Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Newbie Plan - Please offer advice to make the plan better :)

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Money!!!!
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

vCash
    Thanks

Okay my thread has been hijacked by random blurbs, lol. There have been some helpful comments though. What about my plan to find a school where I could use my math degree to teach math, and use the TEFL for english, so my wage would be more? Possible anyone?
    The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Use your math degree to teach math. There is a large demand for English speaking math teachers, and you can get a decent wage as one.

As far as the TEFL, they don't prepare you for working in a Thai school. Forget about the 'valuable teaching experience' nonsense that you may hear. You'll pick up far more on the job.
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array Warhammer820's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by take1risk View Post
    Okay my thread has been hijacked by random blurbs, lol. There have been some helpful comments though. What about my plan to find a school where I could use my math degree to teach math, and use the TEFL for english, so my wage would be more? Possible anyone?
    Yeah, sorry about that. It happens nearly every thread. I wish you luck and please keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Money!!!!
    Plans.. shmans...

It's all about how much you can make and can take.

vCash
    Thanks

Since you have no teaching experience, I recommend the Cambridge CELTA at International House which has been invaluable to me, even whilst teaching science! Knowing your subject is one thing, teaching it is another & teaching it to foreign language students is a completely different kettle of fish. IH will help you with accommodation either at Metropark or Aiya Residence; I recommend Aiya which at 9k per month is a no brainer.

Maths teachers are in demand at Bilingual Schools although you'll be on the same wage as the PE teacher (30-35k starting) . It will be easier for you to find a job than him though.

I recommend coming in with a double entry TR visa (IH won't sponsor a B) which the school will be able to convert for you in country at immigration, most likely for free. I came in on a single entry & had go on a 6k visa run to Cambodia because I didn't have enough days left to convert.

Good luck.

Established User Array Soi Ghost's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

A TEFL is worth your time in IMO and almost all jobs require one. Yes, you can get a job without it, but you can get a job without a degree also. Your ability and willingness to teach math is a big plus!

Not many TEFL providers can get you a 1-year NI-B visa before you leave your home country, but I know T&T can. That will make your first year here a lot easier and buys you some time to find a good job. Your job will get you the work permit.

Arriving and taking your TEFL in March is a good plan and is what I did (two years ago). I finished the TEFL in early April. I then had a few weeks to travel because most schools are closed for the Thai New Year. The new school year starts in mid May and if one can't find a job during the preceding weeks, you need to go home.

Just budget well because likely you will not see a FULL pay check until the end of June if you start mid May. You can go through 5K quick considering setting up an apartment and having some fun.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Soi Ghost; 22nd October 2011 at 01:38.

bet
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slamb View Post
    Knowing your subject is one thing, teaching it is another & teaching it to foreign language students is a completely different kettle of fish.
    So why would a TEFL certificate, teaching English as a foreign language, possibly help someone who is teaching maths?

Maths is maths, regardless of the medium of instruction. Whilst there may be a need to explain particular aspects when solving word problems, the problem solving methodology is more important.

Besides, in an English/Bilingual program, there will be a bunch of TEFLers trying to get the Ss absorb the language.

My one piece of advice to the OP would be to reflect upon the issues that you, as a student of mathematics, found difficult. What misconceptions did you ever encounter? What methods helped you mature your own mathematical knowledge?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cluezo View Post
    If they only knew that they had passed the coursed the instant that they paid the fee.
    that might of happened at your course but i can't remember the last time everyone who started our course passed. granted most who fail drop out, but some trainees on our course get to the last day and we have to tell them they didn't pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bet View Post
    As far as the TEFL, they don't prepare you for working in a Thai school.
    still wearing those blinkers bet? while your statement has some truth in it, a flat out generalization doesn't help our OP. but you keep playing that broken record mate. i'm sure someone will listen.

vCash
    Thanks

So why would a TEFL certificate, teaching English as a foreign language, possibly help someone who is teaching maths?

Maths is maths, regardless of the medium of instruction. Whilst there may be a need to explain particular aspects when solving word problems, the problem solving methodology is more important.
    Good grief.

Firstly, he has no teaching experience & the CELTA will teach him about modern student-centred teaching methods. If he doesn't do a TEFL (which is primarily a teaching course) he'll likely resort to getting students to copy from the board like our maths teacher does.

Teaching maths in a student-centred way is a hard task (even harder than science IMO) & he'll have to be creative; the CELTA will go a long way to help him do that.

Lastly, in an EP he will likely be nothing more than a technical vocab teacher; an EFL teacher in everything but name.

bet
    vCash
    Thanks

Teaching maths in a student-centred way is a hard task (even harder than science IMO) & he'll have to be creative; the CELTA will go a long way to help him do that.
    What nonsense. Where on a CELTA would anyone learn how to teach mathematical concepts in any sort of student-centred approach?

Does the CELTA train teachers in the use of geometrical software, algebra tiles, heuristic problem solving methodology, directed numbers? The list is never ending...

The fact is that any graduate of mathematics has the ability to transfer these skills regardless of whether they have a TEFL/CELTA or whatever.

in an EP he will likely be nothing more than a technical vocab teacher; an EFL teacher in everything but name.
    Well that really all comes down to him. There are methods to take the vocabulary demands of math and science out of the classroom, and focus on content rather than vocabulary. But that takes effort on the behalf of the teacher.

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by crew View Post
    still wearing those blinkers bet? while your statement has some truth in it, a flat out generalization doesn't help our OP. but you keep playing that broken record mate. i'm sure someone will listen.
    What blinkers would they be?

The perpetuated myth that Thai TEFL providers deliver quality content? I'm afraid not

The OP indicates that he would like to teach a subject that he has mastery in, rather than just having the fortune to have been born a native speaker of English.

I believe that I am qualified to give him some *unbiased* advice.

vCash
    Thanks

What nonsense. Where on a CELTA would anyone learn how to teach mathematical concepts in any sort of student-centred approach?
    People learn to TEACH on a CELTA. The teaching methods are easily transferred to subjects other than English (matching / ordering exercises, gap fills, mind-maps etc) & remember the OP has NO teaching experience.

Does the CELTA train teachers in the use of geometrical software, algebra tiles, heuristic problem solving methodology, directed numbers? The list is never ending...
    No, his maths degree does. As I've said, knowing your subject is one thing but teaching it is another.

The fact is that any graduate of mathematics has the ability to transfer these skills regardless of whether they have a TEFL/CELTA or whatever.
    Well now you're talking nonsense. Not everyone is born a teacher. 99.9% of people have to learn.

I see from the responses you seem to be ideologically opposed to TEFL courses so I suppose there's no point in discussing it further.

connoisseur of empathy Array cluezo's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by take1risk View Post
    Okay my thread has been hijacked by random blurbs, lol.
    What!!?? Impossible!!

Established User Array Soi Ghost's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

To the OP,

There are many threads debating if it is better to get a CELTA or a TEFL/TESOL. It's my opinion that you do need one, but really can't say which one is better (I obviously didn't take both). I have a TEFL through T&T, and it was a good course. It will not prepare you to be a teacher, but will give you a base and helped me. I think you will learn more the first month on the job than from any course you choose.

I also don't work for T&T, but if you are going to spend the money you might as well get them to sponsor the visa. The visa is good for a year, but you still will need to make a visa run (easy) to Cambodia every 90 days if you don't have a work permit. That is much easier than coming in on a tourist visa and converting later.

BTW, if you do chose T&T, PM me and I can give you some tips on the area. They are located near Phaholyothin soi 41 and there many places to live and things to do in that area. It's also about a 25 minute walk to the MRT (subway) or a quick bus ride.
    Last edited by Soi Ghost; 22nd October 2011 at 04:07.

vCash
    Thanks

TEFL, TESOL, CELTA...wow! This could all really frustrate an analytical guy like me to figure out what course to take. From the research it seems like CELTA is a little more advanced. Oh well, I'm probably going to stick with TEFL. Based on the posts from other members, it doesn't seem to matter as much in landing a job, as does your personality, interview skills, etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast