Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salary for new teacher with PGCE & CELTA

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Salary for new teacher with PGCE & CELTA

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    I think the key is experienced. the P.G.C.E only takes you so far. I think too many oeople focus on making the money first and not developing their teaching skills.
    I agree 100%. My point (to Mr Hales) was that if you have a Pgce and experience, then you will be looking at international schools. Whether the country takes education seriously or not is irrelevant. It's not as if the top international schools in Thailand have anything in common with the Thai education system or the Thai mentality for learning/education.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    What's this tiering business about? Is it simply a matter of grading the standard of the schools? How do I know if a school is low/mid/upper tier? (Hope this is not a stupid question!)

Are there any other good websites listing international school openings apart from TES?
    Use the search feature on this web board. Type international schools. Lots of info here.

http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/the-sta...l-schools.html (Second Tier International Schools)
    (Obtaining a Teaching Position at at Real International School: An Impossible Dream?)Obtaining a Teaching Position at at Real International School: An Impossible Dream?
    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/the-sta...l-schools.html (International Schools)
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My_Kow_Lope View Post
    ...if you have a Pgce and experience, then you will be looking at international schools. Whether the country takes education seriously or not is irrelevant. It's not as if the top international schools in Thailand have anything in common with the Thai education system or the Thai mentality for learning/education.
    yeah of course, you're right.

i still think that between getting experience (a) in an international school in thailand or (b) in a school in england. it's gonna be better in the english school.
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

My degree is in English literature (Guessing that would go down quite well?)

Yes it will.

How do I know if a school is low/mid/upper tier?

Salary and benefits offered. The one that makes you fill out an online application form is the cream of the crop in my book.

Are there any other good websites listing international school openings apart from TES?

Not really, although if you want American schools then try cis.org

And, assuming I take this job at the language school should I then request a rolling contract as opposed to signing a 1yr deal? Or more to the point, are they likely to offer such a deal?

As I said before, pretty much your only way into an international school with no experience is being in the right place at the right time and that will involve being able to start straight away. Keep yourself flexible.

Can't imagine there are too many Welsh speakers in Thailand!

I'm Welsh, but not a Welsh speaker.
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

same here...

actually 1 word i know is... pen pydyn (sp?)

Yai
    New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the links, will start researching. I kind of figured that British experience would be the most useful but was anxious to start teaching abroad even if it means setting myself back a few years in terms of salary etc...

Teaching abroad isn't just a matter of the travel for me though and I hope to receive support from employers with regards to my development as a young teacher. Surely the good international schools put some time and effort into developing new teachers??!!

Process - Swap the first y for an i and you've got a 1st class welsh insult (pen pidyn) - guess you know what it means!? 'cachu bant' is another good one. Nice to hear from Welsh people abroad - do you spend as much time as I do explaining where Wales is that it IS a real country and not a village in England!?

Thanks everyone

vCash
    Thanks

I just say I come from England - it's easier.

vCash
    Thanks

lol yeah...i got quite annoyed about it! My intro lessons would always be names n all that...with a map of the UK highlighting Wales! I did some gigs at hotels too & was happy to see the younger fellas knowing Wales...only cause of Ryan gigs but so what

& ye pen pidyn - disck head
    what's cachu bant?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    My degree is in English literature (Guessing that would go down quite well?)
    It'll make no difference at all if you are just a language school grunt.

( I really do know )

You're getting great advice here - you need to digest it.

I think I can speak for quite a few people when I suggest you pm peeliorion in particular.

Post #8 just about sums it up.

Good luck.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    Why did you become a teacher? As others have said get yourself some Western experience. No one is going to develop you as a teacher in Thailand. You may well be on your own. The real experts are in the West. Learn from them, become a good experienced teacher and then the world is your oyster.
    I was a mentor teacher. I used to tell my trainees, let Los Angeles Unified School District train you (which it did a good job at by the way) and then pick some place you want to raise a family and teach there. In your case, perhaps let London train you, then try to get one of the great jobs here at Pattana, Harrows, etc. That pay 100,000 per month, have benefits of international standards, include provisions for retirement accounts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12