Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ban Phe TEFL course

Resident Pontificator Array Loxley's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Ban Phe TEFL course

Is it true that the TEFL cerfificate taught there is accepted by the British Council?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

vCash
    Thanks

I don't know about that...ask the BC about that. A agency here will USUALLY tell you what you want to hear just to get your money. I'm not saying TI isn't good, but I just don't trust their certification claims. If they say the BC accepts them, don't trust them, ask the BC.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobman_y2k
    Also, you mentioned another website....why is it a problem?
    When you look at some of the nasty postings on here...let alone other sites...Bruce is possibly a bit sensitive that mud sticks. There is nothing sinister about the place.

Quote Originally Posted by pauleddy
    It looks as though the cert. course plus on-site hotel is only 100usd more than the cert course alone, 100 bucks for four weeks? That's cheap. Is the hotel nasty?
    No it is not nasty. 3,000 baht for a month isn't expensive board. I didn't stay in the rooms in the building, but saw plenty of them when visiting buddies. They were small backpacker rooms with aircon and quite suitable for the purpose. You can't take any "guests" back and there is security at the gate to stop that and other undesirables entering. The rooms are upstairs from the lecture rooms so the people who stayed there were able to pop back to their rooms during breaks.

There are only so many rooms available and on most courses are booked out. However there are other hotels and holiday parks between the school and Ban Phe whch is about a kilometre away. I stayed in a bungalow about 1 km away. I really enjoyed the place and the walk to school in the morning along the waterfront was a real treat. The disadvantage on walking the distance was made up by the proximity to Ban Phe township. Ban Phe has good bars with sports TV etc and if you needed a massage there were plenty of places there. The bungalow might have been 3500 baht, I can't remember but I was very happy as I said.

There are some really nice little restaurants right opposite the school so we never starved. There were laundry shops, massage shops, and Internet cafes, all nicely priced to backpacker budgets.

Along the beachfront to Ban Phe are many little beachcomber like Thai bars. They were very pleasant to sit and have a drink in at the end of the evening.

The only complaint I heard was about cold showers in most of the accommodation, except the school itself. That didn't worry me because it was so hot and I was there in December which is the coldest time.

All in all I found it a great introduction to Thailand. I would liked to have found work in Rayong province but then so do most other "alumni" so the pay isn't that great locally.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitproof Fence

What is your incentive for attacking them?
    I am not attacking anyone merely stating my own opinion. I recall Dave announcing to the class that one student's idea was "stupid". Which is completely unprofessional and goes against every educational prinicipal I believe in. Fortunately the student was a straight talking American brain surgeon and he fired back with "Dave I make more in a month than you make in a year" Dave went purple and carried on to look for more vulnerable trainees to insult and demean.

Bruce, as for Dave being one of the best teacher trainers in the world perhaps if an anthology of his published work; doctoral thesis; University appointments; peer recognition from say perhaps Chomsky or another world class educator was made available we could make up our own minds on the veracity of your outlandish claim.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitproof Fence

What is your incentive for attacking them?
    I am not attacking anyone merely stating my own opinion. I recall Dave announcing to the class that one student's idea was "stupid". Which is completely unprofessional and goes against every educational prinicipal I believe in. Fortunately the student was a straight talking American brain surgeon and he fired back with "Dave I make more in a month than you make in a year" Dave went purple and carried on to look for more vulnerable trainees to insult and demean.

Bruce, as for Dave being one of the best teacher trainers in the world perhaps if an anthology of his published work; doctoral thesis; University appointments; peer recognition from say perhaps Chomsky or another world class educator was made available we could make up our own minds on the veracity of your outlandish claim.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley
    Is it true that the TEFL cerfificate taught there is accepted by the British Council?
    Certificates, maybe. Cerfificates? DEFINITELY!

That'd be the Very Young Learners one, right?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    "Dave I make more in a month than you make in a year"
    Why was the dude at TEFL' Ban Phe then?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Certificates, maybe. Cerfificates? DEFINITELY!
    Doh!!!

Im wanting to do a TEFL course with more international recognition....hard choice for me at the moment
    </IMG></IMG>

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ go celta

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling
    Bruce is possibly a bit sensitive that mud sticks. There is nothing sinister about the place.
    As any concerned businessman, I would assume Bruce would be sensitive about mud sticking...I guess the question is, is there mud to stick...Bruce said he was frightened and concerned, my question is simply, why? Are there customers or employees that have been less than satisfied? I would suggest anyone interested in a TEFL course or any other business be aware that when all you hear is happy and satisfied customers...ask why.

Next, as a potential customer, understand that when an organization touts itself as the ONLY provider of this or that, or its the "Choice of the ... " whatever government organization , please understand that thats complete BS. The graduates of TI really do go thru the same processes as everyone else, with a degree, without a degree, or whatever to get a work permit, visa, etc. You might be able to find a job quickly, but really, finding a job teaching here isn't that hard. Whats hard is finding a decent school.

I guess my point is, the quality of Dave's education seems to be almost universal, but don't think that just because you have it, you'll be able to land that high paying job in Japan with their piece of paper. Or that you'll even be able to land a high paying job here in Thailand with their certification.

Just my opinion...what do I know.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluefalang
    ^ go celta
    doesnt that restrict you to teaching adults? are you saying that celta's are more internationally recognised?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

yes, i think they are more internationally recognised but you can research that yourself.

vCash
    Thanks

My guess that CELTAs are far more recognized...Bruce, could you please comment on the international recognition of your certs?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

there is a young learners option also but i cant remember the acronym. cylt? or something.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley
    doesnt that restrict you to teaching adults? are you saying that celta's are more internationally recognised?
    Mate wherever they are from they are only a 100 hour TEFL Certificate. Even 100 hours at Harvard is only worth so much. From what I understand it doesn't really matter in the market we work in.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast