Thread: Is it hard to get a job without tefl

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Is it hard to get a job without tefl

I was thinking of going to Bangkok in January i was going to do a TEFL but now i'm thinking i might not and maybe just look for a part time job in language schools and then when term starts in May
    the experience i have from teaching in language schools might count for more than the TEFL. Is it hard to get a job at languages schools. If i go in January it seems it would be mostly language school jobs available.
    I looked at most the jobs on Ajarn and nearly all of them require TEFL but then i read a post that said most the jobs are from agencies and you would be better to just walk into schools and give them your C.V. I have a degree in Biology with no teaching experience. So is it really difficult to get a job with just a degree.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanetim View Post
    is it really difficult to get a job with just a degree.
    It isn't. The better paying jobs with better positions will be closed to you though. Getting some decent teaching experience behind you will help change that.

If i go in January it seems it would be mostly language school jobs available.
    There won't be many positions in January.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pants View Post
    It isn't. The better paying jobs with better positions will be closed to you though.
    as it happens, *with* a TEFL the better paying jobs with better positions will probably be closed to you too. alternatives are a) proper education credientials or b) a bling degree from a shiny uni.

that said, a) better paying will still be underwhelming and b) you really ought to consider a *real* teachering credential and not a TEFL if you're at all serious about this.... and yes, "and" is better than "or.". ...
    Imodium can't stop me.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    that said, a) better paying will still be underwhelming
    Especially in Thailand, and especially in a language school.

I'd personally check for positions at every high school I could find. Slaving away at a language school teaching bored teenagers all weekend for minimal pay will quickly kill any passion you might have for teaching.

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

is it really difficult to get a job with just a degree.
    No. You have a science degree, that will open up other avenues.
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Is it hard to get a job at languages schools. If i go in January it seems it would be mostly language school jobs available.
    Where did you read that? It's true that January is one of the quieter months for recruiting, but to say that any positions available are mostly for private language schools is incorrect. There's generally the usual mix of jobs available - just fewer of them.
    I looked at most the jobs on Ajarn and nearly all of them require TEFL
    Not sure that's true. Although I'm a great stickler for using quantifiers accurately, I would say 'most' jobs ask for a TEFL rather than 'nearly all'. And most can be 51%.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Advice on the online TEFL

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    Where did you read that? It's true that January is one of the quieter months for recruiting, but to say that any positions available are mostly for private language schools is incorrect. There's generally the usual mix of jobs available - just fewer of them.

Not sure that's true. Although I'm a great stickler for using quantifiers accurately, I would say 'most' jobs ask for a TEFL rather than 'nearly all'. And most can be 51%.
    Hi Phil,

You seem the wise one on this and the least negative so if you don't mind I would like to ask you about online TEFL's. I am also coming in January and am some what confused by all the information that is out there re TEFL's. As you will know each teachers story is different and in my case I have a lot of experience behind me. I am currently half way through my BEd and have decided to defer and take a year out in SE Asia. Before commencing my BEd I studied a BA in International Marketing French and Spanish and worked in that area for several years. I decided to make a career change from marketing and became a Primary School teacher working in a multi-denominational school. My role was as a learning support helping children with difficulties such as dyslexia and those with language issues such as children from Eastern Europe. I also worked as a class teacher during my 2 years there. I am now moving to Thailand to teach English and bring with me a good CV and glowing references from principals. I have limited funds so I took up a Groupon offer for a 120 hour online TEFL with TEFL Express and am now half way through it.

My question is will the online TEFL be sufficient on my CV when added to my previous experience? I am not looking for the TEFL to magic me into a teacher I already am passionate about teaching and and have classroom experience. I have read so many opinions re this online TEFL so I am looking for someone with teaching experience in Thailand to advise me. Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I really wouldn't bother with the online TEFL in your position.

Regular User Array The Perfect Present's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Science degree and a TEFL could open the door to a EP or Bilingual school paying around the 55k mark.

After a few years, say 2, if you're good and in the right place you could find yourself at a 70-80k Bangkok EP.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    I really wouldn't bother with the online TEFL in your position.
    Thanks so much Phil for your prompt reply. That puts my mind at rest. I can stop reading all the negative opinions online now and go to Thailand with the confidence in my ability to teach. It is so easy to be sucked into worrying before you leave and the need to plan everything. I traveled around the world for 1 year including Thailand when the Tsunami hit so this trip shouldn't phase me at all. I'm really looking forward to the move now.

vCash
    Thanks

Hi. Phil is correct an onlin Tefl in your case is a complete waste of money. And anyway I would argue a complete waste of money for anyone!

Do a celta or just go as you are. Although I would invest in a wetsuit judging by reports we get in KL!
    There are two types of men in the world. Intelligent men without religion and religious men without intelligence. The third type can't count.

vCash
    Thanks

^
    to summarize, you're unlikely to need *any* TEFL in Thailand. but you might elsewhere... and if you want something you don't necessarily need, a TEFL qualification isn't one that makes sense to do online. the part that is the most potentally useful (and recognized widely as such by employers) is the part wherein you teach while being observed by someone who knows what they're doing. if you don't have that in your TEFL course, anything beyond "free" is way too expensive (unless a specific employer requires it in which case do whichever ridiculous bullshit task they require).