-->

Thread: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

Studying For my TEFL. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

(Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

Hi again. Well thank you for all your advice to my last post regarding Degree no degree teaching in Thailand. I have been making some progress and Have now completed 60 hours of study including the weekend practice for the TEFL Qualification.

I have also looked into the advice of finishing my degree. It isn't possible to finish it but someone recommended London External.

I didn't fancy what they had on offer and it looked as though my previous credit would not count or be relevant. So i have been looking at the Open University Open Degree.

I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding credit transfers but all being well, will only need to complete at least 2 x 60 point courses to obtain a BSc (Hons) (Open) Degree.

What I now need some advice on is the following:

Does anyone know anyone who is teaching or has taught with license with an (Open) Degree?
    Does the MOE accept the Open University as a valid institution (I can't see why not but....)?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    James
    Last edited by jcbradshaw; 14th February 2009 at 00:14.

Senior Member Array Robin Friday's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

It's a degree. A real degree. The MOE would have zero problem with it.

vCash
    Thanks

i have been doing a lot of similar like thinking and searching lately. the GF just told me about a page that shows all schools accredited with the Thai MOE and she told me Open University UK is listed (as accredited).

here is the link to the site but it looks like it is all in Thai script. maybe it will be useful for someone, especially if your Thai reading skills are better than mine. :D

oh well i guess no link until i boost my post count to >15. or maybe this will work... just remove the spaces.

http : // 203.146.227.7 / accredit / course_search_inter . asp

i have read of other teachers in LOS referencing degrees obtained from Open University. i am curious if it is possible to adjust the course load to accelerate the learning process or slow it down if required to a pace that one is comfortable with?

if so this would certainly be a big advantage of going this route for me... online / distance learning.

cheers,
    tt.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”

Studying For my TEFL. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Well that is certainly good news. I also found out that you can apply for help with course fees etc if you are resident in the UK , so as long as my dip ed gets me credit for level one and two i should be able to complete before i leave. Which is brilliant. Will keep you posted on the progress and any problems one might encounter, when I speak to them next i will find out about distance learning from abroad.

Cheers

Hardcore Soldier Array Unqualified Avenger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I am currently studying with the OU.
    If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.
    THAT WAS A LOVE TAP SUCKER!

Ajarn Chicken Array Ajarn Chicken's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

no problems with OU degree in Thailand....good luck

vCash
    Thanks

I recently completed an Open Degree with the OU and found them( and the courses, tutors, materials etc) excellent.

Have you told them you are in Thailand? It may be a good idea not to. All you need is an address back in the UK and a phone number for DHL. Any questions, give us PM.
    'Can I just shock you? I like wine'

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcbradshaw View Post
    Hi again. Well thank you for all your advice to my last post regarding Degree no degree teaching in Thailand. I have been making some progress and Have now completed 60 hours of study including the weekend practice for the TEFL Qualification.

I have also looked into the advice of finishing my degree. It isn't possible to finish it but someone recommended London External.

I didn't fancy what they had on offer and it looked as though my previous credit would not count or be relevant. So i have been looking at the Open University Open Degree.

I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding credit transfers but all being well, will only need to complete at least 2 x 60 point courses to obtain a BSc (Hons) (Open) Degree.

What I now need some advice on is the following:

Does anyone know anyone who is teaching or has taught with license with an (Open) Degree?
    Does the MOE accept the Open University as a valid institution (I can't see why not but....)?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    James
    If you transfer your credit you may be able to accept the BA Open after completing 60 points and then upgrade to the Hons by taking another course the following year. So you would have an accredited degree after completing one course. I know that if you have a BA Open they will let you do this but check with them about the number of points that you can use for a second OU qualification. that have been used for a first degree (they have a rule but I can't remeber what it is!!!!).
    Also don't tell them you are planning to study from abroad. The international fees are a lot higher and there are limited courses that you can study. Better to do it on the QT

Quote Originally Posted by thaitang View Post
    i have been doing a lot of similar like thinking and searching lately. the GF just told me about a page that shows all schools accredited with the Thai MOE and she told me Open University UK is listed (as accredited).

here is the link to the site but it looks like it is all in Thai script. maybe it will be useful for someone, especially if your Thai reading skills are better than mine. :D

oh well i guess no link until i boost my post count to >15. or maybe this will work... just remove the spaces.

http : // 203.146.227.7 / accredit / course_search_inter . asp

i have read of other teachers in LOS referencing degrees obtained from Open University. i am curious if it is possible to adjust the course load to accelerate the learning process or slow it down if required to a pace that one is comfortable with?

if so this would certainly be a big advantage of going this route for me... online / distance learning.

cheers,
    tt.
    They estimate that the 30 point courses take about 8hrs a week and the 60 point ones around 16hrs. Although from week to week it tends to vary depending on when assignments are due. They do run short 13 week 30 point courses from October to January and these take about 16hrs a week and if you're doing a 60 point course running from February to October you do have a couple of busy weeks, trying to finish one and start another, but generally the tutors are pretty good and will give you extensions on your assignments.
    Last edited by Andy_in_Thailand; 20th February 2009 at 18:19. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Got to be in it to win it Array jonniethai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

My degree was from the OU and I now teach in a top international school here. I am just finishing my PGCE which I think you can also do with the OU. Im doing mine at Sunderland Uni. I also got the CELTA at International house in Newcastle. In other words try and get as qualified as you can before you come or try like me study and work at the same time. )Be prepared not to have a life though).
    It will pay off in the long run.
    It took me 5 years to complete my degree while I was in England as I did 2 courses per year.

A masters studying here through the OU is 3 years depending on which one you choose and yes you just need an address in the UK so that materials can be sent to you.

Regards
    Wanna be philanthropist.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonniethai View Post
    I am just finishing my PGCE which I think you can also do with the OU.
    As I understand it, the OU does not offer PGCEs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonniethai View Post
    I now teach in a top international school here.
    And you live in Banglamung, Chonburi?

Must be tiring, commuting into Bangkok every day.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 20th February 2009 at 20:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

No offence, but my degree took 4 years of hard slog, while I did part time jobs, and raised a family.
    Whilst i have no ambition to become a teacher of English, i would like to think that one day I might be allowed to teach science/geography/mathematics/oceanography.
    Hardly likely here in Thailand, but hey, what the heck, one day they will wake up.
    p.s. I have been mentoring engineers in shipbuilding for many years, but had to learn Thai first,

Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Try to keep up cyrille they have been doing them for something like 5 years that I know of.

vCash
    Thanks

Correction - I meant to say they don't offer PGCEs in English teaching.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

They offer PGCE courses in six secondary subjects: Maths, Science, Design and Technology, Modern Foreign Languages (French, German or Spanish) and Geography.

Got to be in it to win it Array jonniethai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post

And you live in Banglamung, Chonburi?

Must be tiring, commuting into Bangkok every day.
    Fortunately, I go the other way to Rayong.
    Still a fair bit in petrol/Gasohol money, but worth it.