-->

Thread: Decent books? Ss textbooks are c**p!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Decent books? Ss textbooks are c**p!

Hello

I'm a new poster here and a bit of a forum virgin, go easy!!

I work in South Thailand at a govt high school and I'm lucky enough to have a director who is (mostly) sympathetic to my needs!!

I teach M 1 through to M 6 students and I don't use their textbooks because they are pants!! So far I've been coming up with my own lessons but am getting tired of the constant planning plus 20 hours teaching...

I've asked for some cash from the school to buy some new books, not for all the students, just for me to use and photocopy if and when I need to, I have enough money for maybe 3 or 4 books.

I'm looking at any suitable books for speaking and listening classes which are available to buy in Thailand or from the web with delivery here.

Any ideas would be great, cheers. JG
    Always work like you don't need the money and always dance like no one is watching!

vCash
    Thanks

Try "Let's Go" for American English and "Get Set Go!" for British English.

DO buy the teachers guide. Although some of the lesson plans are basic, they make it easy for you to add the fun and games.

DO buy the tapes, as it's important for Ss to hear native-speaking voices other than your own. It also gives you a breather.

DO buy the workbooks, but DON'T let Ss have any units in advance otherwise they'll try to complete them before you've actually covered the material in class.

Also, make or download phonics cards [bogglesworld.com] for younger Ss and bypass recital of the alphabet until they know the sounds of consonants, vowels and diphthongs. After a month or two, they'll be able to start reading and pronouncing words that they've never even seen or heard before!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioPower
    Also, make or download phonics cards [bogglesworld.com] for younger Ss and bypass recital of the alphabet until they know the sounds of consonants, vowels and diphthongs. After a month or two, they'll be able to start reading and pronouncing words that they've never even seen or heard before!
    Very good and important advice! This will get them on the right track before they're introduced to Thai-English transliteration. They'll also be able to use English dictionaries. Strongly discourage use of English-Thai/Thai-English dictionaries for pronunciation, as they substitute Thai characters for English sounds that are missing in the Thai language.