-->
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

  1. #1
    Studying For my TEFL. Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Hi again. Well thank you for all your advice to my last post regarding Degree no degree teaching in Thailand. I have been making some progress and Have now completed 60 hours of study including the weekend practice for the TEFL Qualification.

    I have also looked into the advice of finishing my degree. It isn't possible to finish it but someone recommended London External.

    I didn't fancy what they had on offer and it looked as though my previous credit would not count or be relevant. So i have been looking at the Open University Open Degree.

    I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding credit transfers but all being well, will only need to complete at least 2 x 60 point courses to obtain a BSc (Hons) (Open) Degree.

    What I now need some advice on is the following:

    Does anyone know anyone who is teaching or has taught with license with an (Open) Degree?
    Does the MOE accept the Open University as a valid institution (I can't see why not but....)?

    Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    James
    Last edited by jcbradshaw; 14th February 2009 at 00:14.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array Robin Friday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,592
    vCash
    10466
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    4409

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    It's a degree. A real degree. The MOE would have zero problem with it.

  3. #3
    New Member Array thaitang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    i have been doing a lot of similar like thinking and searching lately. the GF just told me about a page that shows all schools accredited with the Thai MOE and she told me Open University UK is listed (as accredited).

    here is the link to the site but it looks like it is all in Thai script. maybe it will be useful for someone, especially if your Thai reading skills are better than mine. :D

    oh well i guess no link until i boost my post count to >15. or maybe this will work... just remove the spaces.

    http : // 203.146.227.7 / accredit / course_search_inter . asp

    i have read of other teachers in LOS referencing degrees obtained from Open University. i am curious if it is possible to adjust the course load to accelerate the learning process or slow it down if required to a pace that one is comfortable with?

    if so this would certainly be a big advantage of going this route for me... online / distance learning.

    cheers,
    tt.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”

  4. #4
    Studying For my TEFL. Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Well that is certainly good news. I also found out that you can apply for help with course fees etc if you are resident in the UK , so as long as my dip ed gets me credit for level one and two i should be able to complete before i leave. Which is brilliant. Will keep you posted on the progress and any problems one might encounter, when I speak to them next i will find out about distance learning from abroad.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Hardcore Soldier Array Unqualified Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    68
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    66

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    I am currently studying with the OU.
    If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.
    THAT WAS A LOVE TAP SUCKER!

  6. #6
    Ajarn Chicken Array Ajarn Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    stop throwing bombs at me
    Posts
    310
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    18

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    no problems with OU degree in Thailand....good luck

  7. #7
    Regular User Array souldesire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post


    Rep Power
    2144

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    I recently completed an Open Degree with the OU and found them( and the courses, tutors, materials etc) excellent.

    Have you told them you are in Thailand? It may be a good idea not to. All you need is an address back in the UK and a phone number for DHL. Any questions, give us PM.
    'Can I just shock you? I like wine'

  8. #8
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    73
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    211

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by jcbradshaw View Post
    Hi again. Well thank you for all your advice to my last post regarding Degree no degree teaching in Thailand. I have been making some progress and Have now completed 60 hours of study including the weekend practice for the TEFL Qualification.

    I have also looked into the advice of finishing my degree. It isn't possible to finish it but someone recommended London External.

    I didn't fancy what they had on offer and it looked as though my previous credit would not count or be relevant. So i have been looking at the Open University Open Degree.

    I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding credit transfers but all being well, will only need to complete at least 2 x 60 point courses to obtain a BSc (Hons) (Open) Degree.

    What I now need some advice on is the following:

    Does anyone know anyone who is teaching or has taught with license with an (Open) Degree?
    Does the MOE accept the Open University as a valid institution (I can't see why not but....)?

    Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    James
    If you transfer your credit you may be able to accept the BA Open after completing 60 points and then upgrade to the Hons by taking another course the following year. So you would have an accredited degree after completing one course. I know that if you have a BA Open they will let you do this but check with them about the number of points that you can use for a second OU qualification. that have been used for a first degree (they have a rule but I can't remeber what it is!!!!).
    Also don't tell them you are planning to study from abroad. The international fees are a lot higher and there are limited courses that you can study. Better to do it on the QT

    Quote Originally Posted by thaitang View Post
    i have been doing a lot of similar like thinking and searching lately. the GF just told me about a page that shows all schools accredited with the Thai MOE and she told me Open University UK is listed (as accredited).

    here is the link to the site but it looks like it is all in Thai script. maybe it will be useful for someone, especially if your Thai reading skills are better than mine. :D

    oh well i guess no link until i boost my post count to >15. or maybe this will work... just remove the spaces.


    http : // 203.146.227.7 / accredit / course_search_inter . asp

    i have read of other teachers in LOS referencing degrees obtained from Open University. i am curious if it is possible to adjust the course load to accelerate the learning process or slow it down if required to a pace that one is comfortable with?

    if so this would certainly be a big advantage of going this route for me... online / distance learning.


    cheers,
    tt.
    They estimate that the 30 point courses take about 8hrs a week and the 60 point ones around 16hrs. Although from week to week it tends to vary depending on when assignments are due. They do run short 13 week 30 point courses from October to January and these take about 16hrs a week and if you're doing a 60 point course running from February to October you do have a couple of busy weeks, trying to finish one and start another, but generally the tutors are pretty good and will give you extensions on your assignments.
    Last edited by Andy_in_Thailand; 20th February 2009 at 18:19. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9
    Got to be in it to win it Array jonniethai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rayong
    Posts
    369
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    120

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    My degree was from the OU and I now teach in a top international school here. I am just finishing my PGCE which I think you can also do with the OU. Im doing mine at Sunderland Uni. I also got the CELTA at International house in Newcastle. In other words try and get as qualified as you can before you come or try like me study and work at the same time. )Be prepared not to have a life though).
    It will pay off in the long run.
    It took me 5 years to complete my degree while I was in England as I did 2 courses per year.

    A masters studying here through the OU is 3 years depending on which one you choose and yes you just need an address in the UK so that materials can be sent to you.

    Regards
    Wanna be philanthropist.

  10. #10
    Hangin' Around Array Cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    17,697
    vCash
    90000
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    8363

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by jonniethai View Post
    I am just finishing my PGCE which I think you can also do with the OU.
    As I understand it, the OU does not offer PGCEs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonniethai View Post
    I now teach in a top international school here.
    And you live in Banglamung, Chonburi?

    Must be tiring, commuting into Bangkok every day.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 20th February 2009 at 20:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #11
    New Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bang Saray, Thailand
    Posts
    98
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    13

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    No offence, but my degree took 4 years of hard slog, while I did part time jobs, and raised a family.
    Whilst i have no ambition to become a teacher of English, i would like to think that one day I might be allowed to teach science/geography/mathematics/oceanography.
    Hardly likely here in Thailand, but hey, what the heck, one day they will wake up.
    p.s. I have been mentoring engineers in shipbuilding for many years, but had to learn Thai first,

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    As I understand it, the OU does not offer PGCEs.
    Try to keep up cyrille they have been doing them for something like 5 years that I know of.

  13. #13
    Hangin' Around Array Cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    17,697
    vCash
    90000
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    8363

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Correction - I meant to say they don't offer PGCEs in English teaching.

  14. #14
    Established User Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Soi Squalor
    Posts
    156
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    They offer PGCE courses in six secondary subjects: Maths, Science, Design and Technology, Modern Foreign Languages (French, German or Spanish) and Geography.

  15. #15
    Got to be in it to win it Array jonniethai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rayong
    Posts
    369
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    120

    Re: (Open) Degree from the Open University (UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    As I understand it, the OU does not offer PGCEs.



    And you live in Banglamung, Chonburi?

    Must be tiring, commuting into Bangkok every day.
    Fortunately, I go the other way to Rayong.
    Still a fair bit in petrol/Gasohol money, but worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. List of university addresses and contacts
    By Flatlander in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th October 2009, 14:20
  2. College vs. University Degree
    By buddahas in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11th August 2007, 22:43
  3. Thai University vs. Online Degree
    By barfomcgee in forum Paperwork
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12th May 2007, 08:52
  4. Online degree or university degree in LOS
    By itrimble in forum Practicalities Of Living In Thailand
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13th August 2005, 18:16
  5. Is it possible to teach university with unrelated degree?
    By Anonymous in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th October 2004, 22:27

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •