Thread: buying some books before the trip?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

buying some books before the trip?

My friend and I are leaving for Phuket in July, to start the TEFL 4 week course, hopefully do some additional courses along way.
    However I would like to purchase some books while I am in England to give myself a little bit of a head start, or more like a bit of preparation.
    Can anyone suggest any good books to read on beofre and where can I get the Jolly Phonics from?
    Would it be worth buying some materials over here to take for something abit different?
    Basic spelling, like for our children?
    I want to take this as seriously as possible, so please forgive my ignorance, trying my best.
    Any advice would be of great help.
    :twogirls:

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

CS

Read some of the other threads in the Newbie section regarding recommended books, several of us have recommended several books...all good selections.

Regarding bringing materials; because of the profligate amount of material on the internet...bringing books and such for your kids isn't all that great a thing. Bringing arts and crafts material that isn't available here or is too expensive on a teacher's salary would be more beneficial for you.

Oh, you can find Jolly Phonics on their website you'll find the thread here in the Classroom.

Glad you're taking it seriously. Hope the attitude persists after arrival.

vCash
    Thanks

Realia is always a good thing to bring. Stuff from home that can facilitate class conversations. Postcards, menus, maps, pictures of where you are from, from times in your life, etc. Stuff you can't get here or on the internet. AND BRING ME SOME DORITOES! :chug:

hope you have a great time in Phuket!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Cheers for the advice again peeps. Good to know. Am looking forward to arriving, counting down the days.
    Will defo take the advice on board.