Thread: Newbie Intro and Questions!

vCash
    Thanks

Newbie Intro and Questions!

Hello!

Just thought I would introduce myself .

I live in Canada, I am in my last year of secondary school and I will be attending university in the fall. I'm a stranger to Thailand and teaching, but I do have a serious interest in trying it out in several years. I know that I am probably a lot younger than a lot of you on the boards and that any kind of career is quite far off for me, but I am very eager to learn as much about life in Thailand as possible before I make any commitments.

Also, considering I am currently applying to universities I thought it might be helpful to ask what everybody thinks would be the most useful degree program to go into for teaching in Thailand. I suppose it's a good time to ask since I am just starting out and can choose anything at this point. I am trying to apply for programs that reflect my interest in living and working abroad, but I'm not really sure what will help me the most; honestly, it's quite overwhelming.

I have applied to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in International Studies, with Humanities as a second choice. In addition to teaching ESL, I have a keen interest in working with an international development agency such as the Red Cross - that is why I have not applied to the Faculty of Education. But who knows? I'm thinking a volunteer program abroad sometime in the next couple of years will help me decide whether or not I will stay with teaching.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Any advice you may be able to give me is greatly appreciated!

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Newbie Intro and Questions!

Hello and welcome.
    A degree that would serve you well is a teaching degree in, teaching English. It would serve you well not just here in Thailand, but in any non-native English speaking country. A masters would be good. Math and science would also work for EP programs. With a masters you could teach in universities.
    As to what Thailand is like; come over on a vacation, avoid the tourist areas, and experience the real deal.
    Good luck.
    Frederick Douglass: Find out just what any people will quietly submit to
    and you have found out the exact measure of injustice
    and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these
    will continue till they are resisted with either
    words or blows, or with both.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn;
    Dont believe them, dont fear them, dont ask
    anything of them.

Regular User Array been there done that's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

hey, what do i know, i was a liberal arts major .

but if your college/university had a program were while u get your B.A., you also became a certified teacher, that could help down the road .
    Once is great.
    Twice is too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

1. finish a BA in any subject you like.
    2. volunteer (doesn't Canada have something similar to the Peace Corps?)
    3. make contacts from your volunteering...aid agencies, ngos, organizations like that...
    4. learn about funding, how to get it, how to apply it, how to impress with what little you have...
    5. climb the ladder of aid agencies and the like until you become a country director and have a role in policy-making and execution...
    6. retire a wealthy person...doing well by doing good...

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I wouldn't come to Thailand looking for work beings so young without a degree or a nest egg. If you can afford a holiday, then come over and have some fun. Go to University and get a degree before looking to be an EFL instructor. Yes, you can find work without it, but you will be able to offer more and receive better conditions once you have an education. I would suggest double major. Whatever subject that you prefer and then double in Education. You can minor in Education in many states in the US and get certified. It only takes 18 credits and one semester of student teaching to get certified in a few different states. I have no idea about other countries, but double majoring isn't that hard. Why not get to BA/BS at the same time. I only had to take a few summer classes to finish in the 4 years.

The old saying "you only regret what you don't do" isn't always true. I have regretted quite a few things that I did. Sometimes if I just waited and did things in a slightly different order, things would have been a lot easier.

I don't think that University is for everyone, and I also don't think that taking some time between high school and University is a bad thing. I think that some people need to mature in the world before going to school. But don't piss away any opportunity that you have now for some romanticized way of life. Thailand can chew someone up and spit them out bitter as hell if they don't plan things.

Good luck on your journey, whichever way it takes you.

vCash
    Thanks

Thank you to everyone for your all of your great feedback!

I'm a bit unclear about the whole double major business. I'm thinking I will book an appointment with a university academic advisor soon so I can find out all of my options. I want to major in Arts and Social Sciences and the joint major programs available are quite limited and rigid, from what I have looked into.

Don't worry franklyspeaking, I have no intention of attempting to find work in a foreign country before acquiring a university degree! I am not deluding myself, although I would be quite happy to do so . I would like a bachelor's degree and a certificate in french language proficiency at least before looking into any job opportunities in Asia. However, I will definitely be doing some casual travel in the near future!

Thanks again everyone; I'll be seeing you around the boards.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankly speaking View Post
    I wouldn't come to Thailand looking for work beings so young without a degree or a nest egg.
    Nah wait till your 60 and retired.
    Higher education is always the best bet but...
    If you are seriously thinking about an English Education major then perhaps you should dip your feet in the water and see if it suits you. It takes a bit of balls and some people just can't handle being expats...My point being just be sure your going to put all your effort, time and finance into something that will make you happy in the long run.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsation View Post
    just be sure your going to put all your effort, time and finance into something that will make you happy in the long run.
    ...how could anyone be sure of all that...?