Thread: How do online tefl courses compare?

vCash
    Thanks

How do online tefl courses compare?

I've seen online courses offered for tefl certification. There are the 100 hour and 250 hours ones available. They are significantly cheaper than the classroom courses, and most importantly, since there are no centers near where I live in the US, I would be able to take the course before going to Thailand.

From the browsing I've done with job availabilities from ajarn.com, I think there was only one place that specified that they didn't accept the online certification (I think it was wallstreet). As a bit of background, I have a BS from a reputable University and have lived in Thailand for several years and speak excellent Thai.

Is there any significant disadvantage to those with online tefl certifications?

Edit: Just read the FAQ's and there were answers to at least some of my concerns. What I would like to hear is personal experience from all of you gurus where you found an online certification was or wasn't a disadvantage.

2nd Edit: I've never officially had a job in teaching esl, but have done plenty of volunteer English teaching in Thailand at schools and businesses. Mostly just improvised lessons, though.
    Last edited by baksiidaa; 8th September 2008 at 18:44.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: How do online tefl courses compare?

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    Is there any significant disadvantage to those with online tefl certifications?
    Have you ever taught in a classroom? If not, the courses aren't for you. They say they are, but they're not.

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

how can you do any practical teaching practise online?
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

vCash
    Thanks

See my 2nd edit. I've had plenty of teaching practice at schools and businesses. Just not as a job.

vCash
    Thanks

I've never officially had a job in teaching esl, but have done plenty of volunteer English teaching in Thailand at schools and businesses.
    I've had plenty of teaching practice at schools and businesses.
    What's "plenty"? How many hours? Any experience outside an EFL classroom doesn't count--apples and oranges.

Still, the on-site courses are worth the extra money. I tutor both courses and those who do well on-line are those who are already trained teachers who need TEFL certification.

Practice makes perfect but incorrect practice makes for bad habits. You should really have observed teaching practice before you enter a classroom on your own. Plus, it will help with the nervousness of being observed. Any good school will require you to teach an observed lesson before they hire you and also periodically observe your lessons.

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, crew.
    As far as teaching English goes, I've probably done about 50-100 hours of volunteer English teaching in Thailand. I don't really get nervous in classroom settings but you do bring up a good point about incorrect practice making bad habits.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Online Cert. Not worth the paper it is printed on. Make your own with clip art.

If you have a BA that is enough to get a job. The "experience" you quote 50-100 hours is also nothing to spout about in your resume.

Build on your other skills and experiences.

Good luck.

Mostly just improvised lessons, though.
    Remember to accentuate the positive rather than dwell on the negative.
    Last edited by Killing Me Softly 101; 8th September 2008 at 20:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Killing Me Softly 101 View Post
    If you have a BA that is enough to get a job.
    My BA is enough to get a job washing windows on high rise buildings but without some training specific to the job I might accidentally scratch a window or plummet to my death.

Regardless of the fact that TEFL certifications aren't required in Thailand, do everyone (the students, your peers, the parents and yourself) a favor and get the four weeks of training. It helps a lot and is the least you could do considering people get university degrees for this stuff.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crew View Post
    Any good school will require you to teach an observed lesson before they hire you.
    Not in my experience.

A lot of places that do that are just looking for someone to do an hours work for nowt ime.

Regardless of the fact that TEFL certifications aren't required in Thailand, do everyone (the students, your peers, the parents and yourself) a favor and get the four weeks of training. It helps a lot and is the least you could do considering people get university degrees for this stuff.
    Well said

(Whatever your vested interest )
    Last edited by Cyrille; 8th September 2008 at 21:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Regardless of the fact that TEFL certifications aren't required in Thailand, do everyone (the students, your peers, the parents and yourself) a favor and get the four weeks of training.
    While TEFL certificates might not be required from a legal standpoint, you still get plenty of employers that would like to see one. Wall Street has been mentioned already but they're certainly not alone.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Whatever your vested interest
    I have none and always make it clear that I do work for a training center; I receive absolutely nothing for connecting a student to one of our courses. I've even steered a couple of people away from our courses if another is more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    While TEFL certificates might not be required from a legal standpoint, you still get plenty of employers that would like to see one.
    And the smarter ones will ask what type of course you took even though the on-lines certificates don't necessarily indicate it was taken via the internet.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

BA and no cert.
    BA and online cert.

Equal in my opinion. Guys I wasn't dissing the four week wonder. Just that an online is not going to be of any importance to an employer.

Sure the four week face to face plus the BA is better than with a just a BA.
    OP did not ask that.
    Sure a MA TESOL or State Certs in ESL are better still.
    But to just get a job.
    BA will do it.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ To be honest mate....white skin and a pulse...will do it

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it