Thomson. So maybe it's not really logical for me to keep them all, but the price you get for second hand books is rubbish anyway.

I don't see books as 'temples', but I do respect them as what the author wanted to write, so I never add anything to them. Except if I lend them out I write my name on the inside cover in pencil.

If I buy a second hand book and someone has written in it I invariably tend to think the person is a bit of a twat. Even if the comments are insightful, which is very rare.

Then there's the ones with a written dedication inside the front cover. 'From Jonathon to Lily, with love always'. Well, until Lily trades it in on Khao San Road for the price of a Pad Thai.

It's difficult to say why I don't let any books go at all. I suppose it's because when we finally get a house of our own a major component of it for both of us will be a study. Not just a bookshelf -a sizeable room crammed with books.

That would depend totally on the person skimming them. For sure they would say that we both read quite a lot of fiction.

Just left behind for cleaners to throw away or sell - but as I said, nothing is left behind these days.

acostumbrado equivocado Array happynz's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I have several dozen lurid historietas from the newstands of forlorn fly-blown Mexican bus stations ranging from cowboy stories to ultra-violent police procedurals. Mix this in with my wife's Thai novels (I haven't the foggiest what they're about, but the covers have pastel coloured pictures of flowers and Thai women in traditional dress).
    My books are in a picnic basket. Don't ask...
    What do think your bookshelf says to those skimming the titles?
    Probably, 'erm...huh? I don't get it.'
    Nobody I know here would be interested in my collection of cheap crappy Mexican pulp (can't really say literature) so I guess I'll hang onto them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My alternative universe...
    Así pues, aquí estamos.

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

On Writing by Stephen King.

A couple of South East Asia Lonely Planet guides.

Candide by Voltaire, which I'll have to actually read now that I've put it here.

Quote Originally Posted by happynz View Post
    Nobody I know here would be interested in my collection of cheap crappy Mexican pulp (can't really say literature) so I guess I'll hang onto them.
    Not so fast fella, did you say cheap AND crappy?
    Last edited by WilliamBlake; 19th January 2010 at 14:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

I have an early edition of the Hobbit which my mother read to me when I was a kid

I highlight some books that's because I am studying using them. Normally books are sacred and I hate hate hate lending books to anyone else and nobody is allowed to read a book I have bought before me....

Very heavy on the history and literature with some junk books thrown in for good measure plus all my *ahem* graphic novels (I still have all my old 2000 AD and TMNT comics)

I keep pretty much all the books I buy but I tend to read a lot of history and I like to refer back to them, I'm so sad I even brought all my books from the UK. Only Dan Brown didn't make the cut!
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haltest View Post
    graphic novels
    Don't be shy....comics!!!....say it loud and proud

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by kenkannif View Post
    Don't be shy....comics!!!....say it loud and proud
    OK, I've been reading comics for the last 30+ years.........

Started with Beano/Dandy then Whizzer and Chips, moved to Roy of the Rovers and ended up on 2000 AD / Batman / Preacher / Sandman etc.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Me to the 2 mate

Got a whole bookshelf...well...a like 6 bookshelf bookshelf.....of 'em!!! My pride and joy!!!

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

probably a big compendium of second world war newspaper cartoons. had it as a small kid for some reason, was fascinated by it. salvaged from my parent's house a coupla months ago.

right now, i just like them there. they look good and are fun to skim through. used to cherish my collection then started moving around and stuff got left/given here and there in many different parts of the u.k and theh thailand. i like my collection now but time has taught me not to be precious about them.

that my interests are quite eclectic i guess. that i love fiction from the 19th century, the occult, survivalism, self-sufficiency, comedy, maps and war reportage.

they get kept. or lost. or lent. or given.
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

no idea. probably the complete sherlock holmes

i love it! most of the books i have kept over the years relate to south east asian history and politics. when i get my writing head on i use them as source material so many have highlighted sections in them

that i d need to get out more

just dropped a few at the school library
    the only way to change things
    is to shoot men who arrange things