Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban Phe TEFL course

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Ban Phe TEFL course

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling
    The main advantages I found from TEFL Intl Ban Phe were Daves intensity on English grammar, which kept everybody focussed. There are lots of things that English speakers take for granted and he brought those out. Jidapa (I assume she is still there) and the other Thai staff gave the valuable Thai perspective but the most important thing was getting to all the different schools...it set me up very well for what I wanted to do in Thailand...and how nice of them to organise all those bars on the way home...you were guaranteed to be well oiled when you finally got to sleep .
    Dave's intensity on English grammar has been remarked upon before and there is no doubt that TEFLINT graduates areacolytes,yes indeed. In fact the whioleoperation is to be commended in a big way, From bottom to top I can only say that satisfaction has been enjoyed by many.

vCash
    Thanks

Three of my friends have been through the BP course and they all said that Dave Hopkins was a total twat (self-rightious, unforgiving control freak) but a good teacher in the classroom.

vCash
    Thanks

Aw shucks ... it's friday ... 2 o'clock ... the last day of class ... I graduated from TEFL International today here in Ban Phe.

Dave is a total professional ... controls the classroom ... THANK God ... I didn't pay $1600 bucks to listen to students try to debate with Dave about TESOL... or anything else.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crew
    Three of my friends have been through the BP course and they all said that Dave Hopkins was a total twat (self-rightious, unforgiving control freak) but a good teacher in the classroom.
    Opinions are like arseholes...everybody has one (first time for 3 weeks Ken).

I paid money to do a course, I was very happy with what I got for my money. Dave was good value in the classroom and didn't mix with us on the booze so I can't say what he was like outside...it didn't matter.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling
    Opinions are like arseholes...everybody has one (first time for 3 weeks Ken).
    No worries although your 'American telly is shallow' one means you're still not 100% good in my good books!!!

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

Dunno what you talk about?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper
    Aw shucks ... it's friday ... 2 o'clock ... the last day of class ... I graduated from TEFL International today here in Ban Phe.

Dave is a total professional ... controls the classroom ... THANK God ... I didn't pay $1600 bucks to listen to students try to debate with Dave about TESOL... or anything else.
    I thought Dave had left. He said he had - confusing?

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

heard the same...

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Storekeeper
    Are you telling porkies?

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TillieMiller
    Hi, I'm new here, but not new to ESL. Have been teaching in the states since 1998. Have been researching TEFL training and Thailand for a couple of months. This is the plan I have come up with but would like opinions from seasoned veterans in the field.

I left the classroom 1 1/2 years ago to care for sick family member. For the past year have been doing private tutoring only with local Vietnamese families. Because of this, even though I have degrees, experience, even a teaching license, I plan to take the course first when I arrive in Thailand, then look for a job. Seems from reading the veterans' posts that are available and that I have credentials to get one when I get there. But frankly, I'm rusty and I have an ESL cert but not EFL. Besides it's been a long time, but I do remember what a mistake it is to get up in front of classroom without a plan and some practice. Opinions on this plan?

Tillie
    Everything you need to know is on the Internet.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded
    Storekeeper Are you telling porkies?
    What does that mean ? Is it the same as talking smack ? I did just finish friday and I'm still here in BP ... kinda like the place.

IRT to the topic and Dave ... I came here to do the course and not to booze it up. I was often up until after 10:00 PM preparing for my TP ... and even the class star student was often up even later than that talking herself through the steps.

Maybe I just found the grammar part easy ... I'm not sure, but I didn't find it to be as tough as some make it out to be, nor do I think Dave came across as particularly "intense" with grammar. If he was intense about anything IMO it was in his critique of student TP. And even then it's not personal ... it's a guy with years of experience trying to help you improve your classroom technique and be a better teacher.

IMO Dave approaches his job as a professional and is trying to turn out competent entry level TEFLers. And Jitapa does a darn good job as well and is very patient even with the thick skull students.

vCash
    Thanks

And Jitapa does a darn good job as well and is very patient even with the thick skull students.
    ...and she is quite a pleasant sight while one is concentrating intently on her quiet voice.

Senior Member Array champagne charlie's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Copy that - it's a short, fast-moving course with a lot of concepts and info to cover. Dave handles the classroom masterfully.

Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded
    Storekeeper
    Are you telling porkies?
    Wouldn't be the first time!

vCash
    Thanks

LDMA,
    Not sure where to post this, but one of the posters on TEFL watch asked why it was ok to mention people and institutions names on this thread. I took a look, read the forum rules and agreed that the posters are within the rules of the forum.

This was posted on TEFLwatch. I took a look at it and thought it should also be posted here so you could comment on it.

"The thread is posted in a "room" whose rules specifically allow the practice of naming and shaming as long as everything is kept cool...no flamewars, no overt advertising, etc. Check out the rules of the room. To be honest, I was surprised. Also, these rules ONLY apply to TEFL course providers, not schools, language centers, etc. apparently as these others were not mentioned in the rules of the "room".

Now this COULD be considered a way to carefully moderate threads about potentially high priced advertisers. Personally, I don't understand the difference from an educational institute that promises employment in some cases from a language center or school that promises employment under certain conditions."

One poster commented that TI had found him a good job and he is his own man and enjoys his job. To me, this would suggest that other posters should be allowed to express opinions also, both positive and negative. And, since TI is now a job provider, that would put them in the same category as a school, where naming and shaming seems to still be prohibited.

I'm sure there is a hazy line there somewhere between job providers, but it does seem that when one poster is allowed to talk positively about the job TI got for them, other posters should be allowed to post their opinions of their employment experience with jobs provided by TI.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast