Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koh Samui, Phuket or Bangkok

Established User Array 996ttcab's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Koh Samui, Phuket or Bangkok

How are job opportunities in Koh Samui and what is life like there. I prefer laid back climate and surfing if possible.

ECC does Celta class in Phuket in September. I am not sure if I want to wait that long. Text and Transitions I believe it is called commenced a class in August in Koh Samui. This is a TEFL class.

Should I let location dictate whether I do a Celta or a TEFL. Would I be better served attending classes in city I wish to remain. I just prefer the beach life over city life. Thank you for your input.

Posted via Mobile Device

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Koh Samui, Phuket or Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by 996ttcab View Post
    Should I let location dictate whether I do a Celta or a TEFL
    yes
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

vCash
    Thanks

and surfing if possible.
    Try Indonesia.
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsLeedsLeeds View Post
    Try Indonesia.
    Haha. Not sure I could get accustom to the garb.

Any negatives about Phuket or Koh Samui?

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Mainly just that the job market is much tighter (than Bkk) in each location. It can be done, but if money is an issue the big city serves better (as in most countries).

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Mainly just that the job market is much tighter (than Bkk) in each location. It can be done, but if money is an issue the big city serves better (as in most countries).
    Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I have a doctorate degree in law and some MBA courses. I can actually teach college with my JD degree. Would that help me any and what type of salary could I expect in Phuket or Samui.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Haha. Not sure I could get accustom to the garb.

Any negatives about Phuket or Koh Samui?
    Nothing but. No waves in Phuket .. well, there was one that became famous. The China Sea and The Andaman are not hot oceans for hanging ten, or even five.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    The Andaman are not hot oceans for hanging ten, or even five.

You can actually catch some very decent surf, this time of year (between the end of June and the beginning of September) in Phuket. 2' to 4' foot sets when I lived there.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

vCash
    Thanks

Not sure I could get accustom to the garb.
    Don't rule it out if you want decent surf though, there are a few posters on here that live in Jakarta and they seem to make a decent living down there. Thailand doesn't get much surf and, as Keeshou said, it's not year-round and not too big.

vCash
    Thanks

There is surf at this time of year on Phuket but its not a natural curl. Its a wave generates by the monsoons.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I have a doctorate degree in law and some MBA courses. I can actually teach college with my JD degree. Would that help me any and what type of salary could I expect in Phuket or Samui.
    You should get a few more posts under your belt (Games room and send a Private Message to "crew" for the Phuket side of things. He lives there and knows alot about this. He gets busy, but I'm sure he'll answer when he gets a little time.

I'm afraid I don't know the current salary range in Samui. I'd suggest going straight to the lions den though and ask schools directly.

What types and how many schools are there on Samui guys???

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    There is surf at this time of year on Phuket but its not a natural curl. Its a wave generates by the monsoons.
    And the undertow is fatal there, killing several people every year. As far as jobs in Phuket, they exist, but the pay is dismal, unless you're at the British International school. If you take the course in Phuket, you have to wait. Go for the course in Samui in August, then decide where to work after that.

You would have alot more opportunities with the TESL, as the CELTA is geared towards teaching adults. I taught business English in BKK without the CELTA.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
    And the undertow is fatal there, killing several people every year. As far as jobs in Phuket, they exist, but the pay is dismal, unless you're at the British International school. If you take the course in Phuket, you have to wait. Go for the course in Samui in August, then decide where to work after that.

You would have alot more opportunities with the TESL, as the CELTA is geared towards teaching adults. I taught business English in BKK without the CELTA.
    Rip currents and undertow just means the waves are starting to get okay to good. They are not dangerous to surfers. I was in 12 to 15 foot swells from huricsne Bertha this past weekend. I live on the Gulf, but we made a road trip to the Atlantic side for the hurricane swells. Swimmers will be at severe peril in such water and the beaches were red flagged or closed to swimmers.

Sorry to digress. Happens when I talk about surf boards and waves.

Thanks for the input on the Celta v. TESL. I will keep that in mind. At the risk of sounding pompous, the price of the course is of little consequence. I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I have money saved up and I am actually looking to finally contra ute to society after Manu years of representing doctors, nurses and nursing homes in some Fricker up litigation.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rip currents and undertow just means the waves are starting to get okay to good. They are not dangerous to surfers. I was in 12 to 15 foot swells from huricsne Bertha this past weekend. I live on the Gulf, but we made a road trip to the Atlantic side for the hurricane swells. Swimmers will be at severe peril in such water and the beaches were red flagged or closed to swimmers.
    Oops. Typing on iPhone. That should have read as follows:
    Thanks for the input on the Celta v. TESL. I will keep that in mind. At the risk of sounding pompous, the price of the course is of little consequence. I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I have money saved up and I am actually looking to finally contribute to society after many years of representing doctors, nurses and nursing home in shifty Fricked up cases. Made a lot of money, but the philosophic aspect of the defense work at times did not sit well with me.[/i]

Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by 996ttcab; 17th July 2008 at 14:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Let's assume neither Phuket nor Samui have good waves nor good pay. That leaves BKK: no waves, good pay.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    Let's assume neither Phuket nor Samui have good waves nor good pay. That leaves BKK: no waves, good pay.
    Sounds reasonable.

That last post of mine is a mess. I am typing on an iPhone and for whatever reason I could not edit the posting.

My point is simply that I look forward to actually be of service to a portion of society that may actually need it as opposed to representing doctors, nurses and nursing homes that neglected someone's loved one.

Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast