Thread: Help a Colombo-Australian in LOS! (P-p-please!)

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Help Help a Colombo-Australian in LOS! (P-p-please!)

Hello everybody! Yes, I’m new, Yes, I’m kindly asking for your help even when I’m the 8750th case of a newbie in Ajarn and yes, I would reallyreallyreally appreciate your help and advice in this thread

Ok, for the sexy and succinct background, here we go:

• 25 years
    • Born and raised in Colombia
    • Moved to Australia 5 years ago and lived there ever since (Temporary resident, no passport)
    • Started travelling 3 months ago, already in Bangkok, Tourist visa
    • Bachelor in Social Communication (Lovely buzzword for Journalism) in Colombia
    • Master Degree in International Relations in Australia (3 years)
    • Graduate Certificate (40 hours) in Introduction to Pedagogy (Teaching 101) (Whispering: .... onlinecourse...)
    • No real school-teaching experience but have professional experience in training people to use computer-related stuff in Oz
    • No TESOL, CELTA or certificates like that. Interested in getting one later, but need to secure an income first. Toying with the Idea of making this a career, get all those fancy certificates and travel the world teaching
    • Interested in teaching English or Social Science (Geography, history...)
    • Professional-Near native levels of English, want to believe. I been writing for a living for the past 2 years in Australia (And now some of you will point out like a 100 grammar mistakes in this post, of course...)
    • Still sort of an accent. Trrrryyyyyiiinnnggg to taalllllkkkkkk rrreeeeaalllly sllloooowwww to vocccaaallisseee annnnd disguiiiiissseeee it
    • In an ideal world it shouldn’t matter but yeah: White. Not sexy-tanned Latino debonair that will make love to your wife in the dance floor –well- but white-bone boring guy who “Looks Caucasian” (I don’t even know how to dance Salsa ;_; )

So, what am I looking for?

• Position in either English, or, if I have the chance, Social Sciences (As soon as possible!)
    • Wishing to stay in or close to Bangkok (Ayutthaya and Lop Buri, for example, are still a-ok)
    • Im not embracing for the super-duper salary (Im a 25 y/o Colombian, I will survive!) but of course, within boundaries
    • Planning to stay here from 6 months to a year.
    So, what am I asking help for?

• Errrr.... where to start???
    • Is time worthy to apply for Ajarn jobs or that is for “real teachers” only with nice certificates and diplomas?
    • Any other places? Websites, just walk into schools and ask? If I want to go for a social sciences position, what should I do?
    • Plan B: Is there any hope to teach Spanish here? Where should I look?
    • Any other social-adaptation advice you feel I should know?
    Im pretty much up for anything, but I simply don’t know where to start first!! I would again reallyreallyreally appreciate any feedback here. May your deity of worship grant you 40 non-operated girls in paradise for your help!!

vCash
    Thanks

Welcome Senator - get a sixty day tourist visa, about $4000 in cash and come suckit and see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you can't say something nice about someone, shut the f*k up
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks T!

Got the 60 days visa (but spend a month travelling so Ill renew it this week (The first time you can renew it without leaving, right?)

The cash... Ill survive for a while. Maybe iill stick to Archa instead of Heineken or even better just a 15bh ice coffee

I wont suck it before a nice dinner or least put a ring on it

Now what?

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Roark View Post
    Plan B: Is there any hope to teach Spanish here? Where should I look?
    I put two Spanish tutor jobs on the ajarn jobs page last week. Make the most of them - they are few and far between.

vCash
    Thanks

...check universities for Spanish departments: Chulalongkorn has one that is quite active...
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Greetings senator

Best to look for spanish language teaching role, or take a TEFL at a low level government school, like assumption in Rayong. They take on all sorts from what I have seen.

Cheers

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi, Thank you all for the feedback! Keep it coming.

I know that I mentioned Spanish teaching as well but I have to clarify that is an alternative, a desired part-time job for some extra cash. My primary objective is definitively teaching in English so I can get some experience and, together with a TESOL certificate (Or similar, I have to read more about those courses) have the chance to go to other countries such as Korea, Japan, Middle East, etc in the future.

Thanks for pointing out those tutor jobs, Bangkok Phil; preparing CV now...