-->
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

  1. #1
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Hi,

    I am looking to move to Thailand next year, I currently work as a computer network engineer but would like to back my search for work in Thailand up with some English teaching qualifications to give me more options.

    I have a Ba in IT, I was wondering from peoples experiences what advice they might have with choosing CELTA, TEFL or TESOL?

    I only have my GCSE has English related qualification and thats from 13 years ago, would there be any value given in taking an English Language A level before I make the move?

    Also I speak some Thai and can read very well and write a little, does it give an advantage at all when looking for work?

    Also just if anybody might know, do IT jobs exist for farangs outside Bangkok?

    Any feedback much appreciated. Happy New Year to everybody

  2. #2
    sinnesloschen Array Well's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,936
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    210

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    I have a Ba in IT, I was wondering from peoples experiences what advice they might have with choosing CELTA, TEFL or TESOL?
    a celta is a tefl certificate...one of the highly-regarded ones, worth doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    ...would there be any value given in taking an English Language A level before I make the move?
    i don't think so, no...

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    ...does it give an advantage at all when looking for work?
    not really...might though, but then it also might be a disadvantage too...funny country!



    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    ...do IT jobs exist for farangs outside Bangkok?
    teaching i.t.? yes.

    "so please show no pity as we come up from the ground, and please remember as you kill us and cut us down that time will not wash clean the bloody face of history, and someone will breathe here again and they will hate you for what you leave." m.g.


  3. #3
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply, do you know whether the CELTA courses in Thailand would be as good or better to take when compared with one in England.
    I have checked the price and the ones in Thailand seem to be slightly cheaper.

    Could you recommend anywhere?

    Also for the A-Level I was wondering whether I would benefit not from the qualification but from familiarising myself with grammer etc. that I might have forgotten since my GCSE days in the stone age.

    Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

  4. #4
    sinnesloschen Array Well's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,936
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    210

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    ...do you know whether the CELTA courses in Thailand would be as good or better to take when compared with one in England.
    in theory they're exactly the same. they're run more or less the same wherever they're taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    I have checked the price and the ones in Thailand seem to be slightly cheaper.
    probably would be the case yeah...think the choice is really on where you wanna do it, uk or thailand. personally i was glad i got it done at home rather than in thailand, i think the stress and shock of being a newbie and doing the course would've been a lot to handle...

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    Could you recommend anywhere?
    think the celta at ecc bangkok (CELTA, TESOL TEFL, TESL and CELTYL Certification & Certificate Courses for EFL ESL Teachers. Teach English abroad or overseas at ECC (Thailand) ASIA. Survivor Education Thailand) does good business. think matthew did his there so maybe have a word with him.

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    Also for the A-Level I was wondering whether I would benefit not from the qualification but from familiarising myself with grammer etc.
    maybe...but in my experience, a lot of teachers come to the job with a very distant memory of grammar (myself included) but it's not brain surgery and you can easily read up on it as you go along. i think taking a year to do an a-level in english would be a lot of unnecessary graft.

    Quote Originally Posted by dangbry
    Thanks for your advice...
    more than welcome! a lot more knowledgeable folks on here than me so you might get some more good info when they login...


  5. #5
    Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    subzero
    Posts
    7,290
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Rep Power
    3865

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Didn't I just answer these questions on a different thread?

    Do search, OP.

  6. #6
    Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,565
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 54 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    10381

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    BA in IT from an English Speaking Country and a Native Speaker. No problem getting a Job here in Thailand. Anyone telling you any different is just promoting their teacher training academy. If you want to pick up a qualification from you home county prior great. It won't be necessary here. If you have never taught before, you might want to do a short course 2-6 weeks. Cheapest is a Two week course from ECC for about 200 pounds. You could just take an Intro to teaching course where ever you are now.
    Maybe volunteer to Teach ESL to immigrants in you home country.
    Any home country qualification will be better that what is available here. In my opinion.

  7. #7
    Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiding in a tree with a picnic
    Posts
    16,162
    vCash
    1433
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 959 Times in 622 Posts


    Rep Power
    110550

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    'A' Level English. I have it and thoroughly enjoy my lessons with Prathom 3 discussing the Miltonic style of Keats' 'Hyperion'. Little buggers try to derail me with their Jane Austen workbooks ("Let's Go, Mr D'arcy!" Available at DK Bookshops in Bangkok) but I can usually (but not always) save the lesson by playing Chaucer Bingo or Tic Tac Tennyson.

    Definitely.

    Or - go to Ban Phe and have 4 weeks on the piss with some grammar thrown in. (LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This in no way should be seen as an endorsement or recommendation of any goods or services offered by TEFL International nor any of its subsidiary or related companies. Deary me, no, vicar.)

    Come on in - the water's lovely. xx
    "Take this, brother; may it serve you well."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array haltest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,018
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 66 Times in 40 Posts

    Mine Sweeper Champion!
    Rep Power
    3227

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Also just if anybody might know, do IT jobs exist for farangs outside Bangkok?
    You've got a very slim chance unless you work in a senior capacity in a well known company in the UK. Most IT jobs are always done by the Thais themselves (even though the majority of them are not as well trained as those back home) but it is possible (difficult but not impossible) to find IT work in Bangkok especially if you can get into a MNC who are looking for someone to run the operations here and they don't trust what's available locally. I was a network engineer/IT manager back in the UK and I have seen the odd job advertised looking for an expat with an ok (local) salary. Fresh out of uni IT grads start on about 12-18,000 Baht, with a few years experience they can get around 25,000-35,000 per month and an IT manager will be on from 80,000 - 120,000 depending on company size and responsibilities. Most Thai staff are not MCSE/CCIE etc qualified so if you have those they are always nice to put you in a position of knowledge that you can easily show.

    There are no jobs outside Bangkok because most MNCs are based in Bangkok unless you can luck out with an NGO or the UN/UNESCO etc.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

  9. #9
    Regular User Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    669
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    1204

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Quote Originally Posted by haltest
    You've got a very slim chance unless you work in a senior capacity in a well known company in the UK. Most IT jobs are always done by the Thais themselves (even though the majority of them are not as well trained as those back home) but it is possible (difficult but not impossible) to find IT work in Bangkok especially if you can get into a MNC who are looking for someone to run the operations here and they don't trust what's available locally. I was a network engineer/IT manager back in the UK and I have seen the odd job advertised looking for an expat with an ok (local) salary. Fresh out of uni IT grads start on about 12-18,000 Baht, with a few years experience they can get around 25,000-35,000 per month and an IT manager will be on from 80,000 - 120,000 depending on company size and responsibilities. Most Thai staff are not MCSE/CCIE etc qualified so if you have those they are always nice to put you in a position of knowledge that you can easily show.

    There are no jobs outside Bangkok because most MNCs are based in Bangkok unless you can luck out with an NGO or the UN/UNESCO etc.
    Don't know what a MNC is but if it's a computer company, then I know one that employs farang in Chiang Mai. Try Aware Corporation. Google to get contact info.

  10. #10
    Hangin' Around Array Cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    17,697
    vCash
    90000
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    Didn't I just answer these questions on a different thread?

    Do search, OP.
    ^ Can this be a sticky?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array haltest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,018
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 66 Times in 40 Posts

    Mine Sweeper Champion!
    Rep Power
    3227

    Re: CELTA, TEFL or TESOL??

    MNC = Multi National Company

Similar Threads

  1. SEE's $800 TEFL to ECC's $1600 CELTA
    By Eire in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 23rd February 2012, 18:00
  2. tefl vs tesol??
    By james_goku in forum The Newbie Zone
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 18th August 2008, 15:39
  3. Trinity TESOL and Cambridge CELTA
    By Loxley in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th August 2007, 18:34
  4. Celta, TEFL, etc, Help needed
    By dazed in forum The Newbie Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th April 2007, 16:35
  5. What CELTA (and other TEFL courses) don't teach
    By wix in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 8th September 2006, 23:58

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •